Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM

38 posts, read 86,179 times

Advertisements

The Air Force does its best to keep married couples together but sometimes that means a little distance between the duty locations. I just got word today that I'm going to DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) Sacramento and my wife will be going to Beale. We originally planned on her going to Travis, thinking we might like Davis...although admittedly not sure if it would fit the bill for our desires. Basically our starting point got restarted!

Us: Married 16+ years, no kids (working on it) and one spoiled 9-year old Weimaraner who still isn't aware that she's a dog.

We'll definitely plan a trip to scout the area later this summer but any suggestions are much appreciated.

We DO NOT like suburbia. Had to do that in San Antonio and hated it!!! Would love a more urban neighborhood (Midtown?). We'd prefer something along those lines. We're planning on retiring in Portland and most of what we love is based on the Laurelhurst, Hawthorne area if you're at all familiar. We're hot hipsters, but like hip areas. Don't let the military thing fool you...we're pretty socially progressive.

Not fans of stip malls, chain restaraunts, etc.

Our activities our pretty important to us. She's huge into crossfit and I'm a competitive cyclist (Cat 2 roadie, mountain biker, cyclocross). The cycling scene is what originally drew us to Davis. Having access to both of those things is important.

We know someone's in store for a commute...no getting around that. We'd be more okay if we loved the area we lived.

I know...tall order. Any suggestions to get us off on the right foot?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Ian & Kristie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Midtown is the obvious answer for you, but the commute to Beale will be at least an hour each way.

The American River Parkway should meet your biking needs.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
If you want to keep racing Cat 2, I highly recommend calling Rob Kopitzke @ Body Concepts Inc: Race Team

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,582 times
I think we need a sticky on the Sacramento forum.

The only neighborhoods resembling urban in Sacramento are Downtown and Midtown.

Those of us who live here love it.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
If you want to keep racing Cat 2, I highly recommend calling Rob Kopitzke @ Body Concepts Inc: Race Team
Thanks. It looks like they're pretty focused on developmental programs though. I'm a little beyond that and working towards an upgrade to Cat I in about a year or so. Looks like a great program for those just getting into racing.

"The Body Concepts Team is a Developmental Race Team focused on teaching fundamental bike skills, team tactics/strategy and proven fitness programs for entry level racers (category 5 and 4’s) with emphasis on the Master’s categories and a Women’s program."

I've done some research on Midtown. Not a lot of properties available it seems. Maybe nobody wants to leave!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Look at Southside Park and Richmond Grove, the neighborhoods just south of the central business district and west of Midtown, if you want more housing options. What sort of properties are you looking for--apartment, condo, duplex, single-family? The area has held its value better than most suburbs since the collapse of the housing bubble, so the temptation to get "more for your money" in a suburban neighborhood is strong--but you don't get the city that goes with it. Some will recommend nearby neighborhoods like Land Park, Curtis Park and East Sacramento, but they're no cheaper, often more expensive, and more residential in character. Oak Park isn't quite ready for prime time, but in ten years that will probably be the new Midtown--and it has some places worth visiting now.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Like suburbia or not I'd wager you'll eventually end up in Lincoln or Roseville for sanity's sake. Midtown to Beale is going to be a bear of a commute.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM

What would we be realistically looking at commute wise from Midtown, et al. Google maps doesn't really tell the tale of traffic.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
NewToCA said an hour each way.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
An hour for the commute, depending on the temptation to speed. That'd be a bummer to commute in fog, but like you said, one of you has to do it. It was the same with my lady and I--she works in Woodland, I work downtown, and we love our neighborhood (Curtis Park), so she took the commute (carpools quite a bit) and I save a heap by biking everywhere I go.

I second wburg on those neighborhoods. I agree that Southside Park is a really cool and underrated neighborhood, as are parts of Alkali Flats (north of downtown). The Land Park/Curtis Park/East Sac neighborhoods are all pretty residential and not as urban-ish as anything inside "the grid" but definitely not suburban. Pricey too, but the age of the places means there's a diversity of housing stock . All were developed about century ago, with plenty of interesting stores, and tree canopy that seems to become more useful everyday (still haven't used our A/C this year!).

Plenty(!) of biking around here, organized and otherwise. Also plenty of Crossfit. I was going to Good Times Crossfit for a while before I joined a fantastic climbing gym. Really impressed with the place. Next to a great brewery, as it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento