Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM

47 posts, read 96,823 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter what race is what, everyone is different regardless of race. I'm white but very rarely I'll ever come across someone who's racist towards whites but it's happened. The blacks and Latinos here about all of them are usually friendly and I live in a good neighborhood and have them as neighbors and theres no racial tension whatsoever.

Don't stereotype everyone is different regardless of race.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therum View Post
It doesn't matter what race is what, everyone is different regardless of race. I'm white but very rarely I'll ever come across someone who's racist towards whites but it's happened. The blacks and Latinos here about all of them are usually friendly and I live in a good neighborhood and have them as neighbors and theres no racial tension whatsoever.

Don't stereotype everyone is different regardless of race.
You're right. Everyone is different regardless of race. But as someone who's thinking about moving has to consider what the climate/culture is in the area. Also, racism against African Americans is well-known to be institutionalized and so it benefits an African American to know how it shows itself in the target area.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM

399 posts, read 719,647 times
I can't speak for Orlando, since I don't live there. But in Miami which has a Hispanic majority, yes there is Latino racism toward Blacks. But it's not direct. It's the type that's done behind your back. For example they will talk to a black person but once they are gone they will say all of the racist stuff known to men. I've seen this so many times. So they live together but there is a dislike behind doors. You even have Latino's not liking other Latino's for whatever reason. It's all just dumb. Glad I wasn't raised to hate.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:55 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
I do not know if there is racism among the hispanic and black communities who live here in Orlando but I hear about it among some of the tourists. Here in Orlando we attract many tourists from Brazil. They come not just for the theme parks but to also buy things that because of import taxes cost way too much in Brazil. The make up a small percentage of the tourists but spend a large percentage of tourist money here. My coworker explained to me at the time that most of the Brazilian tourists were the well off upper crust of Brazilian society and that they look down on both speaking Spanish( they all speak Portuguese) and on dark skinned Brazilians. I noticed they were all very light skinned. I rarely saw any dark skinned black Brazilian tourists .

I know Brazil has many dark skinned people but I rarely saw them vacationing here in Orlando.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 PM

251 posts, read 637,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurialNeptunian View Post
Thanks for this post PhillyStress. Currently, my job is moving to Orlando and as a African American, I was curious as to what the culture and climate is like in Orlando and surrounding areas. Especially given Florida's recent spotlight when it comes to race relations. From this post, I conclude that the only good thing about Orlando is Disney World. Great.
Don't make the mistake and move here. You will be sorry..

Old 05-28-2014, 10:25 PM

66 posts, read 114,364 times
What's this Philly Stress? An academic research paper?

Believe it or not, the Orlando Metro Area is very segregated economically and racially. Just drive by Colonial Drive @ I-4 and you'll notice the change immediately. This is the way in which Orlando was planned. The poor with the poor and the wealthy with the wealthy... whites among whites, latinos among latinos and blacks among blacks. Some spots are integrated, but this isn't the norm.

Think in Winter Park (mostly wealthy whites) versus Pine Hills (mostly poor blacks) versus Azalea Park (mostly Hispanic) and there is no law or city ordinance requiring urban planners to design economically mixed neighborhoods.

I left Florida two years ago and I don't regret my decision. Tired of the pharisee republicanism where low wages dominate the labor market and state revenues are used to benefit corporations while the poor and middle class struggle to stay afloat.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
separation is due to economics and people gather to their own. There are racists every where, but I do not see that in cities as much. I feel le' money is what will get you shunned here,,, either you have it or you don't... other than that,,, stay out of the rural smaller areas. I do not see color, but I have heard negative stuff from people... ignorant people. You will be fine.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,393 times
Wow! Well, this has been informative. Funny, my family is moving to the Orlando area in the next month or two and like Mercurial, I wanted to get a feel for the racial climate within the metro area.

Getting that "feel" for Orlando is incredibly important as I have a 3 y.o. son and 5 y.o. daughter and with what's occurred in Florida as of late, I'm nervous for their well-being.

Ironically, I'm moving from Orange Country, California to Orange County, Fl (Windermere). My concern was being accepted into our community of choice simply because of the color of my skin. Many may not believe this should be a concern of mine, but the fact of the matter is they would be wrong.

Some thought we were crazy to move to "The O.C.", also known as the "Iron Curtain", or "Red (Republican-leaning), White (self-explanatory) & Scary". What we've found are incredibly caring folks (of all colors) with like-minded viewpoints (moderate for America, republican for Kalifornia) as ours. I believe that keeping an open mind allowed us to create lasting friendships and have generally positive job opportunities. BUT, I don't fool myself. I realize that knowing, "What's the deal", and who "Ross and Rachel" were, were paramount to me getting a job! "Awh Gina" wasn't even on "their" radar!

What am I trying to point out? There's very little room for movement in white-collar America for "sub-cultures"! REALLY!....OH, you don't have that association with what white folks gravitate towards, do ya? Well, you might as well be an Alien from another world because you're not going to be the "right fit" for a particular group. It's really as simple as that-could you be one of their "friends" out of work-you know, get a beer with?

As a black man, I was fortunate enough to grow up in, what was at the time (late 70s-80s) , the richest black community in the U.S., went to a predominately white high-school where I witness/immersed myself in all of the social maneuvering. It was an incredible experience that I benefit from to-this-day. Lived everywhere in the U.S.-travel overseas for work, unfortunately,most of my people do not get to experience this.

I keep going back to the comment that then Senator Obama made about "redistribution of wealth" and how it was received by white Americans-middle America. I laugh to this day about that because he was clearly talking about the richest 1 percent who were acting as "leaches on society" hording their wealth, not reinvesting in U.S. manufacture (i.e. jobs), basically killing off the middle class.

Obama, giving Americans the benefit of the doubt, felt he didn't need to explain further. Well, that just made it easy for rich folks to take emphasis off of them and turn it into a "whites vs. minorities" platform-easy to do when you have institutionalized racism and all ya'll (workin' on my southern-speak) are falling for it!

It's like no-one remembers their history anymore. We've just taken sides and stay entrenched within our "tribes".

Some of you are just regurgitating the some ole' arguments that have gone on for decades and the crazy thing is they're similar in construct as other not-my-responsibility topics. Take your pick; Veterans, Climate change, reparations,(haha). America doesn't like cleaning up its own messes because it cost too much, or more specifically, it'll cost rich folks too much! We sure can tell everyone else how to clean up THEIR messes though!

If you really have an issue with the decline of democracy (in our republic), do something. ANYTHING! Hey, start with the cable tv companies. Find out why they aren't competing against each other in the same marketplace. That's called a Monopoly-not very American right there.

OH, and back on the history bit. How do you not question the actions of one J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI's actions in South Central Los Angeles? What, you thought the Bloods and Crips were started by black people? Black folks; why are you backing something that was started by a white man to destroy your community out there (LA), all in the name of communism?

How do you not question a central Americian (OH:Iran was part of this) war financially backed by a certain Col. Oli North turning a blind eye to allowing the distribution of Cocaine in inner-cities throughout America? Yeah, you can say, "they didn't have to take the stuff" well, if you were part of a group of people that saw double the unemployment rate of white counterparts with no opportunities, you'd want to escape your reality too. All this happening JUST a decade after the largest shift in upward mobility within the African-American community. I ain't making this stuff up-it's ALL DOCUMENTED!

"They" got us right where they want us-fighting amongst ourselves. White folks; don't worry! we won't enslave you when we take over, OK? Work with us now! Black folks; stop acting like "crabs in a barrel". Ya'll know what I mean!

Last edited by 2GRX7; 06-07-2014 at 02:05 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
LOl. waiting when it get political, and in the end, I think that is one of the things that drives people, acceptance then fear. those are the key factors in mankind's ignorance. I think Orlando is a pretty good melting pot, again "le money" is what prevails here.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,393 times
Tiny, I'd agree with you, to a certain extent, but when I was young, not worrying and thinking everything was fine going into an unknown neighborhood with some friends netted me a "mini" race riot 9 vs 4! Luckily, we were 4 big football players against average sized teens. Sorry, but this is my history! Once bitten, twice shy applies.

Yes, having money places you into a "sub-culture" that, while the prejudices are still there, the will of white, black, brown, yellow, etc to "look beyond" race, prevails.

Last edited by 2GRX7; 06-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando