Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All of the commercial new construction in this area besides Verizon (750 jobs over two years, half of whom will be moved in from elsewhere) is for new restaurants and retail which while employing more residents and artificially lowering our unemployment rate will provide us with yet more service sector wages, minus health insurance options for most. If anyone thinks that this kind of growth is sustainable they clearly are lacking in any knowledge of economics.
You'd rather have sustainable union jobs paying $30/hr with benefits that you let you retire after 30 years on the jobs and only require a HS? Ask detroit how that's working out for them

Service sector jobs growth is not a uniquely orlando problem. Stop pretending it is

Why wages for jobs aren't rising - Sep. 11, 2012

Quote:
Another reason for sluggish wage growth is that much of the recent job growth has been in low wage industries.

High unemployment also pushes people to take jobs they otherwise wouldn't. This is especially true as economic growth remains weak and unemployment benefits run out.
Low-wage jobs explosion - Aug. 31, 2012

Quote:
Sure, the economy is adding jobs these days...but most of those positions pay pretty poorly.

Some 58% of the jobs created during the recovery have been low-wage positions, according to a new report by the National Employment Law Project. Only 22% have been mid-wage jobs and 20% higher-wage positions. These low-wage jobs pay $13.83 an hour or less.
Do you see "unique to orlando" mentioned anywhere in there? I sure don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM

388 posts, read 790,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have an agenda alright, hoping that everyone who lives here that thinks that things are so ducky will come to the realization that "all of the growth" is just that and nothing more. All of the commercial new construction in this area besides Verizon (750 jobs over two years, half of whom will be moved in from elsewhere) is for new restaurants and retail which while employing more residents and artificially lowering our unemployment rate will provide us with yet more service sector wages, minus health insurance options for most. If anyone thinks that this kind of growth is sustainable they clearly are lacking in any knowledge of economics. Growth alone does not strengthen an economy, a healthy dose of disposable income sustains it. Does anyone really expect this area to thrive primarily on part-time $10-$12 an hour jobs over the long haul? And for the record I don't live in an area I "hate so much", I just see things differently than the pom-pom shaking, rainbows/kittens/unicorns/sunshine types who try to dominate conversation on this forum and paint an inaccurate picture to some of what the area is really like. The Orlando metro area is not a one-size fits all place to live (more so than most places I believe) and a balance of realism is definitely needed on this particular forum for that very reason. I like the weather here generally, have a nice home, good friends and feel pretty settled at the moment..... which is pretty common for many Americans who many not be in love with where they live currently.
Gotta say, while I love Orlando and love living here, you do have some valid points. I moved from Northern VA, an area I had grown to despise, so I feel your pain. I'm just glad that you're happy here, despite your posts.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You'd rather have sustainable union jobs paying $30/hr with benefits that you let you retire after 30 years on the jobs and only require a HS? Ask detroit how that's working out for them

Service sector jobs growth is not a uniquely orlando problem. Stop pretending it is

Why wages for jobs aren't rising - Sep. 11, 2012

Low-wage jobs explosion - Aug. 31, 2012

Do you see "unique to orlando" mentioned anywhere in there? I sure don't.
It certainly isn't "unique to Orlando" but since it was already so far behind in terms of a professional jobs sector, it's even more magnified here and more dire in terms of it's current recovery outlook. Unfortunately Orlando isn't on the tip of the tongue for corporate relocation and there needs to be a way for that to be more the case. If Orange, Seminole, Osceola and Lake Counties could figure out a way to work together to promote the region it might help. One doesn't get the sense that's currently happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando