Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And how do you know someone is holding the door for you because you're a woman ?

If someone gets to the door before me and holds it for me, I'm fine with that -- and I would assume they would do that for anyone regardless of gender. (If they don't, that's sexism to me.) On the other hand, when a man feels the need to run up to the door just to open it for me, I find that rude. Being pushed down by a person who feels the need to open a door because apparently I'm incapable of doing such a menial task on my own is not polite to me.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
And as you can see, it is a regional issue… North Carolinians can certainly keep it up there, and I'll gladly avoid it down here.
I'll take chivalry over rudeness any day ... and I'll take "Yes sir" over "Yeah boss man" any day.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If someone gets to the door before me and holds it for me, I'm fine with that -- and I would assume they would do that for anyone regardless of gender. (If they don't, that's sexism to me.) On the other hand, when a man feels the need to run up to the door just to open it for me, I find that rude. Being pushed down by a person who feels the need to open a door because apparently I'm incapable of doing such a menial task on my own is not polite to me.
How the h*ll do you know if the person feels your incapable of opening the door ? Pretty presumptous on your part ... maybe he was trained by his parents to open doors for women and it's habitual. Do you chew those men out that rush ahead and open the door for you ?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Quote:
How the h*ll do you know if the person feels your incapable of opening the door ? Pretty presumptous on your part ... maybe he was trained by his parents to open doors for women and it's habitual. Do you chew those men out that rush ahead and open the door for you ?

What you're describing about it being a habit is why it is called benevolent sexism as opposed to other forms of sexism. Just because someone is trained to do something doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do. Just because something has been done for generations doesn't mean it is something that will continue or should continue going forward.

I don't chew out people who rush to open a door for me -- I stop where I am and let them stand there with the door open and say "no thank you". When they go inside, then I go and open the door for myself. Then again, it's all about how you were raised. I was raised to be an independent woman. Not everyone feels that it is appropriate for a woman to be equal to a man, and I respect that -- which is why I don't live in places where that is the norm and encourage people who have that mindset to seek out others of like minds in those sorts of places.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Compared to the North Florida is definitely more polite. People will wait and hold doors open for you regardless of sex. Many will say sir and ma'm, even if your not even old. People will apoligize for no reason. The surface pleasantries are something you will run into all the time. At work people who don't even like you will say hi.

It's different then the 90's though. In the 90's the people were genuinely curious to meet you ESPECIALLY if you are not from there. I remember being offered a job without even really looking for one by a lady down there during a weeks vacation with a friend.

That's the main thing that has changed. The wages are still low and competition for slave level jobs still high. It's still hot and if you can't take the heat don't live here.

What's changed is the overall attitude. With so many people moving here from all over the people here have become very judgemental. This is even true of transplants who have been around for a while. Curiosity and genuine down to earth friendly attitudes have been replaced with a pretentious judgemental vibe. Florida's decline is blamed on anyone not from here.

Honesty is swept under the rug as that would be too confrontational. Instead everyone walks around being fake. Positivity is placed at a much higher value than honesty. Anyone who says how they feels or tries to be themselves is looked down upon.

I find the entire thing to be passive aggressive and immature. It's almost like Florida was an only child and is now jealous of it's new brother and sister.

I think it's great to value positivity and to have a low stress social environment but in the end Florida is not progressing as a culture or with true unity by ignoring the issues and the issues is that the people just don't mesh well. Florida has not accepted the changes or growth and people can get away with being disrespectful because they arn't called on it. Instead they hide behind these fake walls and just outcast anyone who isn't like them to protect themselves from some sort of percieved threat.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
What you're describing about it being a habit is why it is called benevolent sexism as opposed to other forms of sexism. Just because someone is trained to do something doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do. Just because something has been done for generations doesn't mean it is something that will continue or should continue going forward.

I don't chew out people who rush to open a door for me -- I stop where I am and let them stand there with the door open and say "no thank you". When they go inside, then I go and open the door for myself. Then again, it's all about how you were raised. I was raised to be an independent woman. Not everyone feels that it is appropriate for a woman to be equal to a man, and I respect that -- which is why I don't live in places where that is the norm and encourage people who have that mindset to seek out others of like minds in those sorts of places.
What if a woman opened the door for you ? Would you tell her no as well ?

IMO, anyone who equates a man opening a door for a woman to "women not being equal to men" or being an "independent woman" is immersed in minutia which has nothing to do with washing away years of gender bias.

And you happen to live in a multi-cultural city with a sizeable Latin, Indian & Vietnamese population ... ask some of the women in those cultures how the woman is still perceived in their households.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:03 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Your knowledge of civility in GA/SC/NC is obviously limited as anyone with a pulse can see that as a general rule, people in Orlando are not as civil as those in the aforementioned states. Southern hospitality does not apply in Orlando.
I agree. I was just in Western North Carolina for a week traveling to varying towns and noticed the same everywhere I visited. People acknowledged your presence in public by holding doors, making eye contact, willingly engaging in conversation, saying please/thank you and generally seem more "open" to coexistence with others and not bitter animosity, which has become the prevalent trait exhibited here in Central Florida. The reason people move out of Central Florida in fact extends beyond the ****-poor economy and horrific weather.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree. I was just in Western North Carolina for a week traveling to varying towns and noticed the same everywhere I visited. People acknowledged your presence in public by holding doors, making eye contact, willingly engaging in conversation, saying please/thank you and generally seem more "open" to coexistence with others and not bitter animosity, which has become the prevalent trait exhibited here in Central Florida. The reason people move out of Central Florida in fact extends beyond the ****-poor economy and horrific weather.
Very well put, bitter animosity pretty much sums it up. There are plenty of cities with people from all over the country that lack this issue and deal with any issues that may exist in a more mature way. I'm not sure why this issue exists here.

The lady talking about the whole door thing pretty much sums up my issue with a lot of the women here as well. Something as simple as making eye contact with them can be percieved as all these negative things.

Sometimes it's just a pretentious stuck up attitude, other times it's probably because these women have ran into so much trashy misleading BS down here that they probably just hate men in general at this point. I try to have empathy for their situation but that doesn't seem to help either, they just continue to front and act like people not worth having a conversation with. The only women down here that arn't damaged beyond repair and worth dating are from smaller towns or they are new here. All the losers down here must have ruined it for everyone else.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
I'll take chivalry over rudeness any day ... and I'll take "Yes sir" over "Yeah boss man" any day.
Absolutely. One is much more pleasant over all than the other. Like professional vs. casual

Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:

yea, me too.

oh well, FL is a good fit i can see.

all good lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando