Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,428 times

Advertisements

So Dixie Stampede just closed with everyone out of a job and management does not give them one word of warning to look for another job. If anyone wants to move here this is how most businesses will treat you. This is the major downfall of this tourist driven market, any business owner will jump at the first opportunity to make money and not give a SH%^ about how many lives they are affecting. Just giving a warning to those who are thinking of moving here. This absolutely disgraceful, not like I would ever go there anyway. Business owners do not give one lick about the very people who make them successful. Almost 200 workers out of a job now all because of greed. Welcome to Florida, where your education does not matter.

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 01-08-2008 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: title description
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,596 times
Ah man, I always wanted to go there too. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times
While it is unfortunate... the words"not like I would go there" symbolize the problem. Without the support of patrons no business will survive. Calling it "greed" may be a push as every business requires a profit to operate. No notice isn't just a problem with Orlando, it is a common business practice everywhere... it may not be nice but thats business. They rarely take care of those that take care of them.
Here is a point I know of personally and first hand of a company that went above and beyond.... When Charlie hit Orlando Burger King trucked in palates of bottled beverages free for their employees. In my neighborhood it was about the only source of food... even McD's closed because they blew their freezer out. Most of the people were patient, the stores were operating at 5 times the volume of normal and the staff that suffered through the same storms were there doing their job. then occasionally someone would get abusive and in at least one case they were refused service because they were so nasty. Goes to show treat your food workers well, your well being may be in their hands someday.
It's a shame no one supported Dolly though, if we want to keep out businesses we must support them.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,450,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
So Dixie Stampede just closed with everyone out of a job and management does not give them one word of warning to look for another job. If anyone wants to move here this is how most businesses will treat you. This is the major downfall of this tourist driven market, any business owner will jump at the first opportunity to make money and not give a SH%^ about how many lives they are affecting. Just giving a warning to those who are thinking of moving here. This absolutely disgraceful, not like I would ever go there anyway. Business owners do not give one lick about the very people who make them successful. Almost 200 workers out of a job now all because of greed. Welcome to Florida, where your education does not matter.
Are you really laboring under the assumption that the people at the Dixie Stampede had an education that got them their job? I don't think so somehow.

The entertainment industry is a fickle thing, Disney and Universal did the same thing back in 2001 when tourism slowed down after 911.

If you work in the tourism industry this can certainly happen but common sense will tell you (a less emotional response if you will) that if you work in IT, or in health care, the treatment you get is going to be pretty much the same no matter what state you work in.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 AM

169 posts, read 656,210 times
Sam Sneads also closed downtown, the percentage of vacant or burned out businesses in Orlando Downtown is alarming, and the new condos didn't bring people or viable businesses, all you have are lots of people sitting around about to realize that their 500K investment is worth nothing. Exactly what they deserve, driven by blind greed.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,302,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are you really laboring under the assumption that the people at the Dixie Stampede had an education that got them their job? I don't think so somehow.

LMAO!!! Yeah, gotta say that was my initial impression as well.....

I remember the commercials for that place.... What kind of degree does one need to get to ride an ostrich anyway???

Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,680 times
Default I worked there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
LMAO!!! Yeah, gotta say that was my initial impression as well.....

I remember the commercials for that place.... What kind of degree does one need to get to ride an ostrich anyway???
Some of us DO have an education. But how does that even matter? Everyone is entitled to make income in some sort of way. They did NOT give us any notice and did not bother to tell us. The whole "we called everyone into a meeting and let them know" is BULL! We had to come to work and find the doors closed. They are telling us that they are giving us two months pay. Thats great. I am a server, so 3.65 an hour for 4 hours a day for two months. YAY, Snickers, here I come!!

They are also saying that some employees are being kept on, some are transfering. Yeah, um, managers (some) are transfering, and a small small small handful are being kept on for manual labor until everything is taken apart. Do us a favor, boycott the other Herschend properties: Dollywood, Silverdollar City, Stone Mountain, Dixie Stampedes, Wild Adventures, and the Ducks.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Some of us DO have an education. But how does that even matter? Everyone is entitled to make income in some sort of way. They did NOT give us any notice and did not bother to tell us. The whole "we called everyone into a meeting and let them know" is BULL! We had to come to work and find the doors closed. They are telling us that they are giving us two months pay. Thats great. I am a server, so 3.65 an hour for 4 hours a day for two months. YAY, Snickers, here I come!!

They are also saying that some employees are being kept on, some are transfering. Yeah, um, managers (some) are transfering, and a small small small handful are being kept on for manual labor until everything is taken apart. Do us a favor, boycott the other Herschend properties: Dollywood, Silverdollar City, Stone Mountain, Dixie Stampedes, Wild Adventures, and the Ducks.

Yes this is exactly my point. A large corporate real estate deal does not happen overnight. They could of at least given you a heads up to let you know you will be out of a job within a week or two. All these jobs want you to give a 2 weeks notice before you quit, well they could have given their employees a 2week notice to make some moves. Unfortunately most businesses here do not even have the common courtesy or professionalism and than tourists wonder why customer service here sucks. Its because of things like this along with the low pay.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM

541 posts, read 1,996,425 times
They also said it had nothing to do with lack of patrons-they were always very busy and did well. They "got an offer they could not refuse" for the land.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM

170 posts, read 753,785 times
this is not a florida thing or specific to vertain industries, its pretty much common practice to give little or no notice of closings, or layoffs, though after the event there were nearly always the signs that being layed off was inevidable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: