Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 78,606 times

Advertisements

Hello all :^) My husband and I are getting ready to move to Florida from Central NY. I am really excited, however, I am terrified of the thought of me or my kids getting bit by a black widow spider. I am 32 years old and have lived here all my life. I have only been bitten by 1 spider ever(even though we have TONS of spiders here...lol) I am wondering, what are the odds of getting bit by a black widow? Do they normally stay outside and/or away from humans? I have visions of my children getting bit in there sleep, while laying on the floor watching tv, while getting dressed, or sitting on the couch ect... Is this a valid fear or am I being ridiculous? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so very much! This fear is killing my excitment of a very loooooong awaited move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Never saw one in FL.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1225 View Post
Hello all :^) My husband and I are getting ready to move to Florida from Central NY. I am really excited, however, I am terrified of the thought of me or my kids getting bit by a black widow spider. I am 32 years old and have lived here all my life. I have only been bitten by 1 spider ever(even though we have TONS of spiders here...lol) I am wondering, what are the odds of getting bit by a black widow? Do they normally stay outside and/or away from humans? I have visions of my children getting bit in there sleep, while laying on the floor watching tv, while getting dressed, or sitting on the couch ect... Is this a valid fear or am I being ridiculous? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so very much! This fear is killing my excitment of a very loooooong awaited move

There are many other creatures, insects, reptiles and so forth in FL that you need to be aware of as well. What part of FL are you moving to?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
I've seen a few in Florida, all in my parents' garage. Keep your property free of piles of junk and other hiding places, and you will be fine. Also, watch out in attics and when putting on shoes that have been sitting in the closet for a long time.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 78,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There are many other creatures, insects, reptiles and so forth in FL that you need to be aware of as well. What part of FL are you moving to?
We are really leaning towards Oviedo. Clermont, Winter Springs and a few others in the surrounding area are also possibilities.

We have four children ages 13, 12, 5 and 3 so great schools and safety are a must. I just need to know that the odds of getting bitten by a black widow are REALLY low. I have this image of them being a constant threat.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,375 times
The range of the black widow spider extends northwards into southern Canada, I doubt they are more common in Florida than they are in New York. The states with the highest concentration are actually the mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland).

-Harry

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

63 posts, read 165,513 times
I have never seen one in Florida, and I've lived here since 1964 but they are around. Only time I saw one was at my mother in laws back yard in South Carolina a year or so back. Just don't stick your hand into wood or leaf piles, or loose junk on the garage floor.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernbar View Post
I have never seen one in Florida, and I've lived here since 1964 but they are around. Only time I saw one was at my mother in laws back yard in South Carolina a year or so back. Just don't stick your hand into wood or leaf piles, or loose junk on the garage floor.

Not sure why but the neighborhood we moved into last year seems to have more than the norm. Our neighbor warned us to always look under any outdoor chairs, tables, etc for them before you pick them up to move them. First time they took the panel off the outside air unit to check it out, they found a black widow, and the first time I went to the mail box to get mail there was one in the box. The "bug man" told us his spray won't kill them because they walk above the surface which is sprayed-guess I sprayed so much bug spray in the mail box I drowned the one in there.
Actually I am more worried about the brown recluse which people do get bit by more often. They look so small and inocscent to cause the damage they do if you get bit.

With boys especially you have to teach them to be a little more cautious about the snakes and other little creatures down here. You really have to know which snakes etc. are OK to pick up. I know up North my brothers were always carrying garter snakes in their pockets, but down here that little thin snake might just be a pygmy rattler. You learn to live with it all. You know which spiders are the ones you want to have around and ones you squish. You want the little lizards in your yard and even some of the snakes are god to have around to keep mice and rats population down.
Don't worry....you probably won't see many critters at all in the subdivisions.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM

207 posts, read 1,034,270 times
We live in a new(er) master planned community in Orlando and back to a big conservation area. I've noticed black widows quite a bit, but we got a pest control service and they have since vanished. We've also had a few small scorpions get in the house when it's super hot outside, but again the pest control people took care of it. So my advice if you are afraid of the risks is to get pest control service from day 1. Black widows won't kill a human unless it's a baby and you delay getting to the hospital. So really the risk of anything bad happening, i.e., death, is really low from pests. You are much more at risk if you let your children swim in the lakes around here, not because of alligators, but because of brain-eating amoebas (seriously). It all boils down to common sense. Personally, I am more afraid of my child being run over by a car because someone is texting on their cell phone while they drive than I am of black widows or amoebas.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
We live in a new(er) master planned community in Orlando and back to a big conservation area. I've noticed black widows quite a bit, but we got a pest control service and they have since vanished. We've also had a few small scorpions get in the house when it's super hot outside, but again the pest control people took care of it. So my advice if you are afraid of the risks is to get pest control service from day 1.
^^^ 100% agree. I also live in a home that backs up to a conservation area and have mature hedges/shrubs around the house and yard. Since beginning service (Terminix) a year ago I haven't seen spiders or roaches inside the house or around the exterior perimeter. I only have them treat the outside as I have pets and didn't want any chance of an issue with spraying inside. If you're fairly vigilant about keeping the house neat (non-hoarder like) and frequently vacuum, it will help considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando