Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM

515 posts, read 624,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As some who was convinced by family members that Orlando was better than Miami when I moved here 8 years ago? Don't believe the hype! Orlando has the same issues as Miami except with out the "status" Crime, drugs, kids bringing guns to schools, poverty worse than Miami because they only pay you minimum wage. I would go back to Miami in a heart beat!
Orlando is a cesspool of low income employers.
It is true. Orlando has rapidly changed in the same manner as Miami but without many of the perks of South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 783 times
Hello, we seem to be in the same boat, we are a Hispanic family just move from Miami 2 months ago, we just found a house for rent in Hunters creek, which seems to be a nice area. im also an elementary teacher hoping to find a teaching position soon. Also with a VPK child, we appreciate all cultures and have great respect and love for this country, since our children were born here.
best wishes to you and your family. blessings !

Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaphilo02 View Post
Hello, we seem to be in the same boat, we are a Hispanic family just move from Miami 2 months ago, we just found a house for rent in Hunters creek, which seems to be a nice area. im also an elementary teacher hoping to find a teaching position soon. Also with a VPK child, we appreciate all cultures and have great respect and love for this country, since our children were born here.
best wishes to you and your family. blessings !
Just curious - since you're moved here, what have you noticed that's different here vs. the Miami area, either good or bad?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Since Orlando is becoming "Miami-Lite," I'm quite sure that if I were to move back to FL, I'd skip right over Orlando and head straight for Tampa-St. Pete.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 AM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The better schools are in the Seminole County suburbs just to the northeast which are removed from the congested tourist areas which many find a perk. You might check out Winter Springs, Oviedo, Lake Mary and Sanford which have the top school districts, and homes in your price range as well.
Yep. I live in Oviedo. My next door neighbor is Puerto Rican and the sweet lil old lady across the street is from Cuba. I LOVE my neighbors. Practical, fun and helpful.

You'll do better in Seminole county than Orange with small children. Oviedo is child oriented, water parks, skate parks, etc. There are private schools and a prep school (Trinity, WP).

There's enough undamaged land that you can do a bit of woodsy stuff, bird watching, hiking, bicycling, etc.

(If you hit it just right, you can have MY place, lol, we're moving to retire in no man's land, 60 miles from the nearest paved road in the upper Appalachians.)

My home is 3/2 on an acre, lots of oaks and owls, we have laying hens. Our mortgage is 800(ish) a month, 1010 with insurance and taxes escrowed. Maybe that'll give you an idea as to cost.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Since Orlando is becoming "Miami-Lite," I'm quite sure that if I were to move back to FL, I'd skip right over Orlando and head straight for Tampa-St. Pete.
Well with the placement of the metros you'd actually go to Tampa first then the Orlando. Tampa also has a ever growing Puerto Rican population, But it is exclusively in Hillsborough County. In Orlando They are every where in Osceola County, Southern Volusia, Southern Lake, Southern Seminole, and in too many places to name in Orange County. It is not a bad thing its just that they come, and they make their own community without benefiting everybody, and just speak Spanish.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
You might as well skip over to Jacksonville, you'll still have another 10 or 15 years before the hispanic population gets too uncomfortable for you.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post
Welcome to Central Florida .... and please leave the " I no speeky english Hialeah attitude " in Hialeah. In other words we speeky english in O-Town!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Apparently not for long. Puerto Ricans are happy to speak english but if enough Chongas make the move they will turn Mickey into a Miguel in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
You might as well skip over to Jacksonville, you'll still have another 10 or 15 years before the hispanic population gets too uncomfortable for you.
Just as an FYI to the OP and others, this is just a snippet of the racism you'll experience in Central Florida. Instead of skipping over the South Florida metro from Hialeah you might consider Palm Beach County which will give much the same environment as Central Florida (or nicer) with diversity and a lot less hostility/racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando