Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,702 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Long time reader, 1st time poster...

Back in May 2012 I got a ticket for "running a stop sign" and not having the car I was driving registered. I was in Casselberry, Fl City limits driving my friends car since mine was in the shop. Now the thing is, I fully remember stopping at the stop sign. I've never gotten a ticket for this, I ALWAYS fully stop, looking left, right, straight for roughly 3-5seconds. The ticket was for $170 more than the $107 ticket for non registered car. My question is I have an upcoming court date that I requested in Seminole County. I want to know for somebody who has gone to traffic court (there or any place else) if I can try and fight the stop sign ticket, and agree to the unregistered car ticket. My friend is willing to pay that ticket so I have no problem with that one. It's just the $170 stop sign ticket. Not to make excuses but I live alone, full time college student and after rent, insurance, bills..etc I have roughly $50-$75 a month left over.

Do you know if I'm allowed to ask the judge for other options like: Payment plan, or maybe 60-90 days more to save up money to pay the tickets?!

Thanks for everybody's opinion. Just looking for people with experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM

82 posts, read 154,611 times
My sister went through the exact same thing - ticketed for supposedly not coming to a complete stop before turning, which she decided to contest/fight with a court date because it was at a busy intersection (434 and 17-92 in Longwood) and she actually did stop (had to, because of the traffic situation), so she felt the officer was wrong.

You probably can't get out of the non-registered car ticket, but with the court date if the officer doesn't show up, then they will more than likely dismiss the case for the not stopping. And apparently the officers rarely show up for the court cases, that's what happened with my sister - she was there, but he wasn't, and it was dismissed. You can also request to have the court date moved to a later date in order to save up, if you decide to just pay the ticket. I believe the courts will usually make out payment plans if you have to pay, especially if you can prove you are financially limited, so it couldn't hurt to ask. Also, I would have the friend pay the registration ticket ahead of time if you can (at the clerk of courts) so you can just focus on the traffic ticket. Make sure to get a copy of the payment for that as well.

Good luck with this...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 11,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris14 View Post
My sister went through the exact same thing - ticketed for supposedly not coming to a complete stop before turning, which she decided to contest/fight with a court date because it was at a busy intersection (434 and 17-92 in Longwood) and she actually did stop (had to, because of the traffic situation), so she felt the officer was wrong.

You probably can't get out of the non-registered car ticket, but with the court date if the officer doesn't show up, then they will more than likely dismiss the case for the not stopping. And apparently the officers rarely show up for the court cases, that's what happened with my sister - she was there, but he wasn't, and it was dismissed. You can also request to have the court date moved to a later date in order to save up, if you decide to just pay the ticket. I believe the courts will usually make out payment plans if you have to pay, especially if you can prove you are financially limited, so it couldn't hurt to ask. Also, I would have the friend pay the registration ticket ahead of time if you can (at the clerk of courts) so you can just focus on the traffic ticket. Make sure to get a copy of the payment for that as well.

Good luck with this...

Thanks for your reply.... I have just 2 questions... What law enforcement agency was your sister stopped by(longwood, casselberry, sem county?) and did she have her court hearing at the Seminole County court house in Sanford. Do you know if its good when I go up to admit about the registration ticket and agree to pay that 1 but just contest the stop sign. What was your sister going to say if the cop did show up. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 AM

291 posts, read 505,762 times
Omg the cops in Orlando are crazy and nit picky! My freshman year, I got a ticket for not 'coming to a full stop' at a red light before turning right, when I know I did. There were cars in front of me that didn't come to a full stop and yet I had to take bullet. The ticket said it was $100 something but when I went to the courthouse, they said it was $200 something! I think the cops are just out there to get us so they can fill their quotas.. It sucks! Worst thing was, they made me feel like SUCH a criminal.. I went out to buy some milk and they checked my car to see if I had alcohol.. Like wtf? Their attitude was just disgusting. Never gotten another ticket since then. Sorry I know I'm not answering your question, I just find the cops around here so ridiculous. Instead of catching REAL criminals around here, they're wasting time harassing college kids.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Considering that over the past couple of years college kids in this area have been arrested and convicted of a variety of serious criminal charges including rape, assault, and murder, there's no reason that they should get a free pass.

I'm guessing that they looked for alcohol because something in your demeanor made them suspicious.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
Most courts generally will allow you to set up a payment plan. Tell the judge how much you can pay per month and he/she will generally allow you to do that.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM

291 posts, read 505,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering that over the past couple of years college kids in this area have been arrested and convicted of a variety of serious criminal charges including rape, assault, and murder, there's no reason that they should get a free pass.

I'm guessing that they looked for alcohol because something in your demeanor made them suspicious.
I'm not talking about the kids that commit THOSE crimes.. I"m talking about the ones that are just going about their day doing what they are supposed to do. And I don't drink, do drugs, nor did I dress like I was hitting the clubs... I was just going to Walmart for some milk for Pete's sake.. I honestly felt SO bad, like I committed some major crime, the way they treated me. Hope I never have to deal with that again.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I'm not talking about the kids that commit THOSE crimes.. I"m talking about the ones that are just going about their day doing what they are supposed to do. And I don't drink, do drugs, nor did I dress like I was hitting the clubs... I was just going to Walmart for some milk for Pete's sake.. I honestly felt SO bad, like I committed some major crime, the way they treated me. Hope I never have to deal with that again.
And they can tell from a random traffic stop how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando