Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 12,490 times

Advertisements

Yes said face. I grew up in CF, lived in orlando for my teen years, went back after I got out of the army both times, live in Kissimmee and WPB. Been living in San Diego and loving it but family circumstances have me going back. Personally, I hate Florida but right now it is the best option for my son and all of my family is there. If anyone else has made this trip, what do you miss? Besides In N Out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I moved from San Francisco to Orlando at the start of the year and love it so much more. We don't have In N Out, but we have Blaze Pizza, Shake Shack and any day now we will have Habit Burger.

However, since Orlando is spread out, choosing what area to live is key. If I lived in Kissimmee, I would wish I was back in San Francisco every day. I live in Dr. Phillips and really love it. I'd also love to live in Downtown Orlando (Lake Eola, Thornton Park), College Park, or Winter Park.

The only thing I miss about SF is the Asian restaurants. I've found some good options here, but just not the same number of them. Other than that, I don't miss anything...

I'm in NYC right now and while I'm having a great time, I already miss Orlando. The day after I get back, I'm going to go Kayaking in Rock Springs from Kings Landing. The day after Christmas, I'm going to go biking on the West Orange Trail from downtown Winter Garden to Oakland Nature Preserve, then going to go on the little hike to Lake Apopka from there.

Just choose a good part of Orlando and check out all the off the beaten path things to do. There is a lot to enjoy. Also, I don't know how long ago you used to live here, but a lot of things have been booming, especially the area around and between Downtown Orlando to Winter Park.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:55 PM

12 posts, read 12,490 times
You know, thank you for the different perspective. Living there before I neglected to ever go to any of the parks. I actually went to Dr Phillips High. It's been a while, I haven't really lived in the Central Florida area for almost 10 years. I'm going to give it my best shot. I figure so long as I can get scuba diving in once a month and meet some good people, I should be able to make it just about anywhere.
BTW I've never heard of Blaze or Shake Shack, I'll put those on the list

Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justashane View Post
You know, thank you for the different perspective. Living there before I neglected to ever go to any of the parks. I actually went to Dr Phillips High. It's been a while, I haven't really lived in the Central Florida area for almost 10 years. I'm going to give it my best shot. I figure so long as I can get scuba diving in once a month and meet some good people, I should be able to make it just about anywhere.
BTW I've never heard of Blaze or Shake Shack, I'll put those on the list
No problem, I think you'd be happiest in one of the more hip neighborhoods around downtown to Winter Park. There are cool coffee shops opening and just more things you'd find in urban cities popping up. There are also a lot of young professionals in these areas.

Blaze I think started in California, but not sure, there are definetly a lot there and they just recently started popping up in Florida, it sounds like you know Habit Burger. Shake Shack is the In N Out of New York, I prefer In N Out but it's still worth trying if you are looking to fill an In N Out void. With that being said, there are better restaurants, but just throwing them out there since you mentioned In N Out.

I think you'll be fine, just choose a cool area to live like I mentioned before. Dr Phillips is nice but still caters to families, but Lake Eola, Thornton Park, Winter Park and areas around there have that hipster California vibe.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
There's really nothing like San Diego.
I think in almost every way it's a better place than Orlando. Sorry to burst you bubble.

Here's the kicker though. Orlando real estate is at least half the price of San Diego.

... and In & Out isn't that good... at all.
I think back to the one in Daly City and a bunch of Filipinos who apparently never ate a hamburger before in their life.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,050 times
You are at a different place in your life so Central Florida could be a lot better for you. You know it will be humid and hot and there will be bugs.. Florida does not have mountains. So don't spend your time complaining, it will not change.

Take advantage of all the nearby springs, to me one of the best things about Florida. The Ocean actually gets warm, you can go to New Smyrna or Cocoa Beach and actually surf without a wet suit ( I know the waves are better in California). You can go to the beach at night and not bring a jacket.

If you like kayaking there is plenty of water in Florida. You can hike or ride mountain bikes and the fall/winter and spring it is not too hot

As another posted pointed out the real estate is so much cheaper here. My sisters dad lives in San Diego and she lived there for about 10 years. She could not even think about finding a nice house there, she was looking at condos in sketchy areas of Oceanside for over $500k. She got a nice house near Jacksonville in a great neighborhood for $250K at the height of the real estate bubble

Good luck on your move, I hope it works out well for you and your son

Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 PM

216 posts, read 272,158 times
I've never lived in SD but have traveled their for work and leisure several times the past few years. It's always a bit depressing coming back to Orlando especially if you are coming back here in the June-September range when the weather is beyond brutal.

At least if you are coming back now weather is actually pretty nice here until May or so. Overall, if you are trying to build a family or buy property much more feasible to do so here than SD obviously. So that is another plus.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Best of luck. I'm sure you'll try to make the most of it and look at the positive side of things.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:50 PM

37 posts, read 40,792 times
Haha I feel sorry for you. Having to move back to that shlthole after san diego

Old 12-25-2016, 08:22 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn9922 View Post
Haha I feel sorry for you. Having to move back to that shlthole after san diego
Most people are successful in their relocations and then there is you. You must be a blast at parties, but you never got invited to one. Open the window blinds and let the sunshine in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando