Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,936 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I currently live in Jacksonville, Florida, and have lived in Gainesville, St. Augustine, Tallahassee, Fresno, CA, and....Orlando.

I will be relocating soon. My new job will allow me to choose between Tampa and Orlando.

When I lived in the Orlando area before, I lived in Casselberry, and I wasn't too impressed with the area. However, I don't know much about other areas of Orlando.

I'm 37, single, no kids, never married, and very well educated (Ph.D.). Which city offers more for a single guy - Orlando or Tampa?

Information about specific areas of Tampa and/or Orlando would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Given your education level and age I would recommend Tampa. Orlando's population tends younger and is not a well-educated city overall, and as a result reflective of social options here. St. Petersburg in particular could be a good fit for you in my opinion.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisismovingsoon View Post
Hi all. I currently live in Jacksonville, Florida, and have lived in Gainesville, St. Augustine, Tallahassee, Fresno, CA, and....Orlando.

I will be relocating soon. My new job will allow me to choose between Tampa and Orlando.

When I lived in the Orlando area before, I lived in Casselberry, and I wasn't too impressed with the area. However, I don't know much about other areas of Orlando.

I'm 37, single, no kids, never married, and very well educated (Ph.D.). Which city offers more for a single guy - Orlando or Tampa?

Information about specific areas of Tampa and/or Orlando would be appreciated. Thank you!
What's were you expecting out of Casselberry? It's your standard suburb with a few good restaurants, some retail, a couple good dive bars, and a strip club or two to enjoy if that's your thing.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,265 times
Tampa without a doubt...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM

39 posts, read 136,564 times
According to someone's research (I don't know who's, but it made it on the today show this morning). Tampa is the #1 city in the country for singles over 35. I personally love orlando, but I am significantly younger and therefore enjoy the 20's oriented nightlife of clubs and bars. But for a slightly more mature nightlife and entertainment scene I would definitely say tampa is your best bet. Tampa has some of the younger crowd of Orlando, but much more of what you would probably be looking for. Hope this helped.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
At 37, I would have to say Tampa right now. If you were in your 20s...Orlando no question. Orlando's downtown is starting to appeal more to the 30s and 40s crowd with the openings of a few wine/art galleries in Thornton Park area and certain bars in the CBD, but it is definitely a more rowdy party scene in the core. There are places to go, but it needs to diversify more to be a complete downtown. Once the Performing Arts center area is finished, I expect a lot more offerings for people looking for a more sophisticated vibe.

Last edited by Pete C; 02-01-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
At 37, I would have to say Tampa right now. If you were in your 20s...Orlando no question. Orlando's downtown is starting to appeal more to the 30s and 40s crowd with the openings of a few wine/art galleries in Thornton Park area and certain bars in the CBD, but it is definitely a more rowdy party scene in the core. There are places to go, but it needs to diversify more to be a complete downtown. Once the Performing Arts center area is finished, I expect a lot more offerings for people looking for a more sophisticated vibe.
While I agree with Tampa, I'm not sure I see where it exceeds Orlando if we're talking CBD (immediate area included) and sophisticated vibe? I mean Channelside is nice, but it kind of felt touristy and full of chains which is absolutely fine but...I'm just not feeling it. Ybor is the antithesis of sophisticated which again is fine but...I'm just not feeling it. Now if you mean Tampa as if places like south Tampa, and/or St. Pete (other parts of the metro I'm forgetting) then yes I'd concede that.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
While I agree with Tampa, I'm not sure I see where it exceeds Orlando if we're talking CBD (immediate area included) and sophisticated vibe? I mean Channelside is nice, but it kind of felt touristy and full of chains which is absolutely fine but...I'm just not feeling it. Ybor is the antithesis of sophisticated which again is fine but...I'm just not feeling it. Now if you mean Tampa as if places like south Tampa, and/or St. Pete (other parts of the metro I'm forgetting) then yes I'd concede that.
Actually, I was not meaning to say that Tampa had upscale venues downtown. I kinda went off on a tangent about downtown Orlando and how it could attract more professionals downtown in the future. Overall Tampa's scene is just a bit older and that is the only reason I recommended it. Personally, I think Orlando's nightlife options are better across the board.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Actually, I was not meaning to say that Tampa had upscale venues downtown. I kinda went off on a tangent about downtown Orlando and how it could attract more professionals downtown in the future. Overall Tampa's scene is just a bit older and that is the only reason I recommended it. Personally, I think Orlando's nightlife options are better across the board.
Oh gotcha, I see where I made that link now. Actually, I'm very excited about how the new PAC will literally spark some life into a very civic orientated area that currently only has city hall and the Grand Bohemian. Perhaps this area will strike a balance between artsy sophistication and classy bohemian. Also I hope the action heads east along South, Jackson, and even Church, so as to tie into the slightly more formal dining and social scene that is South Eola. Imagine filling in some of those gaps with more residential development that included good street level retail/restaurant space thus giving birth to multiple Central Blvd's paralleling each other.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 22,019 times
I would recommend Orlando hands down!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando