Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM

54 posts, read 90,554 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum to get info on cable and internet providers and after reading, research and calling around I am out of options. Here is the deal: I really want ATT uverse but its not avaialable in my area my and I can't get ATT DSL because the capacity is capped. The prices for brighthouse are aweful, they are raping people. Besides most people who have it hate it because the service is terrible but choose it because there is no contractual obligations. Can't get direct TV because they outsource internet to att or some other company.
About to pull my hair out. As we all know the internet is a necessary evil.

Any suggetions would be great! I don't have a smartphone and my trusty dumb phone only gets me so far on the internet by the way. HELP!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM

511 posts, read 855,265 times
I'm interested in the answers myself, sounds exactly like my situation..

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM

745 posts, read 1,584,067 times
Clearwire

$45 a month. No hidden fees or taxes. I live in Daytona Beach and I get 5 out of 5 bars all day everyday. Not sure about Orlando, but look them up. It's absolutely worth it.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brova View Post
I searched the forum to get info on cable and internet providers and after reading, research and calling around I am out of options. Here is the deal: I really want ATT uverse but its not avaialable in my area my and I can't get ATT DSL because the capacity is capped. The prices for brighthouse are aweful, they are raping people. Besides most people who have it hate it because the service is terrible but choose it because there is no contractual obligations. Can't get direct TV because they outsource internet to att or some other company.

Any suggetions would be great! I don't have a smartphone and my trusty dumb phone only gets me so far on the internet by the way. HELP!!!!!!!!!
We are stuck in the US. The data is pretty sad..... the US is full of companies that essentially are monopolies or duopolies for internet/cable service. It leads to high prices and crappy service. They have a much better situation in places like Europe and S Korea.

America: Land of the Slow - NYTimes.com

This sums things up well: Here’s The Most Honest Cable Commercial You Will Ever See

Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM

8 posts, read 17,814 times
What about a Verizon MiFi hotspot? I used one once and it was pretty fast.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakalolo2 View Post
What about a Verizon MiFi hotspot? I used one once and it was pretty fast.
I have ATT and they have something similar. This would be a great idea. The only issue is I get crappy service in my apt. I only get max 2 bars.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,898,677 times
Where I live bright house is the only option, Because at&t only lets you get 3 Mbps internet, But on Bright house I get 60 Mbps. That is just pathetic 3 Mbps? My dream would be If I could get Century-link, But they don't operate out here.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM

157 posts, read 477,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brova View Post

I have bright house for my cable & high speed (roadrunner) internet. Its costing me $170/mth I still don't have all the premium channels. I had an salesperson from At&t U verse sell me a package for $154/mth the other day & that included 4 control boxes boxes,internet, & VOIP phone service plus $150 rebate. I was thrilled! After getting the official & totally confusing contract in the mail (first red flag) the price went up. I called about the price difference & they apologized & gave me one more remote box plus a cost of $105/mth exclusive of taxes & that still included the $150 rebate. Now I'm thinking sweet deal .The installer came out and immediately started having problems (2nd red flag). The first was that the service wires in the street were not working for some unexplained reason & they wouldn't be able to install the system until they figure it out. The other problem (3rd & final red flag) was that I was told that ALL the wiring into & through my home had to be replaced for the U verse to work. My house has a white exterior & they were going to hang black cable. They would have go through the exterior walls (Drilling through concrete block) to the rooms that I wanted service (3 rooms). I told them I didn't want wires hanging from the house, especially black as that is all they use & have. The wire would be visible from the outside. No wire channel covers would be used. I probably would end up with a complaint from the HOA if I did this. The sales guy had told me it would be an "easy install" ," they would just unscrew the cable from the outside box & pop in the new one". The installer said it was a big job. I backed out & cancelled the whole deal. I'm stuck with bright-house for now. I will be looking for another company.
BTW I have had AT&T for my telephone & cell service for years before & ended up having major problems with them in the past 2 years. I dropped all of my phone service with them for good. I'm done with AT&T.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert999 View Post
I have bright house for my cable & high speed (roadrunner) internet. Its costing me $170/mth I still don't have all the premium channels. I had an salesperson from At&t U verse sell me a package for $154/mth the other day & that included 4 control boxes boxes,internet, & VOIP phone service plus $150 rebate. I was thrilled! After getting the official & totally confusing contract in the mail (first red flag) the price went up. I called about the price difference & they apologized & gave me one more remote box plus a cost of $105/mth exclusive of taxes & that still included the $150 rebate. Now I'm thinking sweet deal .The installer came out and immediately started having problems (2nd red flag). The first was that the service wires in the street were not working for some unexplained reason & they wouldn't be able to install the system until they figure it out. The other problem (3rd & final red flag) was that I was told that ALL the wiring into & through my home had to be replaced for the U verse to work. My house has a white exterior & they were going to hang black cable. They would have go through the exterior walls (Drilling through concrete block) to the rooms that I wanted service (3 rooms). I told them I didn't want wires hanging from the house, especially black as that is all they use & have. The wire would be visible from the outside. No wire channel covers would be used. I probably would end up with a complaint from the HOA if I did this. The sales guy had told me it would be an "easy install" ," they would just unscrew the cable from the outside box & pop in the new one". The installer said it was a big job. I backed out & cancelled the whole deal. I'm stuck with bright-house for now. I will be looking for another company.
BTW I have had AT&T for my telephone & cell service for years before & ended up having major problems with them in the past 2 years. I dropped all of my phone service with them for good. I'm done with AT&T.
Sorry to hear you issues with Uverse. I hear its a really good service to have compared to all others. Its not available where i live or i would have taken that risk. I really dont want to get BH because its sooo expensive. There has got to be another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando