Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times

Advertisements

Orlando ranks No. 1 among cities with most crime, survey says - Orlando Business Journal

"According to a study from CreditDonkey, a credit card comparison and financial education website, the City Beautiful topped the list because it ranks near the top in incidents per 100,000 residents in each of the five crime categories examined in the study:

Violent crime
Total crime
ID theft
Fraud
Internet crime

The survey relied most heavily on the first three criteria, based on national rankings."

and

"Orlando is first on the list because it ranks near the top in incidents per 100,000 residents in each of the five crime categories we examined. It has the seventh highest total crime rate in the country and the 10th highest rate of ID theft. Plus, out of all the states, Florida has the eighth highest rate of Internet crime. The lowest Orlando ranked in any of the crime categories is 22nd in violent crimes; however, for a list that considered more than 250 cities, this category still puts Florida solidly in the top 10%."

Not liking this too much as my parents and many friends live in the Orlando area. Detroit is #10 and Orlando is #1!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Wow, this is utterly ridiculous to say the least. What is the most important crime statistic? Violent crime. Ask anyone what they think is the #1 crime consideration and this would be first on their list.

Orlando is ranked #22 in violent crime according to this very study (link below), which means we are nowhere near the top of the list in terms of safety. Detroit is a much more dangerous place clearly as it is ranked #2. You tell me where you think you'd feel safer.

The other stats are a concern, but tourists are prime targets of ID theft and the like and we are the #1 tourist destination in the country.

Study: Cities with Most Crime - CreditDonkey

Last edited by Pete C; 04-03-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM

22 posts, read 36,929 times
A new one of these "studies" comes out every other month, and the results are always different. A simple Google search will bring up plenty of results that don't Orlando within striking distance of #1.

1/30/13 - Not mentioned
Drew Hendricks: The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the United States

1/23/13 - Not mentioned
Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney

11/1/12 - #24
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in America - Yahoo! Finance

I probably wouldn't put too much stock in what "Credit Donkey" has to say about Orlando's crime problems.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Not surprised but, eh.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I've never been a victim of crime in all my years of living here. I know it exists, but if you don't live in those areas and use common sense you most likely won't have a problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM

511 posts, read 854,415 times
Here all this time based on all the negative view points regarding Kissimmee I would have though it'd a been #1 .

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
city-data.com

This will give you all the crime stats.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
'Dangerous' crime is different than 'crime'.

Trulia.com has an overlay on their maps that will show you what crime there is. Put in your area, go to the map at the bottom of the pages, click 'crimes' and voila! A heat-map comes up.

If you run your mouse over the black dots (if any) you'll see that these are reports to the police. A 'crime' could be a domestic disturbance, a verbal disturbance (people shouting), or just 'suspicious incident'. Most of which will not impact anyone but the persons involved...or whatever dog knocked over a trash-can in the alley.

Even murder is usually fairly private (random shootings aside). Repeated B&E in the area...that's a different story.

If there are numbers in the black dot, it's how many times the police have had a report there. This could mean a troublesome neighbor...either at that location or nearby who has a grudge against that person. If you've got someone calling the cops every time there's a party, you probably don't want to live on that street anyway. But not because of 'crime.'

Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I've never been a victim of crime in all my years of living here. I know it exists, but if you don't live in those areas and use common sense you most likely won't have a problem.
This was my "eh". What brinkofsunshine poster typed. Sums up what some of us (including myself) have been saying for years about Orlando. It's not astonishing. I live in a "dangerous crime" area. I won't even say high crime. I don't see the police helicopter every night or hear sirens every day or night at the current given last few months, but it's still one of those areas where violent car jackings, police chases, armed store robberies can and might happen . Does it often? No. Have I been a victim of any crime in my zip code? Not at all. And I don't just stay in the house. It's not because I'm black either. I know tons of white people in this area as well as Hispanic, Mexican, Haitian, and just people from wherever. Most of us have that common sense brinkofsunshine mentioned.

Don't mind me I'm just rambling. We all know Orlando is a safe city, in terms of feeling. Most of this ish happens and we know it, it doesn't stop any of us from our daily routines. Some of you are itchy enough to change your driving route for no reason at all, but if that is the way you are and it helps you, so be it.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Stats don't tell the whole story. Go to Oakland, DC, Detroit, or Baltimore than tell me about crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando