Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 10,664 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband's work has been taking him to Orlando more and more often, so we are discussing making a permanent move from Pennsylvania to Orlando. I have A LOT of questions and would appreciate any advice that can be offered.

1.) What are the best schools (public or private)? How about Windemere Academy?

2.) Are there performing arts schools? (Preferably ones that start at the middle school level...)

3.) Is there somewhere where we could possibly have a larger piece of property (5+ acres), but still be close to good schools, shopping, restaurants, etc... (we aren't set on a particular area of Orlando)

4.) Is owning land in FL a lot different than owning land up north? Currently, my kids have the run of our property, as there is really nothing much to worry about. Is this possible in FL? Or are there too many snakes, bugs, etc?

5.) If anyone has done a similar move and can offer any advice (good or bad), I would love to hear it.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:52 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
1.) What are the best schools (public or private)? How about Windemere Academy? Best schools are in Seminole Co, although I'm sure the schools in Windermere are good. Any private schools are going to be good, I would suspect.

2.) Are there performing arts schools? (Preferably ones that start at the middle school level...) I'm sure there are I just dont know where, etc.

3.) Is there somewhere where we could possibly have a larger piece of property (5+ acres), but still be close to good schools, shopping, restaurants, etc... (we aren't set on a particular area of Orlando) Uhh. You'll be pretty far out if you are going to buy 5 acres, try Lake Co or rural Seminole County. In Orlando, no. And if you did, it'd be a lot of money. Its pretty much built up in almost all of FL it seems now. Builders keep going further out and out.

4.) Is owning land in FL a lot different than owning land up north? Currently, my kids have the run of our property, as there is really nothing much to worry about. Is this possible in FL? Or are there too many snakes, bugs, etc? Most new communities of homes have very small yards, unless you can get acreage. Which in that case, you'll have to go further out. In this case, I'd say yes, they can roam around and be safe (as far as strangers, etc.) But bugs, snakes are definitely out and about.

5.) If anyone has done a similar move and can offer any advice (good or bad), I would love to hear it. Just do lots of homework, visit several times before you decide, I would suggest. Typically, Windermere and places like Oviedo and Lake Mary are where ppl want to be. Or areas around downtown. But there are nice areas in other places too, just as there are bad ones. Some people love it here and some people cant wait to head for the hills.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
While I can't answer all of your questions, I'd look at Windermere and Dr. Phillips. It gets pretty rural west of Windermere/Winter Garden along Tilden Road; you might find properties with some acreage out there.

As far as performing arts schools, Dr. Phillips High School is home of the performing arts magnet program, which has programs for theatre, dance, music and film production.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:43 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Look at Sorrento in Lake County even though it may not be exactly what your looking for but this community seems very nice A Golf Community in Sorrento, FL ? RedTail Golf Club. Also check out Clermont as its really nice and might be what your looking for in good schools and family friendly.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mme10 View Post
Hello! My husband's work has been taking him to Orlando more and more often, so we are discussing making a permanent move from Pennsylvania to Orlando. I have A LOT of questions and would appreciate any advice that can be offered.

1.) What are the best schools (public or private)? How about Windemere Academy?

2.) Are there performing arts schools? (Preferably ones that start at the middle school level...)

3.) Is there somewhere where we could possibly have a larger piece of property (5+ acres), but still be close to good schools, shopping, restaurants, etc... (we aren't set on a particular area of Orlando)

4.) Is owning land in FL a lot different than owning land up north? Currently, my kids have the run of our property, as there is really nothing much to worry about. Is this possible in FL? Or are there too many snakes, bugs, etc?

5.) If anyone has done a similar move and can offer any advice (good or bad), I would love to hear it.

Thanks so much!
Sanford in Seminole County has the highest rated schools overall followed by Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs and a few random areas of Orange County like Dr Phillips, Windermere and Winter Park.

Millennium Middle School in Sanford is A+ rated academically and a performing arts school.

In terms of areas convenient to the better schools check out the far west side of Sanford (west of I-4) along the SR46 corridor which would offer a number of good housing/land options.

Rural areas of Seminole County will have a very high possibility of bears so having a fenced yard (8 ft versus 6 ft) along with bear-proof trash receptacles away from the house and fenced area would be key. Bears tend to forage at night, so you need to be extra cautious with after dark/early morning activities outside, and never get in between Mom and the cubs on purpose or inadvertently. Backing away slowly to safety/shelter without making noise (like screaming or yelling) is the best method. Attacks on humans are rare but a bit more common with those who let their dogs run free or those who refrain from using the right trash cans or placing it near the house (or within a fenced area), and then go tripping out into the middle of a bear buffet. One needs to keep an eye out for them too during those dawn/overnight/dusk hours and having that 8 ft tall fenced area minus trash receptacles nearby keeps the pets a good bit safer too. Smaller pets (dogs and cats) are at risk of coyote and birds of prey attacks and should also not be left outside unattended, and if you care at all would eliminate the term "outdoor cat" from your vocabulary. Snakes are out there but one rarely hears of encounters going wrong with the poisonous variety. In terms of bugs, that's anywhere in Florida. Good quality window screens and screened porches/patios are key for mosquito control indoors. Pets (both dogs and cats) should be treated twice a year with Heartworm preventative (from Mosquitoes) like Frontline or similar.

This is a great place to live with a family and living a more rural lifestyle can be rewarding if one uses common sense and preventative measures as Florida's interior areas are surprisingly "wild", and many aren't equipped/prepared for what it entails.

Hope all of this helps!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Look at Sorrento in Lake County even though it may not be exactly what your looking for but this community seems very nice A Golf Community in Sorrento, FL ? RedTail Golf Club. Also check out Clermont as its really nice and might be what your looking for in good schools and family friendly.
I second this. Sorrento/Mt.Plymouth is a good area if you want to be close enough, yet have acreage. You'll be 10 minutes from Apopka, and some 15 minutes from I-4 and Sanford on one side, and 15 minutes from Mt. Dora on the other.
Speaking of, parts of Mt.Dora also have some decent-sized lots available. Anything along the back roads going towards Zellwood/Tangerine by Trimble Park is good.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...2d0e496840ca41

Plus, the extensions of 417 and 429 will cut right through there, making access to virtually all of Orlando a breeze.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I second this. Sorrento/Mt.Plymouth is a good area if you want to be close enough, yet have acreage. You'll be 10 minutes from Apopka, and some 15 minutes from I-4 and Sanford on one side, and 15 minutes from Mt. Dora on the other.
Speaking of, parts of Mt.Dora also have some decent-sized lots available. Anything along the back roads going towards Zellwood/Tangerine by Trimble Park is good.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr...2d0e496840ca41

Plus, the extensions of 417 and 429 will cut right through there, making access to virtually all of Orlando a breeze.
I agree, nice area but out of the realm of attending the performing arts middle school as that's in Lake County, not Seminole County. The schools in general in that area are fairly poor as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, nice area but out of the realm of attending the performing arts middle school as that's in Lake County, not Seminole County. The schools in general in that area are fairly poor as well.
Very true... :/

That said, it will be very hard for OP to find a 5 acre lot in Seminole County...

Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Very true... :/

That said, it will be very hard for OP to find a 5 acre lot in Seminole County...
I agree, though they can find nice homes on larger lots that are largely not in view of neighbors and rural enough hopefully.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 10,664 times
Thanks so much for all the advice! I am going to look further into everything that was mentioned. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando