Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Orlando on May 8th for about a week and we plan to go to Disney World and Universal Studios. I don't know if I need to buy a fast pass so I don't have to wait in the lines for a long time if its not busy around that time then I might not need to buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:17 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
You'll be fine and in my opinion it's one of the two better months to go, the other being October...not only for the weather but the somewhat lighter crowds.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
A couple things--for Disney, the FastPass+ system is free with your admission. If you have purchased your tickets already or are staying at a Disney hotel, you are able to book FastPass+ selections before you arrive in Florida. Here's a step by step tutorial to show you how:

How to Make FastPass+ Reservations - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

If you are purchasing tickets on the day you arrive (or choose not to register your ticket online before you arrive), once you get into the park, check your guide map for the nearest FastPass+ kiosk, and the cast members there will help you sign up for three free FastPass+ choices for that day. In general, the earlier in the day, the better the selection. Once you have used your three FastPass+ selections, or once the time slot has gone by, you can then visit a FastPass+ kiosk to get another one. You can do this all day long to eliminate some waiting in line. Most casual tourists only do their first three, but I have known people who have done six or seven in a day.

But yes, all of that is free with admission, so there's no reason not to use it.

Looking at the Crowd Calendar for the site I work for (touringplans.com), for the week you are traveling you're looking at crowds of about 4 or 5 out of 10--so for an attraction like Space Mountain, you can expect lines to average through the day at around 33-54 minutes. Not sure if you are planning to attend Star Wars Weekends, but if that is important to you, you will find crowds at the Studios higher for May 15-17 at the Studios for the event, but wait times for attractions aren't significantly impacted. You may notice higher crowds at Epcot during that week, as it is the last week of the Flower and Garden festival.

Crowds at Universal will be similar, although lately Universal has had some challenges with capacity issues in the Harry Potter area, partially caused by ride down time. (They've apparently "solved" the problem by shutting off the last effect of the Gringott's ride, which unfortunately takes the ride down a notch in quality.)

For Universal's Express Pass (which is similar to Disney's FastPass+, but just costs money), there are several options you can buy. One is a "to the front of the line one time per ride" option, and then there's an unlimited pass. I don't know how many days you are planning to spend at Universal, but if you're planning one day total between Universal and IOA, it might be worthwhile to buy the one ride pass. If you are doing more than one day, you'll have more than enough time to do everything without buying a pass.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
No but the heat definitely kicks in by then. My favorite times are Oct Nov before thanksgiving and Feb March before spring break

Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutmm View Post
I'm going to Orlando on May 8th for about a week and we plan to go to Disney World and Universal Studios. I don't know if I need to buy a fast pass so I don't have to wait in the lines for a long time if its not busy around that time then I might not need to buy one.

If you a staying in a Disney hotel get your 3 fast passes now. Don't wait till you get here. Most people coming down get their fast passes for the major rides 90-120 days before their firstt day. Also if you want to eat in a sit down restaurant in the parks get your pick and time now, too. People who live here and go on a whim get the leftovers and maybe one of the ones for the majors they save for the daily fast pass machines. Usually we end up getting them for 0nes you didn't need them for before. Still it is wise to get them even on a slower day.

If you stay at Universal they have a system that you get front of the line because you are staying in their hotel. If not staying there you can buy the pass from them. Same with Sea word if you plan to go there.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Honestly though, staying on property is so expensive, you really end up spending a lot more money. You can get a nice 4 star hotel for less than $100 around I-Drive / Seaworld area through priceline express or hotwire. I got the Rosen for $60/night.

I personally like using https://www.undercovertourist.com/or...rowd-calendar/

It updates all the time, so once your trip gets closer you can use this to determine which days to do what park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando