Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,214 times

Advertisements

I am a female in my mid-20s that enjoys a very active and healthy lifestyle. I will be relocating from Los Angeles to Orlando for work purposes and am looking for areas that are safe, in a fairly young community (25-40), active, and close to shops and restaurants.

I would like to know about places that are away from major traffic arteries but accessible to groceries, shops, etc. I would like to rent a one bedroom/studio, possibly in a building with amenities (front desk, valet, or security, etc.) for under $1200/month...is that reasonable? Also, areas that are dog friendly as I have a pomeranian/chihuahua 3 year old pup.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM

251 posts, read 437,260 times
The Aspire building downtown has the amenities you need. A studio here is just under $1200.

Photo Gallery

The nightlife of Orange Ave and Church St is just a couple blocks away and Lake Eola is right next to you. That is as centrally located to Orlando as you can get. I've lived downtown and everyone always thought I must have had to deal with a lot of traffic. Not true, since I never had to drive though downtown in its entirety like everybody else. You can hop on or off I-4 with ease. Plus, Orlando's downtown area is very small compared to most cities anyway.

A little to the east of there is the Thornton Park area which is the hip/trendy area of Orlando. Most of the housing around here is made up of old homes converted to apartments but on the main corner is a slick apartment building.

Thornton Park Central

Winter Park is about ten minutes north of downtown and has a mix of older and newer apartments. The Park Ave area has high end shopping and great restaurants. A more established Thornton Park.

If you're up for it, you can also rent a studio or 1BR in The Lofts Of Winter Park Village. Make no mistake, these lofts are above shops and restaurants within a big retail plaza, but they're still very cool. A movie theater, a couple of grocery stores, sushi, pizza, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, a seafood restaurant, and a couple of nice bars are within the same complex. I believe a studio there is $1000/mo.

The Lofts of Winter Park Village Apartments - Winter Park Village, FL - Loft Aprtment Rental Community in the Orlando, Florida Area

Lastly, I would check out the Dr Phillips area which is the southwest part of Orlando. On Sand Lake Rd just west of I-4 are tons of upscale bars and restaurants. The apartments are all very nice in that area but none will be high-rise. This is the area (along with Windermere to the west) where all of the pro athletes live. The Florida Mall and Millenia Mall are very close as well. (The Millenia Mall isn't far from downtown either). Unfortunately, just to the east of I-4 and Sand lake Rd is International Drive. That is where all of the tourists go which isn't unsafe or anything, it's just loaded with traffic. Getting on or off I-4 won't be too difficult but crossing over it on Sand Lake Rd will.

There are many nice but not necessarily upscale areas of Orlando that will be well below your price range. With these places $1200 will get you a great 2BR which might be something to consider. Or just get a 1BR for $800ish and save some money.

Ironically, I've been thinking about moving to West Hollywood. I know the area, I just need to pull the trigger.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,346,116 times
Downtown, Thornton Park, Downtown South, Baldwin Park and College Park would be perfect for you.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Downtown, Thornton Park, Downtown South, Baldwin Park and College Park would be perfect for you.
All the places I wish I could afford to live

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
The Lofts at Sodo might be perfect for you. The area will slightly remind you of a smaller, quieter version of The Highlands with the apartments instead of the hotel.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
All the places I wish I could afford to live
Davie there are affordable options in these neighborhoods, particularly Downtown South, but you have to look around and accept that you will not be in a high rise condo.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Davie there are affordable options in these neighborhoods, particularly Downtown South, but you have to look around and accept that you will not be in a high rise condo.
I dont even make enough money at this point to even afford an apartment if it were in Parramore or Pine Hills! Right now I just take the bad with the good. Ideally though....I would be living in either College or Thornton Park

Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayCookie25 View Post
I am a female in my mid-20s that enjoys a very active and healthy lifestyle. I will be relocating from Los Angeles to Orlando for work purposes and am looking for areas that are safe, in a fairly young community (25-40), active, and close to shops and restaurants.

I would like to know about places that are away from major traffic arteries but accessible to groceries, shops, etc. I would like to rent a one bedroom/studio, possibly in a building with amenities (front desk, valet, or security, etc.) for under $1200/month...is that reasonable? Also, areas that are dog friendly as I have a pomeranian/chihuahua 3 year old pup.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
I spent a few years living in Orlando and still own a house there. You will LOVE what your money gets you. I know Los Angeles isn't quite as expensive as San Francisco, but it is still up there as you know lol. $1,200 is enough to get what you are looking for. Orlando is very spread out and traffic can be a nightmare, so it would help if you could tell us where your work is located.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 PM

While traffic can be bad in Orlando, it is NOTHING compared to the 10, the 101 or the grand daddy if them all the dreaded 405!

After sitting on the 405 between Santa Monica and the San Fernando valley, & the 101 from Sherman Oaks to Downtown LA, I'll never see I-4 as 'bad' again

Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont even make enough money at this point to even afford an apartment if it were in Parramore or Pine Hills! Right now I just take the bad with the good. Ideally though....I would be living in either College or Thornton Park
Can't help you with that but at the same time you're still a young guy and it's all just part of being a young adult. At your age I was a struggling college student who couldn't afford to live in these areas either. I'm sure with hard work your situation will change as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando