Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:23 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times

Advertisements

Of coarse the people who are living out in 300k homes in towns like Windemere or Lake Nona will say they see this as the best place ever.......in the whole U.S.A.....LOL.......That can be said for rich people in every city in the country....they will all say their cities are the best ever.......If you dont work in the service industry or some other low level job then you really have no say in how bad/good it is for the average local living in a cheap apartment complex......I have learned to enjoy my life being poor for most of it even without the extra money and my faith in God helps me to see hard times as a blessing in some ways , but it's kinda frustrating knowing that you can be 30-40 years old living in Orlando and have to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet and then not ever having money to put aside for any kinda future for your kids.......there are so many people in Orlando that could do better if they lived somewhere else, but for us that dont have a degree (and even then) or some kind of 2 year experience in a good paying type job....well we are the majority in Orlando and our voices dont get heard......money talks, so why dont all the rich people complain about crime in thier neighborhood?...well because they really dont see it......there are as many bad areas in Orlando as there are good....its hard to say that for all the other cities in the U.S.......I can only name a handfull with the same amount of bad areas vs. good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM

61 posts, read 263,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
How will more clueless people make Orlando a better place? Will a few more clueless folks from Joysey help make it any better? I just don't see how.

Central Florida has big problems caused by a lack of political leadership and vision for the area beyond what is good for big business. The government here genuinely doesn't care about people as people, but only as wage slaves for the corporations and their interests. Progress is defined as "growth", not quality of life. Living in the CF area is fundamentally dehumanizing.

I would leave this craphole but I have no money to leave. I'm stuck here.
What aside from people make any city great? What Orlando needs are highly skilled people to build a great city. That's all any city needs to be great. Of course a bunch of desperate out-of-luck types pouring in won't help anything, but there is no doubt that things like the new medical school will improve the area.

ores

Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Highly skilled people aren't necessarily very civic minded. They are not necessarily better people. There is more to being a good person than how much money you make.

A city needs something to hold it together, some kind of traditions like religion or generalized ethos. I don't see people in Orlando sharing that. A medical school will not change that. It will just bring in alot of self-absorbed upper-middle-class looking for cheaper housing/cost-of-living and legions of serfs to service them.

Read some James Howard Kunstler. He talks alot about the spiritual malaise in America, the fact that more and more, we have places that are not worth caring about. Orlando is one such place. Sure, we have the amusement parks but that attitude is not reflected in the metro area. Imagine if the government treated all the citizens of the metro area as "guests" like the theme parks did, instead of wage slaves and serfs to be exploited. I think that would be a far better attitude.

Unfortunately, Orlando's politics are dominated by the "haves" and not the "have nots". Simply put, the elites and well-to-do in Orlando have no conscience and very little humanity. They are new-monied types for the most part, bereft of any feeling of social responsibility that sometimes accompanies "old money" class consciousness. This kind of feeling doesn't create alot of social solidarity and it trickles down, pretty soon everybody is thinking like that.

Look at somebody like Al Gore, for instance. Or Bill Gates. They have alot of money but they aren't self-absorbed. They want to leave the world a better place and not just make a name for themselves, famous for being famous. On a micro-scale, you could have upper-middle class and wealthy individuals as many other cities do, that are actively involved in their communities and actually care. Orlando has less of this. Just elites walled up in their gated fortresses, er., "gated communities".

Sure, there are some exceptions, like John Morgan, who has contributed to a number of local charities and does a yearly public benefit ad around Christmas. But on the whole there is not a movement of individuals to mantain the civic life of the Orlando area. It just doesn't exist. People here are indifferent to each other, and that's deeply wrong.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Highly skilled people aren't necessarily very civic minded. They are not necessarily better people. There is more to being a good person than how much money you make.

A city needs something to hold it together, some kind of traditions like religion or generalized ethos. I don't see people in Orlando sharing that. A medical school will not change that. It will just bring in alot of self-absorbed upper-middle-class looking for cheaper housing/cost-of-living and legions of serfs to service them.

Read some James Howard Kunstler. He talks alot about the spiritual malaise in America, the fact that more and more, we have places that are not worth caring about. Orlando is one such place. Sure, we have the amusement parks but that attitude is not reflected in the metro area. Imagine if the government treated all the citizens of the metro area as "guests" like the theme parks did, instead of wage slaves and serfs to be exploited. I think that would be a far better attitude.

Unfortunately, Orlando's politics are dominated by the "haves" and not the "have nots". Simply put, the elites and well-to-do in Orlando have no conscience and very little humanity. They are new-monied types for the most part, bereft of any feeling of social responsibility that sometimes accompanies "old money" class consciousness. This kind of feeling doesn't create alot of social solidarity and it trickles down, pretty soon everybody is thinking like that.

Look at somebody like Al Gore, for instance. Or Bill Gates. They have alot of money but they aren't self-absorbed. They want to leave the world a better place and not just make a name for themselves, famous for being famous. On a micro-scale, you could have upper-middle class and wealthy individuals as many other cities do, that are actively involved in their communities and actually care. Orlando has less of this. Just elites walled up in their gated fortresses, er., "gated communities".

Sure, there are some exceptions, like John Morgan, who has contributed to a number of local charities and does a yearly public benefit ad around Christmas. But on the whole there is not a movement of individuals to mantain the civic life of the Orlando area. It just doesn't exist. People here are indifferent to each other, and that's deeply wrong.

You are right about Al Gore ....i saw that documentary he did on global warming..that was very informative and you can tell he actually cares about the next man wherever he lives...and he is from a state that i have promoted as having a kinder atmosphere than Orlando and some other Florida cities ......You are also right about how attitudes of people in Orlando are .....people usually aren't planted here and don't have an investment in the community.....so they do things that make this an ugly place as far as having no respect for the city and the people around them goes......Im not the smartest guy but it's a transient attitude in Orlando where people are more likely to step on the next man to better themselves because the most likely wont be staying here for long so they wont have to run into the people or places they destroy while bettering thier own lives here.....this place is like a stepping stone for the rich and a hole for the poor and the poor get stuck here and have a harder time progressing with the only carreers for them being service type carreers.....

of coarse you should have goals to overcome your struggles but sometimes things aren't black and white for some people and some/alot of local Orlando people have too many obsticles to overcome and by the time they overcome them they are 40 years old and still living at mom's house and then they are told they are too old to work in some places or dont have enough experience for thier age because of all the years trying to overcome those obstacles from being stuck in a majority service industry type of town where more and more people keep moving in and less and less opportunities are there for us.......Some people really cant see or think they had the same kind of life as most of the people you see operating rides at Universal or serving you at Steak-n-Shake but in reality they dont live like that in these times when saying we are failures........

I love Florida and living in Orlando and have never had a problem finding things to smile about here or laugh about in my life.....but when i am 30 yrs old and still struggling living at home due to life's circumstances and then moving to Orlando 7 years ago where it is hard to overcome those previous circumstances then i wonder just like my co-workers wonder.....when will i ever have extra money left over after a paycheck to get something going for the future or to give my kid a better life?......You can say we as service workers in Orlando and people stuck living at home are all failures but that is something that only we truly know we are in life......some people are blessed in life at certain times with open doors or a little help from parents or someone along the way....then there are others that try and try but nothing works .....God places us in these situations to build us .....that is what i believe.....

money doesnt mean youve made it in life.....there are more frustrations living without money than there is with money but its how you live without money that builds your character.....i am a pretty positive guy regardless of money but i do point out things that some people are lucky enough not to have seen in our community but they are there affecting me and alot of other people regardless of whether someone on here says they dont see it....its happening to someone....so dont shoot them down for saying they went through this or that in Orlando

Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 AM

207 posts, read 926,354 times
My Grandma use to tell me "God help those who help themselves". If you are unhappy with your life and/or job situation no one is going to change that for you, but YOU. So what are you doing to put yourself in a better situation? There is at least one solution to every problem, but you just have to be persistent in finding it/them. In my humble opinion it's better to spend your energy searching for solutions than stuck talking about problems.

Last edited by krock67; 10-14-2007 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
My Grandma use to tell me "God help those who help themselves". If you are unhappy with your life and/or job situation no one is going to change that for you, but YOU. So what are you doing to put yourself in a better situation? There is at least one solution to every problem, but you just have to be persistent in finding it/them. In my humble opinion it's better to spend your energy searching for solutions than stuck talking about problems.

People misunderstand me.....i am not talking about issues for the sake of talking about them ......i respond to someone on a post on here and say that there is actually crime in areas or state an experience ive had in Orlando and then everyone gets hating on me for saying that there could actually be problems in places of Orlando that arent the ghetto and then they say things that make me have to prove "why" i think this way.......i am fine in my own life....i dont need help to have a better life...i laugh and have fun the way it is now......im just tired of people not accepting 2 sides to a story on these forums....some people really do seem oblivious from where i sit....ive been poor before and have been a victim of crime and seen things lately near my work and at my work that makes me see that there is alot more going on in town than most people can see....especially on these forums....

usually people on computers have a certain amount of money to afford them so they arent living in bad conditions or paycheck to paycheck....so they sit here and type that there isnt as much crime and stuff as other people say and that these things happen everywhere kinda like a sunrise happens everywhere.....its nonchelaunt in the way they say it.......i sit here not on my own computer because i could not afford one but on my mother's computer in her townhouse......i do the best i can with rent and my bills/food......but im barley making it but i live in a nice place but have to move soon again because of other family issues....and ill be on my own after my mother moves and then ill be back to living in a 500 a month apartment again and ill barely be able to afford that....you tell me what someone that has no bank account and has no money to save in a bank account can do out here to better the situation?......please dont say stuff like...."we all went through that at one point or something".....because the steps in my life and some other peoples lives arent the same ......we've all had different struggles and some of the same struggles.....

i would have to give my life story before we can go into what i am able to do at this point to move on......forget the past isnt something that can always be done when physical and financial parts of someones past has an affect still today in thier lives......its hard not to "sound" negative and i am really not that negative guy, but just explaining things i guess looks negative to people on the outside for whatever reason...People can say that its my fault or other people's fault for thier lives but really is it in every situation?...we are blessed to live in America......is it all poor people's faults for being how they are?.....is it everyones fault for getting cancer or some other disease?....is it a person's fault for getting raped and being afraid to work in a room full of guys because of that inccedent so they are stuck in another job that pays less?......there is alot of questions like this......i would say that alot of "americans" didnt up and become succesfull just on thier own determination or thier own strength.....

alot of the poor ones are people that didnt have that extra little help or advice in life....and alot are also people that might not have ever had any doors open to opportunities for whatever reason.....so before people pass judgement and say that someone else could have done this or that in life to be better please live in that person's world......i have done the best i can....honestly.....and without having alot ive always kept a pretty positive attitude....like when me and my brother had to go beg for quarters to get money for food .....we were starving and we still kept our sense of humor at that time ...we did all we could back then to solve that problem.....some people actually need a little more help to get to where the average american is at financially....we did not all come from the same backgrounds

Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Is life fair? Absolutely not!!! We all start out in different places and have different hurdles to overcome, but you have to be persistent, positive, and never give up. Don't say "I've done all I can do", because there is always more that can be done. Faith can move mountains, and it begins by moving just one stone.

Last edited by krock67; 10-14-2007 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Quote:
Quote:
Is life fair? Absolutely not!!! We all start out in different places and have different hurdles to overcome, but you have to be persistent, positive, and never give up. Don't say "I've done all I can do", because there is always more that can be done. Faith can move mountains, and it begins by moving just one stone.
Krock, If only everyone in this world had the same attitude as you and I.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM

61 posts, read 263,587 times
Quote:

You're talking about vague lofty notions like "civic-mindedness." The truth is educated people change everything. They attract better services, better restaurants, culture, diverse night life. Educated people want things that are unique and they can usually afford them. They don't eat at a bunch of chain restaurants and shop at chain stores. So diverse options start appearing when they come into a city. Ever noticed there are almost no non-chain bookstores in the whole city of Orlando? The most desirable locations in the country- Manhattan, San Francisco, Boston- are dominated by guess what? Educated people. The more educated people pour into a city, the better. There is no doubt that the medical school will improve life here because it means more educated people are coming.

It is indeed a problem that Orlando has such a vast amount of unskilled workers. So what we need are more educated people to balance it out. And we are getting them, which is good news for everyone. It means more jobs for all income levels.

I agree with your point about the gated communities. They are shameful and embarrassing. What in the world is appealing about building a fence around your insular little community as some weak way to feel superior is beyond me.

ores

Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 PM

I got it from my Grandma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
Krock, If only everyone in this world had the same attitude as you and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando