Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
And they were hired for the holidays (where I work hired 20 between end of October and Christmas) and were let go the first week of January.Where I work hired 20 between end of October and Christmas. Out of the 20 hired 2 remain as part timers. Oh yeah, and the rest of us-except for the full time store managers on salary are getting short hours-full timers between 25-30- part timers 0- 20 because there is no payroll to pay employees after using so many people in /December.
Yep, a lot of employers are doing that..."full-time" is 25-30 hours per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
The ones that cry because bosses give them 25-30 hours a week are the same ones that cry when bosses give them 40 hours a week.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I have a client in nursing that was just offered 2 jobs in a downtown hospital... So I know there is at least one opening there. Whats more her income exceeds $60k. For the IT side oft he world there are many companies locating here with the technical demands. We also have many already here. Take a look at Dice.com they cater to high end and techies. also look at Lockheed, SAIC, Semantic, EA Sports (its in the game) Verizon and Sprint as well.

I suspect you can do equally as well. When I was in the tech world here I was bringing down in excess of where you are combined, so I know its possible. I have some techie friends in the mid 70's. I'd bet with a little effort you can do far better than in AL.... plus no state income taxes...

Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 AM

142 posts, read 272,415 times
Thanks for the responses, I have had a few phone interviews for positions in Orlando, but most turn out to be short term work. Since I am working with a Security Clearance I think Lockheed would be a good fit if they are hiring.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 AM

63 posts, read 165,529 times
I can certainly understand how you feel. We moved to SC in 07 after I retired from County service and like you, we missed our friends and family and moved to Central Fl recently. We only did this bacause my wife was able to transfer jobs down here, otherwise we would have stayed put.
My advise is that unless both of you secure equally paying jobs here prior to moving, then I would not risk what could turn out to be a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: