Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
More than you would think. I have any number of friends in the San Francisco/Marin/San Mateo County area who drive to work, make six figures, and have bought a home in the past five years or so. Not all are in tech, either.
Thanks Annerk for clueing in the clueless ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What do sex offenders have to do with it? R U taking the low road again?
No, the real road ... just to show you there are folks in Florida into high-tech. Lots of keyboard jockeys out there ....

Old 11-07-2014, 12:09 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
More than you would think. I have any number of friends in the San Francisco/Marin/San Mateo County area who drive to work, make six figures, and have bought a home in the past five years or so. Not all are in tech, either.
So for grins and giggles, I punched in "San Francisco, CA" in a Zillow search and put the price tag with a max of $600K. I got a few condos in that price range, but the only SFHs I saw were things like a lovely 1 bedroom/1 bath, 510 sq. ft. for $328,000.
1660 Shafter Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124 is For Sale - Zillow

When I punched in San Mateo, CA, I didn't get any SFHs under $600,000.

Looking at Atherton (in the heart of Silicon Valley), there's nothing below $1M.

Marin to Silicon Valley is a 2 hour trip, so while you can get a house around the $300K range, it still wouldn't help the tech commuter that much, but that *is* where some people are looking to buy if they work down in the valley….and why there are corporate bus routes to bring the workers in.

This is the kind of situation I'm talking about, if you haven't heard about the unique solutions being presented.
How the other half commutes in Silicon Valley - Los Angeles Times

Which, granted, coming from the DC area where slugging is the norm (although the Express Lanes may kill that off), commuting to work in odd ways doesn't seem that odd for me. My friends and family who do the corporate transportation say that it actually is really nice…more like getting a limo to work than carpooling. It's just the time factor that would kill me. Trading in my 1 minute commute for hours of commuting time just isn't my cuppa.

Anyhow, you all have fun with the thread… it's a running event weekend for the family, so we've all got to get our packets and bibs for tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Getting back to the point of the thread, Orlando was ranked number one for job growth which while impressive anyone with any common sense will realize it's not via the kind of jobs we should be crowing about.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
No, the real road ... just to show you there are folks in Florida into high-tech. Lots of keyboard jockeys out there ....
????

Old 11-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Getting back to the point of the thread, Orlando was ranked number one for job growth which while impressive anyone with any common sense will realize it's not via the kind of jobs we should be crowing about.
Any jobs are better than no jobs. Can u provide any details that show what this job growth is, or is not?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You're comparing metro SF to where ? All of Florida ? Good job ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
We should prefer to be like the rustbelt (Youngstown OH, Detroit, Reading Pa)?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I know my nephew and a few buddies graduated from Carnegie Mellon- and after a crazy party -the next day- one went off to China, one to Houston, and another to New York to work with very good salaries- My nephew went to Dallas with Cisco I think they obtained the jobs right from the college. SO. What they need to know, they will be trained. I have been shipped off to LA and recently to DC for training. So all depends. There are many Indians and sometimes there is NO way to ever make chief. It could happen- but not always so. One thing I did learn, I was looking back from 1960 forward... we are like a bouncing ball - up and down, up and down. In the 60's-70's going to a psychiatrists was the trend-because nobody could cope with our economic woes. Good people get jobs and can eat, would be nice if they could find the basics more affordable

Old 11-07-2014, 05:06 PM

What I wonder is what to the people who dont earn $100k + a year and didnt buy property several years ago. I am talking about the average person. The secretary. the bus driver, the auto mechanic.... etc.

Sounds like they have it pretty tough out there on the left coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
So for grins and giggles, I punched in "San Francisco, CA" in a Zillow search and put the price tag with a max of $600K. I got a few condos in that price range, but the only SFHs I saw were things like a lovely 1 bedroom/1 bath, 510 sq. ft. for $328,000.

Looking at Atherton (in the heart of Silicon Valley), there's nothing below $1M.

Marin to Silicon Valley is a 2 hour trip, so while you can get a house around the $300K range, it still wouldn't help the tech commuter that much, but that *is* where some people are looking to buy if they work down in the valley….and why there are corporate bus routes to bring the workers in.

This is the kind of situation I'm talking about, if you haven't heard about the unique solutions being presented.

Which, granted, coming from the DC area where slugging is the norm (although the Express Lanes may kill that off), commuting to work in odd ways doesn't seem that odd for me. My friends and family who do the corporate transportation say that it actually is really nice…more like getting a limo to work than carpooling. It's just the time factor that would kill me. Trading in my 1 minute commute for hours of commuting time just isn't my cuppa.

Anyhow, you all have fun with the thread… it's a running event weekend for the family, so we've all got to get our packets and bibs for tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post

Hayward, Livermore, Santa Clara, the list goes on. Tons of SFH's for sale in the sub-$600K range. I'm guessing you don't know the area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando