Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times

Advertisements

For a Winter getaway. We are thinking of the Orlando area because we have a close relative on the East Coast (Lake Worth) and another of the West Coast (Tampa area). So we would be mid way.

We would also have the theme parks, which would encourage visitors . It would also be easier to rent out - even off season.

Having had a bad experience with "urban pioneering" we are shy of any neighborhoods that are "up and coming" or "transitional". Some of what I've read on this forum scares me.

However, when visiting the Orlando area - we usually stay at my dad's condo in Lake Buena Vista - we have always liked the area.
Perhaps we have only seen the "tourist areas" but what we have seen, is nice.

Since this is a secondary residence and our children are in or about to enter college, schools are not an issue.

We'd like to live in a friendly community. We are both college educated professionals and we lean left but we can get along with anyone who is not extremely right wing or constantly talking about it.

I am a Christian and a nice, welcoming, moderate to progressive Protestant church would be a plus. Any denomination or non denominational.

We like to eat out - chains are OK. Not a fan of fast food. We prefer ethnic foods and indie restaurants.

We like golf, boating, nature, history, art, fine dining, parties, working out, sports and socializing.

Our budget is tight. Kids in college etc.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,665 times
Are you looking for a home in a local residential area? Or are you looking for a vacation timeshare? These are two drastically different scenarios.. The Lake Buena Vista area as you mentioned is a heavy tourist area filled with mostly hotels and timeshare resorts, not so much residential.. The real residential areas where locals live are located in the mid to northern part of the city. If you are looking for some good local residential areas here are some recommendations by area to help start your search:

North Orlando - Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs/Longwood, Lake Mary
Northeast Orlando - Oviedo/Winter Springs
Central Orlando - Baldwin Park, College Park, Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park, Eola Heights, etc)
East Orlando - Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park
Southeast Orlando - Lake Nona
Southwest Orlando - Dr. Phillips, Windermere
South Orlando - Hunters Creek

Generally speaking, the neighborhoods I listed above in "Central Orlando" are the most urban and vibrant as they are nearest to the city core, if you enjoy social settings, festivals, art, fine dining, etc. then this would be your best bet as you will be within close proximity to all those venues. The neighborhoods to the north are generally the most "family friendly" and is where the bulk of Orlando's middle to upper-middle class lives. The neighborhoods in the South areas of Orlando will put you nearest to the tourist areas and hence within close proximity to those perks as well. It all comes down to your geographical preference, especially since schools are not a factor. Hope this helps!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,878 times
Keep in mind that in all of Orange County (which encapsulates the city of Orlando and the nearest suburbs), short-term rentals are illegal... unfortunately all of the neighborhoods MrKnight mentioned are off the table, as is Lake Buena Vista. This means that you'll have to keep your search to Osceola, Lake, and Polk counties. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of cultural offerings once you get away from the city center.

I'd look at Davenport/Championsgate and Clermont. Avoid Kissimmee near the attractions... not a good area.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
"North Orlando - Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs/Longwood"

Didn't know Lake Mary...

Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
I wasn't looking for a rental I was looking for a purchase. Also, I was not looking for a time share.

I was thinking about staying there three months out of the year. February through May. Anyplace that is safe and affordable, that is about an hour or less from Orlando - towards one or the other coasts would be fine.

Having known many people who rent out or rent their homes in central Florida, this comes as a surprise.

I'm just trying to get away from the cold for part of the year, and to spend time in a fun and friendly area with a mild climate.

Any ideas are welcome. Feel free to contact me with any information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando