Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times

Advertisements

Although, depending on the specific neighborhood, Wekiwa and Longwood have black bears roaming the area coming out of Wekiwa State Park. Being a former zookeeper, I would tend to want to live in such an area. :>))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
My mother and her husband love having the bears around. Also, for the past two season, mama doe and the babes have found safe haven in their yard

As long as you know how to live with them, the bears shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
You know I was curious about a move to Florida myself and I'm originally from New York but have called Virginia home for the past 7 years. Lake Mary looks nice but my biggest concern about Florida would be adjusting to a lower level of income. Annually we bring in about 104K, before taxes, and I've heard so many bad things about trying to earn a living in Florida. My brother and his finance live down there, in Ocala, they just had a new baby and wanted the family closer together in which case is the only reason I see to move there. I hear Ocala is just plain horrible, but see a lot more positives about Orlando, Winter Park, and Lake Mary.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
I live in Longwood, 2 miles from Lake Mary. Ocala is a do able drive from here. You'll find more work opportunities in the Orlando area than Ocala.

Wages are lower but so are the costs of real estate, real estate taxes and there are no state or local wage taxes in Florida.

If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer. I've been in Florida since the mid 80s.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

457 posts, read 627,308 times
If you can, leave those toddlers with a grandma or someone and come to Orlando and drive around. Visit these places. Go when kids get out of school and see how the neighborhood kids are behaving.

Before you settle on a house or place, visit the grocery store after people get out of work. Check out the local Wal-Mart or Target. See if this is a place you will be happy doing your errands. Drive the area at ten or eleven o'clock on a Friday or Saturday night. It's the best advice I got when I was relocating and saved me from moving to a place I wouldn't have liked.

Lake Mary is really nice. So is Lake Nona...and Windermere, etc. A lot of people like Dr. Phillips, but the shopping areas are a little too busy for my taste. Depends what you like.

Drive, drive, drive. Take notes.

Trulia is your friend, but a good realtor will help!! Get a realtor - a good one. I can recommend one when you're actually serious, if you want. She's not a shark and will be honestly happier selling you a cheaper house if she thinks you'll be happier. She's very professional and with a sound company. She's a gem! I went through three others before I found her. No way I'd recommend someone for the hell of it! (And I'm not in the business, lol, trying to make money. )

Whoever you pick, make sure they're with a company that is sound. There are many fly-by-night real estate companies and shady, part-time realtors. Choose wisely.

I was advised to have a lawyer review the paperwork before signing. I did that and he said everything was in order, so I could have not paid him at all. But you never know. Better safe than sorry, KWIM?

House hunting in a new place is a chore. Get in touch with a realtor BEFORE you arrive, so you can check houses and have some to see while you're here.

Good luck! And welcome to Orlando!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando