Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 11,879 times

Advertisements

I recently received a decent job offer that will take my wife and kids from the NY metro area (northern NJ) to Orlando. We just took a trip down to do a meet and great along with looking for areas to live and what the money can buy. We toured Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Winter Park, Oviedo, and took a swing through the city itself.

This actually reminds me more of a subtropical Buffalo (my home town) less the old architecture, but still the easy to get around streets, and the friendly people. I felt fairly comfortable in all areas.

My wife and I currently reside in an area that most closely resembles Winter Park. Of course we would love to park the family there but the prices may still be too high if my wife can not transition her job and will be a stay at home mom instead. Winter Springs, closer to the new town center is lovely as well and we like that area. However, we discovered Baldwin Park and that looks to be right up our alley as well. Are their a lot of families in that area or where are most families with younger kids concentrated? What was amazing to me was that last Saturday had amazing weather yet, we did not see many children out playing around in the areas we visited which where Winter Springs and Lake Mary (my co-worker took me around town and has kids as well and is a recent transplant). I just want to get to a safe place, with lots to do for them and us, thats semi walk-able, where the kids can grow and build some great friendships. Where we live now we are spoiled because a lot of people move to our location to have kids and start families.

So basically, whats the best area for young families with young children? We will rent first then make the jump to buying when we are sure.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Basically the places you are looking at have tons of young families I would add Longwood to your list and maybe Altamonte Springs, College Park, Delaney Park, and Audubon Park. Seminole County is most suggested to people with kids because of the good schools so I don't think you could go wrong. Also Southwest Orlando is experiencing tremendous growth with a giant integrated master planned community called Horizon West. Its actually not like your typical sprawl suburbia it has more of controlled growth feel with different phases. Horizon West here is a link.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Lake Mary would be a great choice for young families and would bear in mind that when you visited this past weekend temperatures didn't crack the mid 60s for the high which is considered "chilly" here....hence the lack of kids out playing.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Lake Mary would be a great choice for young families and would bear in mind that when you visited this past weekend temperatures didn't crack the mid 60s for the high which is considered "chilly" here....hence the lack of kids out playing.
The only pitfall I found to Lake Mary is that there's no true town center. If there is one I apologize but it didn't give a sense of community because of that. There didn't seem to be much walk-ability there either. We could have been looking in the wrong spots in that area though.

You are totally right about the weather and never thought of that. When we left NYC it was 15 degrees (unseasonable cold) so anything above 50 around here is get your butt outside weather.

Thanks all.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam8174 View Post
The only pitfall I found to Lake Mary is that there's no true town center. If there is one I apologize but it didn't give a sense of community because of that. There didn't seem to be much walk-ability there either. We could have been looking in the wrong spots in that area though.

You are totally right about the weather and never thought of that. When we left NYC it was 15 degrees (unseasonable cold) so anything above 50 around here is get your butt outside weather.

Thanks all.
Colonial Town Park...

Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Colonial Town Park...

Was stuck on Lake Mary boulevard and totally forgot to check that other area out. I will have to head over there the next time my company brings me down. Thanks for reminding me! I guess I lost track on that one with the kids going a little crazy in the car because they had to sit through a 3 hour flight. Then they didn't sleep well the whole time we where there which means the grown ups dont get to either.

Another quick ? for all of you..
Do you find that more rentals become available around May - July since that's the end of the school year? We are going to put our current house up for sale in March and figure a 3 month closing. Just trying to gauge the market there.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Colonial Town Park...
Exactly, as well as Lake Mary's Central Park area near 4th Street and Lake Mary Boulevard which hosts a very busy weekly Saturday Farmers Market, WineArt Wednesdays, Food Truck Nights, Holiday Festivals and more around the park (which has the lake with fountain). Colonial Town Park is more of a modern open-air entertainment venue with a stadium-seating movie theater, restaurants and shops but is very heavily utilized as a town center, and has it's own set of closed street events regularly throughout the year.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam8174 View Post
Another quick ? for all of you..
Do you find that more rentals become available around May - July since that's the end of the school year? We are going to put our current house up for sale in March and figure a 3 month closing. Just trying to gauge the market there.
Probably so, but not so sure it's as precise as that. Quality rentals go fast so if you find something you like a bit early in the opportunity window you might try carrying it a month if feasible so as to not lose it, versus waiting until you're entirely free to move.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM

22 posts, read 31,324 times
Summer is typically the busiest time for the housing market. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.orlando...ndssummary.pdf

Last edited by Orlando2015; 01-16-2015 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks all.

Another question.
Stick with seminal county for schools or Winter Park/Baldwin Park orange county schools still just as good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando