Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,279 times

Advertisements

I've read up as much as I could but all the info I found has been from years ago. Is this still a bad area? More specifically Seminole St. I'm just relocating closer to work and need a temp solution until something opens downtown. I've been in Orlando just a year and live in Ocoee right off Maguire and Roberson/Moore. Just thought I'd get some input from people who been around longer. I would be there 2 months if I went. But its not looking likely. Seems like a giant 180 even for just a temp stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I wouldn't consider it a bad area. Just not as nice as the rest of Winter Park. This is a lower rental area, with more young kids and students living in the apartments. As such, it tends to be noisier and probably has a higher rate of property crimes. That being said I wouldn't be afraid to live there, just don't expect it to be resort style living like some of the nicer newer complexes throughout town.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM

I was asking because post from a few years ago were pretty much saying avoid that area. Aloma and 436 and close to goldenrod. I have been in the area a couple times to look around. It was daytime but didn't go too deep. I try to look at random things like the Lexus dealership that's real close and wonder if they would have those expensive cars around if it was that bad. But then again that dealership could have been there even when it was bad. I just don't know. All the houses in the area specific are old except for a few which seem to be greatly out of place. It's a 250k house surrounds by really old 50-80 k houses.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Well what's your situation right now? What area do you work in that you are trying to get closer to? What are you looking to spend? I'd be more than happy to give you some alternative suggestions that might work for your situation.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Well one of the biggest things for me was having to sign a long lease as a last option since I know I would be there long. I work closer to UCF but don't want to live over there. I prefer closer to downtown. If I can't get out of signing a lease then I'll do it. I look to move downtown in January. I'm looking to stay under 1k a month until my car is paid off in a couple months.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM

I would check Craigslist for month to month rentals. There are alot of those now with foreclosure and short sale properties, banks are looking to rent month to month just to keep someone in the property while they look for a buyer. Other options would be garage apartments or in law suites in the downtown area. Best way to find these is to just drive around the neighborhoods. You can probably find one for under 1k. Best neighborhoods to look at would be College Park and Colonialtowne as they are the most likley to have garage apartments and in-law suites.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Look south of downtown, south of Thornton Park, near South/Anderson. You can find decent (not nice) apartments there for 900-1100 per month, all within walking distance of DT (so factor in a slight reduction in gas perhaps). There are not many, but I've noticed a few always seem to available at any one time. As for lease lengths, I think most are 1 yr, but I know of one friend who got a 7 month lease at one smaller complex.

Also, look right around Lake Underhill. You are convenient to 408 there and can easily find a 2 bed, 1 bath for 1000 or less (maybe 800 even). Not the greatest of neighborhoods, but not ghetto or anything even close... and I bet if you agreed to pay an extra 100 per month, many landlords would be willing to let you go month-to-month.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well what's your situation right now? What area do you work in that you are trying to get closer to? What are you looking to spend? I'd be more than happy to give you some alternative suggestions that might work for your situation.
I don't really consider the Aloma and 436 area as a part of Winter Park. It may be address wise and because it is technically on Aloma.

It is, as the one poster stated, an area of a lot of less than desirable apartments where a lot of students live. It is more like a strip of apartments off the very busy 436.

I would think there are much nicer places to pick.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I know there are older apartments downtown for under $1000k. A friend of mine rented a 2 bd at the Columns on South St. for only $800/month. It wasn't the nicest or nicest, but it's the location you are paying. Other areas I haven't mentioned are Conroy and along Michigan Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: