Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 68,457 times

Advertisements

I was curious as to why HOAs are so popular in Florida. Will not having an HOA lower the resale price of a house later on? Are people (neighbors) usually so bad that an HOA is really needed. We are live and let live kind of people, could really care less about neighbors letting their grass grow or painting their house whatever color.

Also are there online home searches that list HOA fees, seems like this is an important bit of information that I can't find on listings I have seen. Are there online searches that let you look for houses without HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
I live in a non HOA neighborhood in Palm Bay. It was one of the things I liked the most about this area. It does lead to lower property values because most people do want to live in deed restricted communities, but future resale value will be lower at a similar amount to current sale prices. In other words, a $200k house will sell for say $225k in the future regardless of a HOA, it will just be a bigger house in a non HOA area due to lower property values. And no, my neighbors don't let their grass grow too long and don't paint their houses funny colors.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I used to live in a HOA subdivision but don't live in one now. The one I lived in wasn't too strict but the homes were on 0 lot lines. All of the houses were very similar. My DH has a landscaping biz so we needed a place to store his equipment. We also have a travel trailer. We keep our property very neat and for the most part, most neighbors do keep their property neat. The ones that don't just may not have their lawn mowed all the time. It doesn't bother us.

We can do what we want with our property which is what we like. We can paint our house whatever color we want. We can have a bonfire when we want. We have a half acre now and enjoy the bigger lot. The homes are older in my new neighborhood but they a different, not all the same. We have mature trees. We built our house 7 years ago to have the way we like it.

It's up to you what you like. When it comes to resale, the homes in a non HOA are slightly less for comparable homes.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallbabies View Post
I was curious as to why HOAs are so popular in Florida. Will not having an HOA lower the resale price of a house later on? Are people (neighbors) usually so bad that an HOA is really needed. We are live and let live kind of people, could really care less about neighbors letting their grass grow or painting their house whatever color.

Also are there online home searches that list HOA fees, seems like this is an important bit of information that I can't find on listings I have seen. Are there online searches that let you look for houses without HOA fees.
Don't confuse numerosity with popularity. Local government has generally been mandating that new subdivisions be burdened with HOAs for quite some time. It is difficult to find a newer home that is not burdened by an HOA. HOAs are numerous due largely to government mandate, not popularity.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Depends on where you are buying. HOA's are more common in the suburbs. Many of the most affluent neighborhoods in Winter Park and downtown are HOA free. I would never buy in a neighborhood with an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando