Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
Oh I know - it's night and day difference. Gotta weigh the benefits. Cheaper by UCF and it would help my sister out. I commuted for a couple months from UCF to downtown during rush hour it wasn't too bad, but this was 6 years ago. (and when I say "not too bad" I know it's congested but at least traffic usually moves unlike the non-stop stand-still in NY rush hour)
Honestly it would probably benefit you both to live in downtown and for her to commute to UCF... taking the 408 from downtown to UCF in the morning during rush hour is a breeze, at least between 7 and 8. However, the opposite way is a nightmare and I feel bad for anyone having to make that commute. Plus, the area around UCF isn't that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:02 PM

492 posts, read 1,024,852 times
I agree with brinkofsunshine. The reverse commute is a good idea.

Also, if necessary, you can find cheaper places to live just east of downtown (still the downtown area) and that'll free you from the traffic issues on downtown streets. You'd still be a very short car ride (or 30ish min walk) from downtown. Look in the Milk District area. There's a bunch of bars, some restaurants, lots of stores, etc., in that area.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Honestly it would probably benefit you both to live in downtown and for her to commute to UCF... taking the 408 from downtown to UCF in the morning during rush hour is a breeze, at least between 7 and 8. However, the opposite way is a nightmare and I feel bad for anyone having to make that commute. Plus, the area around UCF isn't that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
I agree with brinkofsunshine. The reverse commute is a good idea.

Also, if necessary, you can find cheaper places to live just east of downtown (still the downtown area) and that'll free you from the traffic issues on downtown streets. You'd still be a very short car ride (or 30ish min walk) from downtown. Look in the Milk District area. There's a bunch of bars, some restaurants, lots of stores, etc., in that area.
Def agree as well. This is good advice for anyone who might need to work in the Orlando area. Commutes are generally bad into downtown in the morning whether you are coming from South Orlando (Celebration/Dr Phillips) or North Orlando (Altamonte/Lake Mary). The reverse commute will be better for one of you, and the other will be right there in downtown.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 PM

28 posts, read 37,293 times
I move from Brooklyn NY to Downtown Orlando and have to say, in all my life I never seen so much homeless ppl in a so call city/downtown. I only use my car if I need to get out of downtown....

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM

185 posts, read 457,471 times
a lot to consider. I've been checking out the costs of downtown and now I am definitely thinking of being closer by UCF/Oviedo area. Prices are much cheaper - and I don't really mind the commute. I'm used to it anyway here in NY. I did it for a short period my senior year in college to an office downtown and it wasn't that bad. Traffic was heavy but it generally moved.
We'll see - I still would prefer the downtown lifestyle.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 PM

35 posts, read 184,898 times
To the OP: I'm actually looking at a job in the same building that you mentioned. Wonder if it's the same company. I don't know anything about Orlando aside from vacationing at Walt Disney World, but I'm going down in a week to get a feel for the area and where I might want to live.

Hope you don't mind a slight hijack, but I'm wondering what the approximate rent would be for a 1 bedroom apartment downtown. I'm just starting my research into Orlando and read that Baldwin Park is a good neighborhood, but pricey. Is it more or less than downtown?

Also a factor for me is that I'm an avid runner and I like to be able to just leave my door and head out. Is it safe to run downtown at night (between say 6-9pm)?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 AM

698 posts, read 959,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1120 View Post
I'm wondering what the approximate rent would be for a 1 bedroom apartment downtown. I'm just starting my research into Orlando and read that Baldwin Park is a good neighborhood, but pricey. Is it more or less than downtown?

Also a factor for me is that I'm an avid runner and I like to be able to just leave my door and head out. Is it safe to run downtown at night (between say 6-9pm)?
Running safely at night, depends on the neighborhood.

A place comparable to Baldwin Park downtown would be that and more, unfortunately.
Check out Thornton Park and Lake Eola, that should give you an idea

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1120 View Post
To the OP: I'm actually looking at a job in the same building that you mentioned. Wonder if it's the same company. I don't know anything about Orlando aside from vacationing at Walt Disney World, but I'm going down in a week to get a feel for the area and where I might want to live.

Hope you don't mind a slight hijack, but I'm wondering what the approximate rent would be for a 1 bedroom apartment downtown. I'm just starting my research into Orlando and read that Baldwin Park is a good neighborhood, but pricey. Is it more or less than downtown?

A nice 1 BR in either downtown or Baldwin Park would start at about $1000/month. Most people have roommates. It is relatively safe to run in both downtown and BP. What I mean by that is I ran both at all hours and have not had any problems. However, for a woman, I think it's safe with no issues if your running between 5 - 9 pm. Alot of other people around the lake and the neighborhoods, however anything later than that I would consider running with a partner or a dog.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM

492 posts, read 1,024,852 times
Downtown 1 bedrooms are *mostly* $1200-$1600, but you can find cheaper apartments in some of the very small buildings and in Camden Orange Court ($1000) and Uptown Place ($900-$1100). It is also possible to find cheaper (older) homes and duplexes right around downtown to the east.

Baldwin Park is not walkable to downtown, but it is not far. It is pricey and has its own little downtown area.

You will be safe running 6-9 pm in BP or downtown. If you live downtown, you can run around Lake Eola (beautiful and safe).

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

698 posts, read 959,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
you can find cheaper apartments in some of the very small buildings

How do you find what's available in the small buildings in/near downtown?
Craigslist or property management?
DM me if want to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando