Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 AM

169 posts, read 655,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Having lived in OK, the summers are not going to bother you at all. The actual temp will be less but it is more humid than OK. You won't have the wind blowing but there are thunderstorms/rain pretty much everyday during summer. No snow or ice storms during the winter
While OKC is bigger than Orlando in population, the traffic and crime is going to be similiar.

Go for a visit, check it out. No one on this forum can tell you if Orlando is right for you
The Summers aren't going to bother you at all. I can't believe I'm reading, remember Keeper or Moderator doesn't mean credibility. That might be the most laughable quote about Orlando I've ever read. The summers here are downright OBNOXIOUS, with most days hitting 95 with oppressive humidity. In addition, it never ever ever cools off for single second. Stick to your plan of moving near the beach!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM

37 posts, read 242,695 times
Hmm.. It seems as of right now there aren't many apartments avaliable in New Smyrna Beach. There are a few available it says in Port Orange.. Is that a very nice and safe town? Yeah I plan on visiting these places before I get an apartment there.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
To say that it is a few people that despise Orlando is a gross mischaracterization. I have never remotely lived in an area where the majority of people despise where they live (RIGHTFULLY) and want to get out in the worst way, but are stuck because of job, family or circumstance. Feel free to click on my profile and view my past posts which examine every facet of Orlando life backed up with empirical data that shows that this place is a living "HELL ON EARTH."

I really don`t care about your data I`m not going to move out of here because you or some others say it sucks.

I am fine here you are not so be it. People who hate someplace are going to gravitate Toward others who think the same. Most people I talk with like Florida just fine.

I agree Orlando is not a hip city when comparing to Boston, LA, NYC and some of the other large cities But where I came from IMO is even worse then Orlando and boring as hell so for me Orlando is good, now if I grew up in NYC I might feel differently But I'm not sure I could live in a huge city I`m not used to that.

For the OP come down check it out if you don`t like it then atleast you gave it a try.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
To say that it is a few people that despise Orlando is a gross mischaracterization. I have never remotely lived in an area where the majority of people despise where they live (RIGHTFULLY) and want to get out in the worst way, but are stuck because of job, family or circumstance. Feel free to click on my profile and view my past posts which examine every facet of Orlando life backed up with empirical data that shows that this place is a living "HELL ON EARTH."
I'm just curious, have ever spent much time in the Oklahoma area to be able to compare the weather?

AND isn't it just posible that you surround yourself with people who are similarly negative, depressed people, people that bolster your own negative attitude? Isn't it posible that you were FORCED to move here after a turbelent divorce and thats what your hatred for Orlando is all about?

I have lived here since 2001, I choose to move here from Texas where the summer is so horrible words fail to describe. I don't know ONE person who feels so negatively about living here as you do. I live in a nice neighborhood, full of families and professional people who relish their life here.

The difference between you and I:
I want people to see what really is going on, Florida isn't for everyone. There are alot of people who for whatever reason would not be happy here whether its the humidity, the hurricanes, the cross section of people who have moved here or the fact that you don't get the real 4 seasons like you get in the colder states. YOU on the other hand feel the need to be across the board negative, you want people to hate it here as much as you do in order to bolster your negative attitude. You don't seem to see that maybe your negative attitude would be in place no matter where your wife dragged your son after a turbelent divorce, forcing you to follow along.

You are in short doing yourself, your son and everyone your around, a great disservice.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
Jacoblee22 - a good rule of thumb on these boards is to check out a posters "reputation". Most people reading these posts rate what they are reading. You'll find that the negative posters don't have a very high reputation, meaning, not many people on here agree with what they are saying. Those, with high reputations, will get people rating them highly, because the reader agrees with their posts.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 PM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm just curious, have ever spent much time in the Oklahoma area to be able to compare the weather?

AND isn't it just posible that you surround yourself with people who are similarly negative, depressed people, people that bolster your own negative attitude? Isn't it posible that you were FORCED to move here after a turbelent divorce and thats what your hatred for Orlando is all about?

I have lived here since 2001, I choose to move here from Texas where the summer is so horrible words fail to describe. I don't know ONE person who feels so negatively about living here as you do. I live in a nice neighborhood, full of families and professional people who relish their life here.

The difference between you and I:
I want people to see what really is going on, Florida isn't for everyone. There are alot of people who for whatever reason would not be happy here whether its the humidity, the hurricanes, the cross section of people who have moved here or the fact that you don't get the real 4 seasons like you get in the colder states. YOU on the other hand feel the need to be across the board negative, you want people to hate it here as much as you do in order to bolster your negative attitude. You don't seem to see that maybe your negative attitude would be in place no matter where your wife dragged your son after a turbelent divorce, forcing you to follow along.

You are in short doing yourself, your son and everyone your around, a great disservice.
For the record, I have lived in seven different states and traveled to 35, my negatives about Orlando have nothing to do with my divorce. Orlando is very unique, if it weren't for disney it would be a city of about 30,000 people like it was before Disney World because it is flat and ugly with an absolutely oppressive climate. Disney came and with it, came low end service jobs which ultimately attracted an undesirable element. Intelligent planners and architects did not come here so that left city planning to dirty politicians and morons. What Orlando once offered which attracted these low end service job seekers was a relatively low cost of living. That is no longer the case as hurricanes and taxes and the zero interest housing booth have created (SEE MONEY MAGAZINE) the ninth most unaffordable city to live in in America, and all with the worst crime rates in the country and the worst crime rate in Florida. I have been very positive about most of the other places I have lived and visited, but this place truly is a cesspool. I have no idea why my "REALITY TESTING" empirical data offends those on this board where they try to generalize my posts as just wanting to be negative. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to mislead someone about a place they are considering moving. IF you have a choice move to a lower cost of living area, with less crime (and if in Florida closer to a beach. Orlando has terrible jobs, terrible roads, urban sprawl, no beaches, awful crime, lousy price gauging chain restaurants, and lousy schools. Even if you are from podunk and your mouth gapes open at the site of a submay every 4 miles, seek your subway somewhere else in an area that actual has something to offer. Orlando has all of the worst problems of big city life with none of the benefits. Anyone that thinks an Oklahoma summer is remotely near the duration of what Orlando has simply is not being honest with themselves and potentially harmful to others.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee22 View Post
I am from a small town near Mcalester Oklahoma. Oklahoma isn't as cold as alot of places, but I just hate cold weather, snow, and ice period. I have lived in Edmond Oklahoma, and have also lived in Tahlequah. What part of Oklahoma did you live in? Oklahoma isn't a horrible place to live. I love several towns in Oklahoma, I just prefer warmer weather, the beach, etc... The jobs as of late here haven't been paying very well. The best payings jobs I had when I was living in Branson..
I lived in Tulsa, inside the city with my grandmother for a while, while I went to school (Tulsa Junior College). The Green Country area has some beautiful scenery- much more beautiful than anything you can see in Florida (Florida is comparable to the monotony of the plains areas, except we have palmettos and oaks everywhere). The weather isn't too bad in Oklahoma, either. It freezes once in a while, snow doesn't hang around much. Also, Tulsa has a nice downtown area, even though it has decayed some it still hase some great architecture. It is a pity so much money has gone to the hollow suburbs. I also rode the bus alot, and the bus service was better than what we have here in Orlando.

The only thing I really didn't like about Tulsa was the reactionary leanings of alot of the population in Oklahoma- it's probably one of the most conservative states next to Utah, Mississippi, or Louisiana. Other than that, the people were friendly there, much friendlier than some parts of the US, as long as you were the "right" kind of person, I suppose.

If you like no snow, Florida is good for that. It never snows in Orlando (very, very rarely- once in a lifetime thing). Never any ice really, either- the coldest temperature is about 36-37 for the lows. Up north in Ocala it gets down into the 20's sometimes and can freeze and icing conditions for a few nights every year. We have horrible monsoons in the summer, and the humidity is high (slightly higher than Oklahoma's). We also have tornadoes, but they are much smaller than Oklahoma's. We have actually more tornadoes than any other state in the US. Last year we had several tornadoes that damaged some houses- some just north of where I live, others several miles up the road in another county. We also get hail sometimes, but not quite as bad as OK.

Most people that live in Orlando rarely go to the beach. I haven't actually gone to the beach in a decade. The ocean is just full of surfers and bull sharks, anyways (not quite but I don't see the appeal of it myself- it can be pretty to look at but I don't surf, swim in it, soak up skin cancer rays or do any of that sort of thing). I've gone to Daytona Beach but that was for other reasons than to stand on the seashore. If you want the beach, live on the coast. Otherwise it's a bit of a drive out there, especially with gas prices being high. Some day I may ride out to Titusville or Daytona just for a road trip (on a motorcycle), but most people don't go out that way unless they have the money for the gas.

Truthfully jobs aren't good anywhere in the US but you may be shocked by Florida. The job market is probably a little better than where you are in Oklahoma but the cost of living is insane. Stuff that would cost me $1 in Tulsa cost me about 2 dollars here. Housing is through the roof. You can rent a nice economy apartment in a nice part of town in Tulsa for about 400-450 a month. I bought a new pair of glasses in Tulsa last time I visited for half of what they would cost in Orlando, and they made them the same day too (I wear prisms, alot of the crapholes around here take two weeks to make my "special" glasses... ridiculous). In Orlando a nice apartment in a nice area will cost you about 800-900 a month. Jobs pay only a little more. Maybe a dollar or two at most.

Oh, and for whoever was talking about summers in Florida... Oklahoma summers aren't alot better, with the continental subtropical weather . It routinely gets over 100 in the height of summer. With the heat index, the temperature is about the same- some parts of Oklahoma are rather humid, it's not a desert like in the movies. The only difference is maybe it cools off a little more at night. I still remember my grandma used to turn off the air conditioner in the summer at night and the room would be upper 70's or low 80's. No blanket for sleeping or you'ld broil. The summers in Oklahoma are a little shorter and they actually have a fall season, though, and a spring . Florida has a very long hot, summer season that starts in May and lasts until October, and sometimes heat rears its head later in the year in December (83 degrees on Christmas day isn't too rare).

Last edited by Magnulus; 01-19-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Moderator cut: orphaned post

ACtually I live about halfway in between but I spend a great deal of time in Orlando, not Daytona.

The other thing I bring to the table is a background in psychology. I recognice a person with issues when I see them.

Mag, I live in Volusia about 45 minutes from the beach and I often go to the beach. I have yet to be bothered by sharks or surfers, it depends on where you go clearly. I prefer the beach at Ponce Inlet next to the jetty. But you have to understand the ocean is my passion, one of the reasons I would never want to leave here. Maybe the beach isn't such a draw for some people.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Just to set the record straight, I didn't say anything about duration of summer.

I lived in OKC and I lived in FL so I can speak of what summers are like in both places. I didn't just travel through OK. I lived there. I have lived and traveled in many states and cities also, I have even lived in Central America, so what?

You don't have to agree but if you lived in OK, post the difference between the 2 cities from your prospective.

As a poster we all have a right to express our opinions, I don't expect the OP to take my opinion any differently than anyone elses on this forum just because I am a moderator.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2008 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 PM

61 posts, read 263,504 times
Quote:
For the record, I have lived in seven different states and traveled to 35, my negatives about Orlando have nothing to do with my divorce. Orlando is very unique, if it weren't for disney it would be a city of about 30,000 people like it was before Disney World because it is flat and ugly with an absolutely oppressive climate. Disney came and with it, came low end service jobs which ultimately attracted an undesirable element. Intelligent planners and architects did not come here so that left city planning to dirty politicians and morons. What Orlando once offered which attracted these low end service job seekers was a relatively low cost of living. That is no longer the case as hurricanes and taxes and the zero interest housing booth have created (SEE MONEY MAGAZINE) the ninth most unaffordable city to live in in America, and all with the worst crime rates in the country and the worst crime rate in Florida. I have been very positive about most of the other places I have lived and visited, but this place truly is a cesspool. I have no idea why my "REALITY TESTING" empirical data offends those on this board where they try to generalize my posts as just wanting to be negative. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to mislead someone about a place they are considering moving. IF you have a choice move to a lower cost of living area, with less crime (and if in Florida closer to a beach. Orlando has terrible jobs, terrible roads, urban sprawl, no beaches, awful crime, lousy price gauging chain restaurants, and lousy schools. Even if you are from podunk and your mouth gapes open at the site of a submay every 4 miles, seek your subway somewhere else in an area that actual has something to offer. Orlando has all of the worst problems of big city life with none of the benefits. Anyone that thinks an Oklahoma summer is remotely near the duration of what Orlando has simply is not being honest with themselves and potentially harmful to others.
Hey King, where do you live in Orlando (generally speaking...obviously I'm not asking for your address)? Maybe that will provide a little context for your discontent.

I mean, I am pretty open-minded and I can see the real downsides here, but the things you say don't seem to fit with my experiences. I mean, most of the crime is west of I4 or around Orange Blossom trail. Just look at the murder map: for all the talk of Orlando as a crime-filled cesspool there were NONE in downtown Orlando all last year. They were all in pretty much areas that I never go, or, in a few cases, they were private domestic issues. Maybe you hang out in those areas?

So like, the thing I don't get, is you seem to LITERALLY be in pain because of STATISTICS. I mean, isn't what you actually experience kind of more important? That's why I'm curious where you live that is such a cess pool.

I know that some places in Orlando are really boring and ugly. I mean that's for sure. But the idea that it's absolute hell, especially when you don't have to go to such places anyway, I just don't see it. Help me out.

ores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando