Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
This isnt an "every person moves here for this" its meant to be generic.

But part of it is very true. Ppl come here because of the weather / no snow, all their neighbors did it so its the thing to do, or they think they're gonna wake up and walk on the beach everyday. Sure, there are job transfers that occur, and people are born here, I understand that.
Or to be around "their people" from US territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your thinking is very narrow minded.

Actually, while I normally disagree with his/her posts, there's some truth to this...
I do miss my hometown A LOT, and would definitely move back were it not for the weather, among a few other minor things.

That said, I've made my bed here in Orlando, and plan to raise my family into adulthood right here. I love it, there's lots to do, and very little to complain about.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Actually, while I normally disagree with his/her posts, there's some truth to this...
I do miss my hometown A LOT, and would definitely move back were it not for the weather, among a few other minor things.

That said, I've made my bed here in Orlando, and plan to raise my family into adulthood right here. I love it, there's lots to do, and very little to complain about.
For me it was taxes, crime, deterioration of infrastructure, density of population, costs for utilities, car insurance, homeless people, traffic, fall/winter.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
This isnt an "every person moves here for this" its meant to be generic.

But part of it is very true. Ppl come here because of the weather / no snow, all their neighbors did it so its the thing to do, or they think they're gonna wake up and walk on the beach everyday. Sure, there are job transfers that occur, and people are born here, I understand that.
Have you considered that most people who come here (for whatever reason) have marketable skills and talents and actually come to enjoy the offerings here? For people moving to Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville, Tallahassee, arent thinking about "the beach everyday."

Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
For me it was taxes, crime, deterioration of infrastructure, density of population, costs for utilities, car insurance, homeless people, traffic, fall/winter.
Yes... while I can appreciate the 11,701/sq mi density of my hometown, it being spread over 166 sq mi is enough to give you a headache.It literally made my wife nauseous the first time I took her up there, for the mere fact that it took so long to get away from it.

The traffic was pretty horrid too... I remember in my teens, we lived in a suburb directly across the river from the city core. My mom and sis both worked downtown, which was maybe 10 or 15 miles away. They would have to leave home at 4PM to make it to work in time for 6PM... The bridges literally became parking lots. At least, here, even during rush hour, traffic moves.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Is that in MTL? But isn't the subway service pretty decent there in general or not great for the burbs? I can't disagree about missing home also, now that I think about it. There is something undefinably more transient about Orlando, though I think it can be looked at as a positive or a negative, because something I missed most about home (aside from nature/history) was the provincial feel it had.

Also, I did critical mass last night, and I have to say, one thing I noticed over the past few months is how good NoDo? Or the strip of Orange Ave just to the south and also to the north of Colonial Drive, looked, even compared to a few months ago. Very neat.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:41 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Have you considered that most people who come here (for whatever reason) have marketable skills and talents and actually come to enjoy the offerings here? For people moving to Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville, Tallahassee, arent thinking about "the beach everyday."
I agree but it also helps to keep in mind that people outside of Florida really don't think about that stuff. For example, growing up as a Floridian I can't tell you how many times I've been questioned about things like swamps, alligators, the beach, snakes, bugs, hurricanes, and the heat because there's an assumption that most (if not all) of Florida offers the same experience. What I learned after leaving Florida (like so many posters have stated) is that people looking to move to Florida have that "vacation" state of mind and don't realize that unless you're bringing a boat-load of money or have a nice job lined up when moving down, that dream will be short-lived. What also blows my mind is how much Florida is marketed outside of Florida as a destination and not everyone takes the time to look at the big picture.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
SH, what he said.

While some do come for their talents / job skills... I'd say that is a small majority.

Most ppl come for no snow (and they wont acknowledge the heat b/c for them, at least its not snow), because its the thing to do (ie...NY'ers move to FL, Floridians move to NC, etc), they think its beaches and margaritas (they vacationed here, thought thats what life would be like) and/or they want to start their life over / are trying to escape some sort of issue / past.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
I agree but it also helps to keep in mind that people outside of Florida really don't think about that stuff. For example, growing up as a Floridian I can't tell you how many times I've been questioned about things like swamps, alligators, the beach, snakes, bugs, hurricanes, and the heat because there's an assumption that most (if not all) of Florida offers the same experience. What I learned after leaving Florida (like so many posters have stated) is that people looking to move to Florida have that "vacation" state of mind and don't realize that unless you're bringing a boat-load of money or have a nice job lined up when moving down, that dream will be short-lived. What also blows my mind is how much Florida is marketed outside of Florida as a destination and not everyone takes the time to look at the big picture.
If you arent looking at the big picture in life then you are going to be on a rough road ahead. Perhaps a lot of the 18-25 crew isnt seeing the big picture and that will doom them to a life of hard times. Anyone foolish enough to think living in FL is beaches and drinks with umbrellas served in coconut shells has no concept of the real world. That would be akin to thinking life in Texas is all about cowboy hats, boots and western wear or thinking if you move to NYC that it all will be business suits, drinking at Attaboy's is in for a major let down.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes... while I can appreciate the 11,701/sq mi density of my hometown, it being spread over 166 sq mi is enough to give you a headache.It literally made my wife nauseous the first time I took her up there, for the mere fact that it took so long to get away from it.

The traffic was pretty horrid too... I remember in my teens, we lived in a suburb directly across the river from the city core. My mom and sis both worked downtown, which was maybe 10 or 15 miles away. They would have to leave home at 4PM to make it to work in time for 6PM... The bridges literally became parking lots. At least, here, even during rush hour, traffic moves.
Its the sheer number of people. Only so many can cram into a subway car or bus during rush hours, only so many cars fit in a mile of roadway and the number of glitches that can and usually do happen on a daily basis such as equipment failures, car accidents and flat tires can make a commute a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando