Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Being that school is back in session, I decided not to take my regular route through Markham Woods to get to work this morning, as I'd be passing 3 or 4 schools and get severely delayed by buses. I opted for I4 instead.
I4 was an absolute parking lot from Lake Mary to 434. WHY???
There were no major accidents, all lanes were open, and there are pretty much no exits within that stretch aside from the rest area. What in the world is the cause of a traffic jam like that in this area? I can understand from Maitland into downtown up to Conroy, but this? It's a straight, wide expressway with 1 exit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Well, I've told everyone on here never to take I4. And I was downed by the people on here, instead of listening to what I said.

There is no reason to take I4, you can take local roads. In Orlando you can take 17-92 or John Young Parkway.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, I've told everyone on here never to take I4. And I was downed by the people on here, instead of listening to what I said.

There is no reason to take I4, you can take local roads. In Orlando you can take 17-92 or John Young Parkway.
In what ways will 17-92 or John young help my commute? I mentioned that my usual route is through Markham Woods -- nowhere near 17-92 and/or John Young. My only alternative would be Lake Mary Blvd to Lake Emma up into Longwood, which would be just as bad if not worse than my usual route on school days.

I take it you don't drive? If you did, you wouldn't suggest the roads you mentioned.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Being that school is back in session, I decided not to take my regular route through Markham Woods to get to work this morning, as I'd be passing 3 or 4 schools and get severely delayed by buses. I opted for I4 instead.
There were no major accidents, all lanes were open, and there are pretty much no exits within that stretch aside from the rest area. What in the world is the cause of a traffic jam like that in this area? I can understand from Maitland into downtown up to Conroy, but this? It's a straight, wide expressway with 1 exit!
What time were you on I4? I took I4 from Altamonte to downtown at about 7 a.m. and it was moving smoothly.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Quote:
In what ways will 17-92 or John young help my commute? I mentioned that my usual route is through Markham Woods -- nowhere near 17-92 and/or John Young. My only alternative would be Lake Mary Blvd to Lake Emma up into Longwood, which would be just as bad if not worse than my usual route on school days.

I take it you don't drive? If you did, you wouldn't suggest the roads you mentioned.
You missed my point.

You took I4 instead of local roads today. U made a bad choice. But now u want to complain and blame I4 for being what it is, instead of blaming yourself.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
You missed my point.

You took I4 instead of local roads today. U made a bad choice. But now u want to complain and blame I4 for being what it is, instead of blaming yourself.
The local road I normally take -- Markham Woods Rd. -- has 3 or 4 schools on it, and multiple bus stops for kids. Same with Lake Emma Rd. So, blame myself for what? Taking an alternate route? I didn't make "a bad choice." I made an observation after having selected a route to bypass major delays. I still saved time. I just couldn't understand why there was such a bottleneck.
Again, what local roads should I have taken as an alternative?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
What time were you on I4? I took I4 from Altamonte to downtown at about 7 a.m. and it was moving smoothly.
I hit I4 at around 8:30 from SR-46 in Sanford.

Traffic started flowing smoothly right before my exit on 434, which perplexed me even more. I could've understood if the bottleneck continued beyond, but it didn't.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 08-24-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
That stretch of I-4 is years behind in terms of widening/number of lanes and always has been. It wasn't until maybe 10-12 years ago that it was widened to a third lane east of SR434 and should probably have gone straight to 4 lanes. Having increased the number of on-ramps/off-ramps in the Lake Mary/Sanford area and adding access to/from the north end of the 417 heightened traffic volume (as well as population growth), along with more lane-changing which slows things down.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Moved 4 miles from JOB---weeeee!! the first day back of school is the worse sorry you had a bad commute-

Old 08-24-2015, 02:28 PM

48 posts, read 60,305 times
Quote:
I'm still learning the ropes down here but I've heard some horror stories about I4, sorry you had to go through that man. Possible a lot of new residents were driving their kids to school and just slowing things down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando