Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

So I've made the decision to return to Orlando once my current lease is up on year from now

Unless something major happens, my expenses run me about $1200 a month total (1/2 rent, groceries, gasoline, various bills, car payments, and car insurance), I currently bring in almost $1700 a month after taxes making $12.25 an hr at 40 hrs a week, so I should be able to save $500 a month before returning and I should have roughly $5,000 in savings when I do come back (before road trip expensies which should be around $300-$400 if gas doesnt go insane)

I know a counselor who works at the Taft Neighborhood Center for Families on S Orange Ave and Landstreet who said they help people find jobs, and she said $10 an hour would be difficult to get in Orlando without a degree, is this true?

If I can get $10 an hour at 40 hrs a week, I can survive on my own just fine, with mostly retail and now hotel experience, is $10 an hr feasible?

I saw another poster who asked about warehousing jobs, how much do those pay? I could do that for awhile

I've also decided to attend UTI upon coming home as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
It seems like most unskilled labor and customer service type jobs pay in the $8-9 hour range. Most retail jobs are $7.50, and most guest services jobs in hotels are $9 unless you've got a hospitality degree or a lot of experience in higher end hotels. Then they seem to go to a whopping $10.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
Why don't you try to get a job in a law firm as a runner/office assistant. Some pay pretty decently for a college age kid...

Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM

129 posts, read 448,197 times
Honestly, your best bet might a call center that pays hourly plus bonus/commission, as long as you can talk on the phone. Definitely not a career move, but it would pay the bills until you were done with school, and you could easily average hourly what you are getting paid right now in Vegas.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So I've made the decision to return to Orlando once my current lease is up on year from now

Unless something major happens, my expenses run me about $1200 a month total (1/2 rent, groceries, gasoline, various bills, car payments, and car insurance), I currently bring in almost $1700 a month after taxes making $12.25 an hr at 40 hrs a week, so I should be able to save $500 a month before returning and I should have roughly $5,000 in savings when I do come back (before road trip expensies which should be around $300-$400 if gas doesnt go insane)

I know a counselor who works at the Taft Neighborhood Center for Families on S Orange Ave and Landstreet who said they help people find jobs, and she said $10 an hour would be difficult to get in Orlando without a degree, is this true?

If I can get $10 an hour at 40 hrs a week, I can survive on my own just fine, with mostly retail and now hotel experience, is $10 an hr feasible?

I saw another poster who asked about warehousing jobs, how much do those pay? I could do that for awhile

I've also decided to attend UTI upon coming home as well
Winn Dixie Warehouse pays at least $10/hr. Have you checked out any jobs on Craigslist? Most receptionist jobs offer at least $10/hr. I see different jobs paying $10/hr. Also, try call centers. I know Sears and Convergys are hiring in Lake Mary. It's tough to find but it can be done. Good luck! I'll keep my eyes open. Also, does it have to be in Orlando?

Last edited by beckycat; 07-29-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Winn Dixie Warehouse pays at least $10/hr. Have you checked out any jobs on Craigslist? Most receptionist jobs offer at least $10/hr. I see different jobs paying $10/hr. Also, try call centers. I know Sears and Convergys are hiring in Lake Mary. It's tough to find but it can be done. Good luck! I'll keep my eyes open. Also, does it have to be in Orlando?
Craigslist posts are all telemarketing jobs, Im NOT doing telemarketing ever again. Did it twice out here and HATED it, its so monotonous, and people can be so nasty, its really demoralizing

I will never do a call center again, especially if its outbound only

But from how it looks, $10 an hour can be feasible for a guy like me in Orlando

What about those warehouse jobs? I know off of John Young between Taft-Vineland and Sand Lake Rd there is a lot of warehouses, and on Tradeport, and far South Orange Ave too. What do those pay around $12? I also may consider a warehouse position with Publix, I am in excellent standing with them and Im sure I'd have no issue getting a job with them again, it just has to be full time

Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Craigslist posts are all telemarketing jobs, Im NOT doing telemarketing ever again. Did it twice out here and HATED it, its so monotonous, and people can be so nasty, its really demoralizing

What about those warehouse jobs? I know off of John Young between Taft-Vineland and Sand Lake Rd there is a lot of warehouses, and on Tradeport, and far South Orange Ave too. What do those pay around $12? I also may consider a warehouse position with Publix, I am in excellent standing with them and Im sure I'd have no issue getting a job with them again, it just has to be full time
Most of the warehouse jobs require forklift certification.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
How about sales? I did sales after high school (I took a yr off before going to college) and made about $30k, which is pretty good when you're 20 yrs old. I know a girl who is a sales assoc at a Sprint store and makes like $60k.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:

Those jobs are inbound customer service if you can do that. I know about telemarketing and that sucks. I'm sure you'll find something. I'd talk to Publix warehouse since you've worked for them before.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Those jobs are inbound customer service if you can do that. I know about telemarketing and that sucks. I'm sure you'll find something. I'd talk to Publix warehouse since you've worked for them before.
I could do inbound customer service, that wouldnt bother me so much if people were calling me instead of me having to call them and try and pitch a sh*tty product they dont want

I actually swore I would never go back to Publix, but in retrospect, the way they do things and their philosophy on customer service adn the way their employees are treated really was something I had believed in and was passionate about. I may return to a store and try again to work my way into a management position

I wonder if my old store manager would hire me back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando