Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times

Advertisements

Great article on the design of OIA and how advanced it was for its time. For a city of this size, OIA is truly a world-class airport that offers flights to so many places. I'd fly OIA twice before flying JFK, Atlanta, or O'Hare once

Orlando International Airport turns 30: OIA planners were called foolhardy but now look visionary - OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM

812 posts, read 1,677,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Great article on the design of OIA and how advanced it was for its time. For a city of this size, OIA is truly a world-class airport that offers flights to so many places. I'd fly OIA twice before flying JFK, Atlanta, or O'Hare once

Orlando International Airport turns 30: OIA planners were called foolhardy but now look visionary - OrlandoSentinel.com
The main criticisms I have about OIA are all about the runway layouts. The fact there are no 09/27 or 13/31 options handicaps pilots and controllers. 17L/35R is not a timely option to those using gates 1-59. Does this concern affect Joe traveller? Maybe on a RARE occasion.

Other than that, I think it's a wonderful place to get in and out of as a driver. It's a wonderful place to set your laptop up and surf for free while waiting for a flight. Security is adequate, for pax; though the TSA ramp Nazis need to get a life when it comes to photographers.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,533 times
I've always liked our airport.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,369 times
I love OIA. The article definitely gets it right- you immediately feel like you're in Florida in there. The only other airport I really like is JFK's JetBlue Terminal... but even that includes a whole lot of walking and has a cold quality to it.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I love OIA. The article definitely gets it right- you immediately feel like you're in Florida in there. The only other airport I really like is JFK's JetBlue Terminal... but even that includes a whole lot of walking and has a cold quality to it.

Yeah T5 is nice compared to the rest of the dump that is JFK international

Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,349,066 times
I've traveled many airports around the country and always proud of airport upon arriving home. Some of my other favorites are Denver International, Providence and Charlotte. Random I know, I even like Reagan National for some reason but didn't like Atlanta, Logan or Dallas much.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,589,547 times
I love flying in and out of OIA, I always have

It gives you the impression of a clean and beautiful city. I also love seeing all the tract homes to the east, or downtown to the west as I fly over Semoran Blvd (on final descent), lets me know Im home

One thing though, OIA is HUGE. The property (both developed and non) takes up a HUGE chunk of land between 417 and 528 noth-south. Tradeport to Narcoosee east-west. That is a HUGE chunk of the city of Orlando

I used to use a great alternate route to 417 (when my epass was low on money) when I drove to Waterford Lakes to see friends. Id follow Wetherbee Rd to Boggy Creek than go south towards 417, than turn around and go north on Access Rd to Heintzelman Blvd, which turns into Goldenrod road once you cross 528, only pay a 50 cent toll, instead of the usual $3.75 I spent driving on 417 all the way to 408 than Alafaya

Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,411,749 times
OIA is by far, the single most spectacular airport I have ever been in. And yes, you really do get to have the quintessential "Florida experience" in there. From the monorails to the multicolored neon lights, to the Veitchia Merillii palm trees, and the tropical damp smell of the airport, it is the unmistakable mystique of Florida! I had the pleasure of visiting it in 1984!

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,349,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
One thing though, OIA is HUGE. The property (both developed and non) takes up a HUGE chunk of land between 417 and 528 noth-south. Tradeport to Narcoosee east-west. That is a HUGE chunk of the city of Orlando
This is very true, and also why it gives the deceptive appearance of the city density being lower than it is. A huge chunk of the city's land acreage is basically uninhabited whereas the actual developed areas of the city of moderately dense.

I will also think that given the sheer size of the terminal, they should have more people movers. walking from one side to the other is can be quite a long walk with elderly, disabled or young children. I know they have the people movers in the center but walking to those can be difficult for some.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM

189 posts, read 436,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

I used to use a great alternate route to 417 (when my epass was low on money) when I drove to Waterford Lakes to see friends. Id follow Wetherbee Rd to Boggy Creek than go south towards 417, than turn around and go north on Access Rd to Heintzelman Blvd, which turns into Goldenrod road once you cross 528, only pay a 50 cent toll, instead of the usual $3.75 I spent driving on 417 all the way to 408 than Alafaya
I used the same alternate to get to Valencia East from Southchase. I loved driving down Heintzelman Blvd and seeing the tons of cyclists daily sometimes taking up half the road.

I love our airport though, there's actually a nice variety of shops and restaurants to choose from. The international gates where customs are located is very nice, organized and set up conveniently. Much better than other airports I've traveled through; when everyone is done and processed through customs, a set of escalators go up right into the airside tram stop. The glass and modern architecture make it feel like a modern train station out of Europe or Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: