Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best area in Central, FL
Apopka 0 0%
Celebration 2 15.38%
Ocala 2 15.38%
Oviedo 4 30.77%
Winter Springs 3 23.08%
Winter Park 3 23.08%
Winter Haven 1 7.69%
Lake Mary 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM

35 posts, read 154,125 times

Advertisements

I have read through so many posts & threads and it doesn't look like there is a compiled list of cities in Central, FL that have been recommended and backed up w/facts. We are looking to relocate fron Buffalo, NY in 2 years because my job will offer me the opportunity to relocate to Florida and to avoid major hurricane damage we thought central would be best. I definitely want to be close to Disney, and have great high schools, but I do not want a major culturally divided neighboorhood with questionable crime. I would obviously like a nice suburban, geeky area similar to where I am now thats not overpopulated. Please help us with our quest. Buffalo has become very ghetto and jobs are scarce. Every corner has a Walmart and a bus stop, there is crime everywhere and our weather sucks! Don't even get me started on our taxes. I have a 1,026 sq ft starter home taxed out at $5,600 a year. Utility bills are also a whole other story. Thank you all for your time and input!!!!
here is where I have considered-
*Apopka
*Celebration
*Lake Mary
*Winter Springs
*Oviedo
*Ocala
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM

713 posts, read 2,671,095 times
Default Hey, bills, I'm a Buffalo Girl transplanted to FL 4 some years now...

And although I know my way around FL somewhat, I've been sidelined for a few years as far as travel goes. Incident., if you think NY taxes are high now, well, if a certain person becomes prez., it's going to be like that all over the country. We cannot give out all those promised freebies w/o it costing the taxpayers. Nothing's for free. It's all paid by our taxes. High taxes in some cases. Anyway, I've recently visited Winterhaven and I was saddened to see how bad it's gotten. Then again it just might be the area I went through. I hear Orlando has bad crime but opportunity so that's a trade off. Ocala seems best as far as I can tell, maybe Celebration and you might want to look into Spring Hill, FL esp. if you want to grow with a town, however it would be more than an hour's drive to Orlando.
I'm much more south than all the above but if we got price out, I'd probably would go Ocala and maybe St. Augustine, Amelia Island but then I'm use to the east coast.
Best wishes finding your place in the sun.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Although horse country is beautiful, I still don't see how anyone can actually see any appeal to the city of Ocala except for the humongous supply of cheap homes and it's "Southern", like that's a good thing to EVERYONE (not saying that isn't good for some). Oh yeah, and few Hispanics, since that seems to be top priority on here. The surrounding areas are just a bland mishmash of strip malls and cheaply built cookie cutter homes, and sorry, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ocala is second only to the city of Orlando in it's crime rate. The schools are not good either.

That being said, the scenery is beautiful compared to other parts of Florida, but actual quality of life is totally lacking, except for the cheap (in more than one way) homes and land. Winter Park, Winter Springs, Oviedo and Lake Mary are much cleaner, more attractive, safer and all around better places to live. Winter Park even has some living history and charm to it! Actually, all of those cities are better. Yes,however they are more expensive except for Winter Haven which is another overrated "Southern" town with high crime, NO career opportunities and generally poor schools. Not putting down the people that live there, it's just that those areas seem overrated to me.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-05-2008 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM

37 posts, read 153,015 times
Celebration is owned and commanded by Disney. In order to live in celebration you have to sign a 216 (approx) page rules and regulations order set up by Disney. It's very cute, very upscale. I don't see why Ocala is appealing, but to each their own. Personally celebration is really cute and quaint, but it's not a bigger city. And the cheapest rent is probably around 1700 a mos.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,988 times
I would go with winter park myself.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 20,093 times
What do you mean about looking for a place thats "geeky"?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Why do these ancient threads keep getting bumped up lately?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:05 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquanda View Post
What do you mean about looking for a place thats "geeky"?
Nice

Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why do these ancient threads keep getting bumped up lately?
Because admins allow them instead of having an "expiration" date to close old threads to new responses. When I complained similar to you above in another forum about the same issue, many posters even said this should be * ENCOURAGED * so that people looking for a similar topic and stumbles across an old thread on it can use it to say their issue (whereas I feel they should start a new thread in that case).

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,235 times
Davenport
4 Corners
Clermont
Winter Garden

but since they were not included
Celebration
Winter Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando