Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM

626 posts, read 975,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
I think you misunderstood my post. I mentioned population density. According to the last census, Winter Park has near three times the population density as Winter Garden. Really, one doesn't even need a census to determine that. It's fairly obvious just driving through the area.

I think that Target manager was making excuses for poor inventory practices. There's no way the Target in Winter Garden is the busiest in Florida.
No Windermere/Winter Garden have a bigger population that winter Park. Do you not know these two are merged together? (not town of Windermere) Why you mention only WG baffles me. You must not have been in this area in the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM

626 posts, read 975,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Part of that is because Horizon West is a planned development instead of unplanned urban sprawl. There was a really neat interview with Scott Boyd about zoning practices to explain why the 535 corridor wasn't becoming the next 192, and there are very firm limits about commercial development. (Which is a GOOD thing!) When the Town Center of Horizon West opens up, it will be neat to see what sort of shopping goes in for the commercial area. In the meantime, there are three Michaels within 25 minutes or less of my place in Windermere, and I'm not a fan of Cheap Imported Junk Lobby. If I really need some arts and crafts stuff, Joann does fine for me in a pinch. So yeah, I maybe go to Kohls once a season down at the Loop, but again, that's just a 25 minute drive. Would I like one to be 15 minutes from here like everything else? Sure… and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't show up in the Hamlin area.

As far as Trader Joe's goes, I guess I don't understand the fascination….we had one near my house in Maryland, and I would go there once or twice a year just to see what sort of bizarre health foods they had in stock. If they built one within walking distance, I'm not sure I'd go to it, truth told. It just didn't have anything of interest for me that I can't get better and cheaper elsewhere.

Well to each his own. I stand by what I would like. the loop is a good 35 minute drive, at the least, through tremendous traffic. So you don't shop. No reason to criticize.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
and there's a reason why that TJ's was built in Dr. Phillips instead of Winter Garden. Population density/eduation/income. Winter Garden is nothing like the Dr. Phillips area at all. It's still very rural and sparsely populated and fifteen miles away from the new TJ's at Dr. Phillips.
When was the last time you were there?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Well to each his own. I stand by what I would like. the loop is a good 35 minute drive, at the least, through tremendous traffic. So you don't shop. No reason to criticize.
Oh, I keep the retail sector moving along, even as a Minimalist/Selectivist. A lot of times I'll do online shopping for its convenience, though. It is easier to support small businesses that way as well, too.

But I am curious...Where are you going from where it takes that long to get there from the WinderNear area, and when are you going that you run into bad traffic? We either cut through property or take 535 all the way to Osceola Parkway and right on over…next to no traffic that way. (Plus, if you haven't gone over the Shingle Creek bridge, it is hilarious…world's most bumpy bridge. I'm convinced one day it will just collapse into the swamp, but in the meantime, it is hilariously fun.)

Old 01-04-2015, 05:54 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
and there's a reason why that TJ's was built in Dr. Phillips instead of Winter Garden. Population density/eduation/income. Winter Garden is nothing like the Dr. Phillips area at all. It's still very rural and sparsely populated and fifteen miles away from the new TJ's at Dr. Phillips.
But closer to Windermere, their likely target demographic along with dp

Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
A rumor was circulating that Kroger would enter Florida by purchasing Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie. They are on track to become the largest seller of organic/naturals in the country in the next two years. If they were to outfit their store conversions with a full line of natural/organics (especially in fresh meat and produce) as opposed to doing it based on the neighborhood, then these products will be commonplace around town.

http://jacksonville.com/business/201...-lots-talk-few

However, a few days later, there are already articles saying that the rumor is unlikely to be true since BL/WD just named a new CEO.

Rumored Kroger deal off? Winn-Dixie to unveil fancier C. Fla. store - Orlando Business Journal

Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
It's good to hear the Bi-Lo is moving forward with their Winn-Dixie prototypes which if you've been in one can see it's competition for Publix, outside of their two employees per customer rule perhaps. Remodels had seemingly stalled after their recent acquisition of the SweetBay chain (formerly Kash n' Karry) in the Tampa Bay area, but I guess that might have been due to the fact that they were in transition with CEOs and assimilating the SweetBay stores.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 AM

In terms of an update to the Whole Foods construction in Altamonte Springs, I see they're nearly finished tearing down half of the west end section of the Renaissance Center (former Baer's Furniture store and Fleet Feet) to build out what might include a parking deck given the scale of land involved. It would appear they're on track for a January opening.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 AM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of an update to the Whole Foods construction in Altamonte Springs, It would appear they're on track for a January opening.
Good News, wonder why the delay?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Good News, wonder why the delay?
I dunno, the new Winter Park location seems to be dragging feet too. Is that even it taking shape on the NE corner of Lee Rd and 17-92, or is that something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando