Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:24 AM

77 posts, read 118,634 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've been doing a lot of traveling on 417.

We need one of those passes .. but we see both Sunpass and Epass. What is difference and where do they work and not work?

And is it true you can get at Publix?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoFL2014 View Post
Hi,

We need one of those passes .. but we see both Sunpass and Epass. What is difference and where do they work and not work?

Thx

E-Pass is an invention of The Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX), an agency of the state, created by the Florida Legislature. CFX is an independent, locally controlled transportation authority. Maintaining local control is expected to better serve that area. Epass has a discount program. It is interoperable with Sunpass.

Sunpass was created by the Florida Department of Transportation. Sunpass customers get an average of a 25¢ discount on most tolls. Sunpass is fully interoperable with E-Pass.

Publix should carry them as well as CVS and Walgreens.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:12 PM

82 posts, read 204,805 times
We have the Epass, but they are interchangeable. The Epass website states that they offer discounts with much use per month on so it might be helpful if you will be using the toll road a lot.

From their website: "E-PASS customers pay less on most tolls than those paying with cash. Monthly discounts per transponder: 40-79 transactions receive a 5% discount and 80 or more receive 10%. The discount is computed and credited to your account at the end of each month.* Account holders also save when they drive on other toll roads in Florida, saving approximately 25% or more at most toll plazas.**"

Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
As far as discounts are concerned, pick the transponder for the type of roads you will be using the most. For example, if most of your time is spent on 408, then E-Pass is best. If you're driving the Turnpike and/or Seminole's portion of 417, then Sunpass is better. Some discounts apply to both transponders simply because you're not using cash.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 12,256 times
The above says that the two passes are fully interchangeable. However, after a recent trip to micanopy, then to cedar keys, then to Sarasota, and from there to the Orlando airport, and from there to Lake Mary, I received a bill from epass for $3.60. And I have a sunpass which had more than enough money on it to cover that amount. So, they don't seem fully interchangeable to me.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 PM

107 posts, read 137,558 times
So then at what point is it worth it to get the passes, if someone doesn't need to use tolls to get to work, for example? What happens if you drive thru the pass lanes without a pass?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoFL2014 View Post
Hi,

Thx
Go with Sunpass. It has more coverage and it is pretty easy to use.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRou74 View Post
The above says that the two passes are fully interchangeable. However, after a recent trip to micanopy, then to cedar keys, then to Sarasota, and from there to the Orlando airport, and from there to Lake Mary, I received a bill from epass for $3.60. And I have a sunpass which had more than enough money on it to cover that amount. So, they don't seem fully interchangeable to me.
Oh really where were you charged? What toll charged you the epass bill?

Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
What happens if you drive thru the pass lanes without a pass?
You will probably get a $100 ticket in the mail. They will find you based upon your car license plate.

I've had an E-pass for 20 years. I've used it in Orlando, the Florida Turnpike, the Miami toll roads and the Sanibel toll bridge. It's always worked as far as I know, I've never gotten a ticket in the mail.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:55 AM

46 posts, read 54,647 times
Epass and Sunpass are fully interchangable. Any place you see the Epass sign, Sunpass will work, and vice versa. Epass gets all Sunpass discounts. Epass has additional discounts for going through Epass (not Sunpass) over 20 times in a single month. Only Central Florida residents can get Epass, Sunpass is available to everyone. Epass is also free for the sticker (with adding a $10 balance to your toll account), Sunpass charges $5. If you can get Epass, there is no advantage to Sunpass.

If you have no transponder and drive thru the pass lanes without a pass, they are now sending out toll by plate invoices throughout most of the state. You pay the cash rate, plus 20 cents, on each toll booth, plus a service charge per month I believe. If you fail to pay the invoice then a toll violation is applied as well, but they do give you the opportunity to pay without that extra $100 first. There is no reason not to get Epass though, it will save you money even on the first toll.

edit; not sure if they still require central florida residency, the website seems to have removed that requirement... one advantage to sunpass is a little better website

Last edited by Anna Moose; 04-01-2017 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando