Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Again, your info is GREAT, and I heartily appreciate your taking the time to respond to a non-Floridian.

I have sent away for the free WDW DVD, so that should contain good info and have been reading the Disney link you have sent me. My idea of theme parks is limited to Hershey Park and Great Adventure in South Jersey, so the gargantuan scope of WDW really blows my mind./

I think my niece and I would love the Polyneisian or Contemporary best, but my nephew would adore the Animal Kingdom - Just HOW LONG of a bus ride to Magic Kindgom are we talking about? And is Epocot near the MK as well? Didn't realize I could rent a car for inside the park.
About 20 minutes probably, honestly I don't think its that long.

Epcot is not near the Magic Kingdom in the sense that you can't walk from one to the other. However, the monorail connects them, so its actually very easy to travel between the two parks. Also, both the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts are served by the monorail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
About 20 minutes probably, honestly I don't think its that long.

Epcot is not near the Magic Kingdom in the sense that you can't walk from one to the other. However, the monorail connects them, so its actually very easy to travel between the two parks. Also, both the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts are served by the monorail.
And you can actually walk to the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary faster than you will get there on the monorail.

I would sit down with the kids and ask questions about what they would like to see and do.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Thanks, you two!! Actually, we're not telling my nephew until a bit before leaving. He seriously wouldn't sleep...I kid you not - LOL!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
Before we lived here, we were at DW more times than I can count with our family and we always stayed at the "Carribbean Beach". It has a fun atmosphere and colorful rooms. Also is less expensive than the ones mentioned. bus rides are short and fun. don't worry about that.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,754 times
I work at the Contemporary, so of course I think it's best one!

My favorite restaurant is O'hana's at the Polynesian (a quick monorail ride from the Contemporary), you have to book it way ahead of time though.

Someone suggested the Wilderness Cabins, which are a very nice option for a medium-sized group. The have a boat directly to the Magic Kingdom and a launch that goes to the Contemporary where you can get on the monorail.

Another option if you were thinking about connecting rooms is a two bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts (we have one, Bay Lake Tower, at the Contemporary). They have three bathrooms and a full kitchen, and can sometimes be cheaper than two standard rooms at a Deluxe resort like the Contemporary or Polynesian. They are usually attached to a Deluxe resort, although Old Key West and Saratoga Springs are on their own.

With a cabin or a villa you know you won't be separated. For standard rooms we don't guarantee connects; although we do try very hard to fulfill those requests we can't guarantee it and sometimes it can be quite disappointing when they aren't available. Also, if you want a door between the rooms make sure you request a connecting room, don't ask for an adjoining room. A lot of guests think that connecting and adjoining are the same, but they aren't; adjoining rooms are next to each other but they don't have a door.

-Harry

Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Check out the new Art of Animation Resort!
Disney's Art of Animation Resort | Walt Disney World Resort

Generally I'm a Disney Freak! But I have to admit I'll be checking this out myself!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 AM

214 posts, read 468,342 times
people are extremely passionate about Disney. If you ask 20 people, you will get 20 different answers as to their favorite hotels.

I would definitely STAY AWAY during the Christmas/New Years time due to the crowd level.

A really useful book (you should be able to check it out from the library) is the 'unofficial guide to disney world'. Even if you get an older one, the information is basically the same - obviously the newer rides and attractions are not included. In addition to the 'disboards' there is also 'intercot' which is also a pretty active website.

First of all, you need to consider your budget - one of the 'deluxe' hotels on the monorail vs. a moderate or value. My favorite hotel is the polynesian - it is lush and gorgeous and on the monorail. If you will be spending most of your time at epcot and magic kingdom then a hotel on the monorail is your best choice if you can afford it. The contemporary is too modern for my taste compared to the polynesian.

If you are going for only 3 or 4 days you will definitely NOT be able to see everything. Epcot alone is easily at least a two day park to do it properly. You should probably start by looking at which parks interest you the most, then look at the hotels nearest there, then look at your budget.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
people are extremely passionate about Disney. If you ask 20 people, you will get 20 different answers as to their favorite hotels.

I would definitely STAY AWAY during the Christmas/New Years time due to the crowd level.

A really useful book (you should be able to check it out from the library) is the 'unofficial guide to disney world'. Even if you get an older one, the information is basically the same - obviously the newer rides and attractions are not included. In addition to the 'disboards' there is also 'intercot' which is also a pretty active website.

First of all, you need to consider your budget - one of the 'deluxe' hotels on the monorail vs. a moderate or value. My favorite hotel is the polynesian - it is lush and gorgeous and on the monorail. If you will be spending most of your time at epcot and magic kingdom then a hotel on the monorail is your best choice if you can afford it. The contemporary is too modern for my taste compared to the polynesian.

If you are going for only 3 or 4 days you will definitely NOT be able to see everything. Epcot alone is easily at least a two day park to do it properly. You should probably start by looking at which parks interest you the most, then look at the hotels nearest there, then look at your budget.

Good luck!!!
Excellent considerations - wish I could be there for a week...but just couldn't leave my dogs for that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando