Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

Hi there I am relocating to florida in September. I currently live in Delaware and have a trip planned coming up soon, in May to check things out. I have primary have had my eyes set on Orlando. And that is where I will be staying during my trip. But now I am getting cold feet about being so far from the beaches. I have not made my mind up yet on which coast I would like to be on. But was really liking the idea of Orlando because of the better looks of the economy. I have a marketing degree and was hoping to find a nice career. Does anyone have any input of a nice town about half way from the beach and Disney.

Would really love any ideas of towns

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Harmony FL is halfway between Melbourne and Disney.

Lakeland is halfway between Disney and the west coast beaches

Not sure how you define "nice town" btw

Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetobeBeachLiving View Post
Hi there I am relocating to florida in September. I currently live in Delaware and have a trip planned coming up soon, in May to check things out. I have primary have had my eyes set on Orlando. And that is where I will be staying during my trip. But now I am getting cold feet about being so far from the beaches. I have not made my mind up yet on which coast I would like to be on. But was really liking the idea of Orlando because of the better looks of the economy. I have a marketing degree and was hoping to find a nice career. Does anyone have any input of a nice town about half way from the beach and Disney.

Thanks so much!
Living close to Disney or living close to the beach......beach wins.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetobeBeachLiving View Post

Thanks so much!

Huh??? I would encourage you to reassess that conclusion. Orlando has the worst job market/economy of the major cities in Florida. Unless you're planning a career that involves the tourism industry Orlando is lacking in terms of available jobs and demand far exceeds, particularly in terms of jobs that pay a living wage. Here's some fuel for thought...

•Annual median pay in the Orlando Metro area is $29,450 — last among the top 50 metro areas. The median reflects the point where half the jobs pay more and half pay less.

•37 percent of jobs pay less than $25,000. Among the 100 biggest metro areas, only El Paso, Texas, has a bigger share of workers making less than $25,000.

• Among the 50 largest cities, Metro Orlando ranks last in jobs paying $50,000 to $75,000 — and last in jobs paying $75,000 or more. It finishes 39th in jobs paying $25,000 to $50,000. Middle-income jobs, in particular, were decimated by the recession after expanding earlier in the decade. Since 2007, the region has lost more than 155,000 jobs that paid between $25,000 and $75,000.

Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Huh??? I would encourage you to reassess that conclusion. Orlando has the worst job market/economy of the major cities in Florida. Unless you're planning a career that involves the tourism industry Orlando is lacking in terms of available jobs and demand far exceeds, particularly in terms of jobs that pay a living wage. Here's some fuel for thought...

•Annual median pay in the Orlando Metro area is $29,450 — last among the top 50 metro areas. The median reflects the point where half the jobs pay more and half pay less.

•37 percent of jobs pay less than $25,000. Among the 100 biggest metro areas, only El Paso, Texas, has a bigger share of workers making less than $25,000.

• Among the 50 largest cities, Metro Orlando ranks last in jobs paying $50,000 to $75,000 — and last in jobs paying $75,000 or more. It finishes 39th in jobs paying $25,000 to $50,000. Middle-income jobs, in particular, were decimated by the recession after expanding earlier in the decade. Since 2007, the region has lost more than 155,000 jobs that paid between $25,000 and $75,000.

Central Florida low-wage workforce: Central Florida metro area job market is the lowest-paying in the country - Orlando Sentinel
Absolutely right, if you're unskilled/low-skilled. If you are in certain sectors of the economy though, Orlando is fine (and in some ways is actually better, thanks to its decent international presence).

Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Absolutely right, if you're unskilled/low-skilled. If you are in certain sectors of the economy though, Orlando is fine (and in some ways is actually better, thanks to its decent international presence).
Yeah, no...not really. Conservatively speaking, there are three applicants for every job in the US. That doesn't count those who are no longer counted as "unemployed" because we stop counting those people after a period of time. Also factor in Orlando doesn't have the typical multi-dimensional economy where those with college degrees and varying levels of skills can apply to many different companies which would make those numbers of 3 to 1 certainly go higher. Let's also not forget the presence of the degree mill known as UCF which has a student body of 55K and several thousand graduates each year.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 PM

15 posts, read 28,644 times
You might want to consider the east Orlando area around Waterford Lakes or Avalon Park. You can jump on the B-Line and be in Cocoa area beaches in about 30 minutes. This area is near UCF and is really thriving.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
As a 15 year resident of East Orlando myself, Tonya is on track, and having lived in Winter Park and Volusia County I'd love to chat with you about the area. I'm in real estate and I have a lot of information I'd be happy to share with you, no obligation whatsoever, of course! Like all metro areas there are pluses and minuses. Don't let fussy people deter your dreams. I have been in Central Florida for 25 years and it can be a dream come true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando