Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 PM

20 posts, read 35,757 times

Advertisements

Won't happen. I agree with tworent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM

496 posts, read 521,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
A big scam
Please explain.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,900,406 times
I would also like to hear...

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

217 posts, read 326,218 times
No scam. They're on track. The Lake Mary portion is continuously being worked on.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
I think they're alleging that the development around the station isn't happening or won't be to the scale of what is planned. I tend to agree with the latter. Not sure how anyone can foresee huge ridership numbers in area where people are as allergic to tolls as Orlando is. Sunrail won't be free and one will more or less have to drive to/from the stations and then pay a fare. When you hear of so many who avoid the 417 for instance because of tolls and would rather spend twice the time driving, the expectation for anything good with Sunrail is unrealistic at best.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 AM

105 posts, read 179,753 times
My company is considering opening a new office in downtown Orlando. Which means our finance/HR/CEO and other admin persons will have to relocated to this new downtown location. The construction for I-4 is scheduled to begin in 2014. Hopefully Sunrail is up and running by the time my office is ready to move. I'm only 2 miles from the nearest Sunrail station and will be one of those people that will park my car and ride the train. Anything to avoid the traffic mess that will happen once construction starts on I-4.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think they're alleging that the development around the station isn't happening or won't be to the scale of what is planned. I tend to agree with the latter. Not sure how anyone can foresee huge ridership numbers in area where people are as allergic to tolls as Orlando is. Sunrail won't be free and one will more or less have to drive to/from the stations and then pay a fare. When you hear of so many who avoid the 417 for instance because of tolls and would rather spend twice the time driving, the expectation for anything good with Sunrail is unrealistic at best.
Well since this is a commuter rail system like the Chicago Metra which I'm familiar with, it seems silly that you act as if it's not common for people to drive from their suburban homes to their local suburban station. That's the whole idea. You spend 5 minutes in your car from home in Deland to station in Deland and then hop a comfortable, single seat ride, into downtown Orlando where your office will be walk or bikeable. This happens in much larger metros like Chicago everyday and is exactly how it should be, these trains don't stop out front of everybody's house lol.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM

112 posts, read 328,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Well since this is a commuter rail system like the Chicago Metra which I'm familiar with, it seems silly that you act as if it's not common for people to drive from their suburban homes to their local suburban station. That's the whole idea. You spend 5 minutes in your car from home in Deland to station in Deland and then hop a comfortable, single seat ride, into downtown Orlando where your office will be walk or bikeable. This happens in much larger metros like Chicago everyday and is exactly how it should be, these trains don't stop out front of everybody's house lol.
the difference is that

In big cities the transit system has multiple stops which leaves you a block or two from work.

In this system you might wind up being a mile away..... which although walkable or bikeable is not so much so in the rain.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 PM

112 posts, read 328,202 times
the thing that messes up sunrail is that it only runs once every 2 hours after 6pm and doesnt run at all on the weekends.

in other words,

imagine living in seminole county and being able to go to the amway center or bars and clubs downtown or the florida mall without having to deal with traffic, parking or crazy high taxi costs. that could have been a reality with sunrail and many people would have used it for that alone

but

the people who run sunrail messed it up.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm actually quite familiar with rapid transit having lived carless in both Washington DC and Philadelphia for 12 years. My point is that Orlando area residents who have issues with paying $2.00 tolls aren't likely to drive to a SunRail station, then park and board a train to/from work which will cost four times that amount. Furthermore I'm pretty sure the average area resident isn't familiar with the concept and the potential benefits which is going to make it a tough sell overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando