Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM

34 posts, read 111,531 times

Advertisements

Please help! I am relocating to Florida this summer and have narrowed it down to the Southern area of Lake Nona or the Northern part of St. Cloud - both are close to the Lake Nona medical center and soon to have shopping - but the major difference is SCHOOL DISTRICTS!

Saint Cloud is Osceola and Lake Nona is Orange - which one is better? Does it matter? Are they both good?

I have 4 kids from elementary school to middle school (soon to be high school) so it's also Lake Nona High School vs Harmony...because I think the subdivisions I have narrowed down to are those but how is St. Cloud High school too?

I have considered other areas like Hunters Creek and Dr. Phillips but have decided that Dr. Phillips is probably out of our price range and Hunters Creek can be spotty on rentals - either way too high or just yucky and outdated...(my opinion)

My main priority is safety and schools for my kids. So please can I have school advice on Lake Nona and Saint Cloud and parents & students experiences.

Thanks!
Soon to be a Floridian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 AM

6 posts, read 16,273 times
Smile Lake Nona

Where are you moving from? Be prepared if you are not familiar with FL. I moved here from WNY 3 yrs ago and I am ready to go back, just because I miss everything I grew up with.

Anyways, I live in St. Cloud, Narcoossee actually. I worked at the hospital in St Cloud and now at the childrens hospital in Lake Nona, and I will say hands down Lake Nona. Narcoossee elementary/middle school is a good school, but if your children are high school age I don't recommend St. Cloud. Many of the MDs I work with are from out of the area who have moved here and all refused to move to Osceola county because of the school ratings. Lake Nona is starting to develop, and in 2-3 yrs the area will be much different than it is now. When I moved here just 3 yrs ago, Narcoossee Rd was a 2 lane road with no streetlights that went south to 192, with cow pastures on both sides, that was it! Now its a new 6 lane divided road and there are two new schools, a new Publix, 2 new hospitals, a medical school, Laureate Park, and a town shopping center being developed by Centerline next to Eagle Creek. Lots of good things are coming!!

St. Cloud is an okay town, but it is past its prime and it shows. Lots of St. Cloud pride though in the people born and raised here, and friendly folks too!! I just think Lake Nona is a better choice overall.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM

I am moving from suburban Illinois about an hour+ west from Chicago... where we have lived for all of my life except from 2010 - 2012 when we moved to Castle Rock, Colorado - which was a GREAT small family town! - for a job for my husband (which ultimately brought us back to IL - and this company is located in FL too) so small towns are what I am used to and I am not a city person...don't mind visiting but I like smaller! But I do like to be within 15 - 20 minutes from shopping!

And I am looking for a great group for scouting - all my sons have been in boy scouts and in CO it was amazing but here in IL it sucks...they don't do ANYTHING!...so like I said school and family things are #1 for me...

oh - and another question - Is there a gymnastics place in or near Lake Nona or Saint Cloud? My daughter LOVES gymnastics so I would like to put her in something down there! I've yet to google it...I plan to go down in the summer and check stuff out but I'm trying to do my homework - so-to-speak- before we get down there!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
I would say Nona as well. The high school isn't rated high but it is very new too.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
I'd have to go with Harmony. The whole concept is great and the schools are well rated.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM

do you live in Harmony? I've been there a few times but it is pretty far away from...uh life! lol
My husbands job would be right north of Hunters Creek off OBT & Vineland Taft but it's SO busy there I was thinking the Lake Nona area would be nice. But I do want some things near by - just not the tourists!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM

I have been reconsidering the Harmony area but I am still looking into Lake Nona & Northern St CLoud ...I guess it is all going to depend when we get there what is available. But I have driven around all those areas over the summer when I was there (my parents live there so I they also drive around for me a lot!)

I was hoping to get some more info on the schools - especially Lake Nona elementary schools (both of them) and the middle & high school in Lake Nona.

Also the Narcoosee elementary, Middle, and Harmony High school are what I would like to know about.

Basically we are looking to live off Narcoosee from either Lake Pointe subdivision to around the Eagle Creek area and when you look on a map it's about a 2 mile distance from each other but one's Osceola County and one's Orange County...Please help! Running out of time and we will be there over the summer so schools will be closed!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I would go with Lake Nona. As more and more affluent neighborhoods go in, the schools will continue to do better. That's what happened in Lake County--as Clermont and Minneola expanded and became more affluent, the schools got better and better--there are now two "A" rated high schools serving those towns, and most of the elementary and middle schools are also "A" rated--at least the ones that serve the more affluent subdivisions.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

217 posts, read 325,927 times
Lake Nona is continuing to expand at a rapid pace...in a great way. I'd say stick in Orange County.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM

457 posts, read 627,123 times
Both places continue to build all the time. I live in St. Cloud and know that in ten years, it will be too crowded for my tastes.

For schools, check the records. How many grads going Ivy League, that sort of thing. My guess is that Lake Nona would have the better record, so for schools, I'd pick there. But I haven't researched it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando