Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 16,681 times

Advertisements

So, it's becoming more and more likely that my husband will be transferred to a job in The Villages. We're in our 30's and have three kids, so not super excited about that area. There must be families who are employed in that retirement city though. Where do they all live? Do they live in Orlando and commute? Somewhere in-between? We are coming to accept that working in the villages will come with a bit of a commute. What's doable for most people? Thanks so much for any input!

What we'd be looking for:
1. Highly Rated Public Schools
2. Lots of opportunities to join organized youth sports
3. Close proximity to decent shopping, natural groceries, farmers markets
4. nice house with a pool, some grass around or under 500K
5. Not too far from the Disney stuff in case we have family wanting to stay w/ us and go to the park
6. A place where we fit in (I'm a bit crunchy, and my husband works in the financial industry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Lol, This will be very complicated! Your best bet would be to look further north into Ocala into the Forest/Lake Weir High districts these are the closest good districts close to the Villages. The fact that the Villages is a Huge retirement community it would be a little bit of a drive to anywhere with kids. If you do decide to move to Ocala move into the area of Maple wood, South Ocala, or shady Hill elementary it is the best school in the area. There are some really nice homes VERY VERY few even come close to 500k though. Most of the homes in the area have pools, or you could get cheap yearly passes to wild waters. There is an Earth Origins market off of Silver Springs Blvd. Keep in mind that if you choose Ocala that would be a 35 Commute each way for your husband. Also there is Leesburg the schools just are not as good.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I c/b wrong but I thought there was a school in The VIllages for Village employees

Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I agree that Ocala would be your best bet and hits pretty much all of your criteria. The schools on the SE side are very good with the Ocala Forest HS district the area to seek out. The commute is fairly long as pointed out but not subject to traffic congestion which should help a lot.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Minneola or northern Clermont would fit the bill with "A" schools (as long as you live in an East Ridge not South Lake high neighborhood). Very friendly, safe. lot's of activities, and an easy 45 minutes to The Villages.

Given your budget, I'd specifically look in Legends. All schools are "A" rated and a lot of families in Legends that are similar to you. It's 30 minutes to Disney. There's a Sunday Farmers Market in Clermont. Good local doctors and hospital, great new library, lot's of sports leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando