Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

This is coming from a person who rode Lynx almost everyday of his life from 1995-2009

Technically running a bus system of that size is a 24 hour a day operation, but what I mean is the ROUTES themselves running 24 hours a day

Some routes come VERY close to doing so. Bus 8 runs until 3am, Bus 4 runs till 2, Some run until 1AM

Now I do understand that running some of the bus routes 24 hours a day isnt feasible right now due to funding. But Orlando's bus system is outdated when it comes to the way it operates. When I moved to Orlando in 1995, a majority of buses stopped running at 10pm, and a majority of the routes didnt run Sunday, now in 2011 Orlando is doubled in population and the bus system has barely expanded at all, and a majority of routes still only run once an hour, and dont run on Sundays. If they cant have them run 24/7 they should have ALL the routes at least run on Sundays

ROUTES that could be 24/7 running
-Bus 4 (South OBT)
-Bus 8 (Parramore, I-Drive)
-Bus 13 (UCF)
-Bus 15 (Curry Ford)
-Bus 104/105 formerly Bus 30 (Colonial Dr Crosstown)
-Bus 41 (Semoran Blvd Crosstown)
-Bus 42 (I Drive - OIA)
-Bus 50 (Magic Kingdom)
-Bus 102/103 formerly Route 39 (North 17-92 to Sanford)

Does anybody agree with me that the bus system in Orlando is still very lacking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 PM

206 posts, read 415,058 times
It's a tough nut to crack.

I've visited Boston, Chicago etc and not enjoyed 24 hour transit in those cities except for certain lines that run to the airport (didn't help me after a night out drinking).

On the other hand, we have a nice tourism industry - and those places run 24 hours (for employees anyway). But we're no Las Vegas (which DOES have 24 hour transit to accommodate a 24 hour city).

Because we're so spread out down here (LYNX covers more ground than the the states of Rhode Island or Delaware) I wouldn't count on it too soon.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I wouldn't count on it as the area population isn't transit-oriented and those who utilize it don't exactly have the biggest voices in the community in terms of calling for change. If this was a city that realized the values of an efficient transit system from a general population standpoint I would say yes, a 24-hour system might be inevitable. Unfortunately it's not the case and I fear for the SunRail system given the overall support and operation of Lynx to this point. In Orlando's defense, it's not a city specific issue rather a Sunbelt phenomenon where the desire to drive by one's self in a carbon-polluting vehicle is most prevalent.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
It's a tough nut to crack.

I've visited Boston, Chicago etc and not enjoyed 24 hour transit in those cities except for certain lines that run to the airport (didn't help me after a night out drinking).

On the other hand, we have a nice tourism industry - and those places run 24 hours (for employees anyway). But we're no Las Vegas (which DOES have 24 hour transit to accommodate a 24 hour city).

Because we're so spread out down here (LYNX covers more ground than the the states of Rhode Island or Delaware) I wouldn't count on it too soon.
I was about to say the same thing. I lived in Boston and the T shuts down early there as well. I don't think we really need a 24 hour system as much as a more efficient system under the current operating hours. Downtown you see the buses frequently but as they get further away, you rarely see them so I can only imagine how long the riders must wait. I do have hope for Sunrail because it's an exclusive right of way.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 24,568 times
I hope the system improves soon. I visited Orlando twice this month and I saw that there were a lot of people who use the buses. So the demand is there. At the very least, there should be more buses that run on major arteries. I love public transportation, and I would definitely use it if there is one nearby over driving

Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I was about to say the same thing. I lived in Boston and the T shuts down early there as well. I don't think we really need a 24 hour system as much as a more efficient system under the current operating hours. Downtown you see the buses frequently but as they get further away, you rarely see them so I can only imagine how long the riders must wait. I do have hope for Sunrail because it's an exclusive right of way.
SunRail will work just fine, it's commuter rail. This past weekend I helped my buddy's girlfriend move in with him from the Orange and Oak Ridge area to Deland. She still has to work in downtown Orlando and that drive daily is going to ravage her car. She was asking more details about SunRail than ever when it sunk in that her 15 min commute was now an 1:15 at the least. She dreams of the day when a 5 min drive to the Deland SunRail station is possible where she will bravely board that train, coffee in one hand, paper/e-reader in the other, and just sit back and relax on her way downtown. Will it take years for people to realize they can work DT and live way out in the exurbs and not have to kill themselves in traffic, sure. But once they do, those trains will be full, methinks.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 PM

206 posts, read 415,058 times
OrlFla - if she's really dreaming of that day...Why doesn't she just take the Express Bus now? It goes from Orange City to downtown Orlando with maybe 1 stop along I-4. Full of professionals going to work.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
OrlFla - if she's really dreaming of that day...Why doesn't she just take the Express Bus now? It goes from Orange City to downtown Orlando with maybe 1 stop along I-4. Full of professionals going to work.
I'm with you, but Deland will have a SunRail station that she could practically walk to. I did mention the Volusia express bus to her, but keep in mind not only is that a 20 min drive from their place in Deland, but then she gets to sit in traffic on the bus which does not have it's own right of way like rail. I support Lynx whenever I can but until rail catches on, I don't expect the bus system to get much better. Once there is a strong demand for flex bus service near these commuter rail stops, I predict Lynx will up their coverage and frequency which ultimately increases ridership.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm with you, but Deland will have a SunRail station that she could practically walk to. I did mention the Volusia express bus to her, but keep in mind not only is that a 20 min drive from their place in Deland, but then she gets to sit in traffic on the bus which does not have it's own right of way like rail. I support Lynx whenever I can but until rail catches on, I don't expect the bus system to get much better. Once there is a strong demand for flex bus service near these commuter rail stops, I predict Lynx will up their coverage and frequency which ultimately increases ridership.
After I read that post about how she could take the Xpress Link 200 from Deltona or wherever it stops, I thought "she'd still be sitting in traffic"

Im with you on this post OrlFlaUsa. Im for one am excited for SunRail and hope I can use it one day. I plan to come back to Orlando one day anyhow, by the time I do SunRail will be operational

If I move back to my side of town however, I wont get a SunRail stop for awhile. I'd have to use that planned Meadow Woods Station which will be in the 2nd half of SunRail's run

And speaking of Lynx, I think they should add a commuter bus line that runs from East Orlando to Downtown via the 408. 408 east is always so congested at rush hour, the bus could start at Waterford Lakes Town Center or UCF and then run down 408 right into downtown

Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
SuN Rail will be a waste. Trust me. UNLESS Lynx expands its lines and create more outreaching routes.

That being said I live in an area where in a mile or so radius of walking or driving I can get too these routes.

Link 8
Link 4
Link 42
Link 57
Link 40
Link 304
Link 441
Link 36.

Not Bad. I Can get too the airport, downtown orlando, florida mall, mellinia mall, prime outlet, premium outlet, international, festival bay, disney world, sea world, wet n wild, aquatica, discovery cove, the convention center, universal, kirkman, with one bus which I think it's pretty damn decent. I'm quite happy with the transportation where I live.

Bus 8 comes often in doubles or every 10 to fiften minutes on weekdays because it's such a rapid route. same with Bus 4.

FastLink 441 goes from Downtown orlando to osceola mall in 4 stops. not bad.

Link 304 can take me directly to disney.

Bus 8 doesn't stop the last bus until 2 something and starts again at 4 so 21- to 22 hours out the day are not bad.

I agree there can be some major route adjustments to reach more destinations without two or three transfers and timing adjustments but how? because Lynx doesn't listen to it's riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando