Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM

41 posts, read 78,433 times

Advertisements

Enforce the left lane speeds which are for passing and ticket anyone going slower than the speed limit in the left lane as well as faster than the speed limit.

Make tickets higher than they currently are, for people speeding and impeding traffic, such as a minimum of $250, but if they are speeding in the left lane then double it.

No slower than 5 mph under any posted speed limit unless posted or to avoid an accident, people or other obstacle.

Third offence have license revoked for 5 years.

After looking at it then it is better to put up with a few annoyances than to have more laws passed.

Wider roads means more taxes. Not many people want more taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesButAlsoNo View Post
Wider roads means more taxes. Not many people want more taxes.
That's how the tolls came about.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Driving slow in a left lane is a ticketable offense ONLY on divided highways (those with exits, like I-4 & the toll roads). Surface streets are not subject to that kind of enforcement.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Driving slow in a left lane is a ticketable offense ONLY on divided highways (those with exits, like I-4 & the toll roads). Surface streets are not subject to that kind of enforcement.
I wonder how often it's enforced. It certainly need to be enforced more often in the Orlando MSA, IMO

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
And Im going to agree with you on this one leftee

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more drivers in the middle and right lanes (at the front of the pack too!) going 40-45 mph on John Young so I can rarely get around slow drivers these days

I've been weaving in and out of lanes lately on that road and got a warning for aggressive driving right near John Young and Deerfield Blvd

Can drivers be given tickets for going to slow?
Short answer, yes they can and should & I would have mentioned that to the officer who warned you about aggressive driving as to the need for it to get to your destination due to people illegally lally gagging in the FAST lane.

Unfortunately many people for years have not understood that they are NOT policemen and therefore have no business trying to regulate anyone's speed even if they are speeding, that's a police officers job and the left lane is the business lane for passing and traveling at the proper speed and not for lally gagging time wasters.

They should move over there to pass and then move out of it to travel at slower speeds if that's what they choose and allow traffic to flow properly.

But alas, that's only to exist in my Utopian dreams ..

Their slow driving in the FAST lane is every bit as dangerous if not more so then driving too fast. The problem is that if something happens behind them due to their careless and thoughtless slow driving they'll just keep on going, completely oblivious to ever knowing it happened like granny heading to the grocery store running people off the road avoiding her mindless antics to avoid an accident with her..

Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
I'd mail this cop a $100 check if I knew his address:

Cop trolls slowpoke in the fast lane - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 01:29 PM

57 posts, read 50,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
I just moved from Dallas and thought this is how driving in Florida is. I thought people are laid back and had nowhere to be on time.
oh, great. another person who moved to florida from another random big city in the u.s. and they think were they were from originally is superior. that sure is getting old.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:03 AM

18 posts, read 33,668 times
The 55 M.P.H. speed limit is the maximum limit that the Department of Transportation considers safe. When you exceed the speed limit, you are driving unsafely. When you are below the speed limit, you are more safe. More safe is better than unsafe.

You could write to your congressman to have the speed limit raised or you could leave home earlier so you would not find it nessecary to drive at the maxmum speed limit.

Your concerns about road rage are valid concerns. It is a pretty good bet that, if you are not armed, the other guy is in Florida. Don't encouage road rage. It is very dangerous in south Orlando.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronclimer View Post
The 55 M.P.H. speed limit is the maximum limit that the Department of Transportation considers safe. When you exceed the speed limit, you are driving unsafely. When you are below the speed limit, you are more safe. More safe is better than unsafe.

You could write to your congressman to have the speed limit raised or you could leave home earlier so you would not find it nessecary to drive at the maxmum speed limit.

Your concerns about road rage are valid concerns. It is a pretty good bet that, if you are not armed, the other guy is in Florida. Don't encouage road rage. It is very dangerous in south Orlando.
Road rage is very dangerous anywhere in this town, state, and country really

How is going 40 in a 55 more safe than going 55 if everybody else is going 55, and the if one driver is going 40-45 with nothing but open road in front of him?

That slow driver is not only being selfish by holding the other cars back and impeding traffic but that could cause an accident if some idiot tries to switch lanes and doesn't notice the left lane is traveling 15+ slower than he is going (which we'll say is the speed limit of 55) and then rear ends the car at the back of the mile long lane of cars putting up with the front cars selfishness. The slow driver just indirectly caused a major wreck on John Young and now there's a traffic jam thanks to him as he chugs along at 10-15 mph below the limit without a care in the world, probably yakking away on his cell phone

Seriously, some of these people do it just to make others mad and I have a VERY hot temper on the road, if the 15 minute red lights dont get me, the slow drivers do. These people may not have anything better to do than to waste gas and drive around at low speeds all day, but I have places to go and people (usually women) to see and I'd like to get there in a reasonable amount of time

If you want to go 40-45 in a 55 zone, fine but do it in the right lane, not the left or the middle. I'll be in the left cruising at 60 until I jump on I-4 and then set my cruise at 70

Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronclimer View Post

You sound like the government has done a very good job with conditioning you to the party line, it has nothing to do with what is considered "safe" no one in those departments have a clue anyways they just espouse the party line..

Race car drivers display skills at much higher speeds on a regular basis and still "safe" and it's not just the equipment installed either like anything else it's the conditioning to those speeds..

Anyway are you telling me the Florida speed limit has been reduced to 55 again??? Arrrrgh I hope not!! I can't drive 55!!!! It's far more dangerous to be on the road longer increasing your chance for an accident due to the odds, it also uses more gasoline running longer to get to the same destiny and it's much easier to lose focus and make mistakes or even fall asleep bored.. These are the REAL facts behind slower speed limits but they won't tell you about those so I have to..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando