Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 07:33 AM

27 posts, read 30,993 times

Advertisements

Could anyone please give us some feedback about KB Homes or Maronda Homes?? I have read some real bad complaints about Maronda after I had fallen in love with one of their model homes and was ready to buy, now I'm so scared because we would like a new home so that we don't need to worry about roof problems, etc., from older homes. We just sold our Miami property and will invest ALL we made in the same to purchase this new home, which should pay close to 50% of value and let our mortgage be real low, with a low HOA as it seems to be everywhere in the Clermont, Groveland or Minneola areas...please, if you know anything good or bad, could you comment?? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:50 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,945 times
well me and my girlfriend are not homeowners and never were, but I would be afraid to buy a new home in Florida. Too many bad stories.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:23 PM

626 posts, read 975,859 times
Gribaldo, I think KB would be fine. I don't know about Moranda. We had a new Lennar home and a new Beazer home with no problems whatsoever.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM

536 posts, read 852,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobaldo View Post
Could anyone please give us some feedback about KB Homes or Maronda Homes??
In general, both KB & Maronda have reputations as builders of production homes, aimed at the more budget conscious & first time buyers. You're certainly not going to see the same construction quality that one might expect from a premium builder like Toll Brothers.

But there's nothing wrong with that, any more than a car manufacturer who puts out affordable new product in maybe the $20K price range, compared to higher end companies producing new product for double or triple the price.

Many people would say it's not unreasonable to expect the cheaper product might have a shorter time-frame before maintenance issues arise. But the fact is, there's a product for almost all price ranges, & you have to buy what you can afford.

KB, Maronda, as well as DR Horton, have all had numerous consumer complaints over failed exterior stucco, during the last decade.

But in their defense, it has been asserted that the owners of these lower priced homes fail to adequately maintain the stucco (i.e. promptly address hairline cracks that allow moisture intrusion).

During RE downturns, distressed homeowners defer maintenance. Then, when their stucco starts to bubble & delaminate (especially on 2 story homes), they cry foul.

But is that the fault of the original stucco application, or the homeowner who is too financially stressed to seal hairline cracks as soon as they appear, or to re-paint their house every 6-7 years?

My personal home was built by a higher end builder.

But I also own a number of rental properties, including one that was built by Maronda in 2002. We're very happy with that investment home.

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 02-26-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,006 times
Kb Homes had to just pay a settlement payment to homeowners in this state so I would be cautious with them.

KB Home to settle on statewide construction defects - Orlando Sentinel

KB Home settles FL building defects claim for $23.5M | Construction Dive

Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
In general, both KB & Maronda have reputations as builders of production homes, aimed at the more budget conscious & first time buyers. You're certainly not going to see the same construction quality that one might expect from a premium builder like Toll Brothers.

But there's nothing wrong with that, any more than a car manufacturer who puts out affordable new product in maybe the $20K price range, compared to higher end companies producing new product for double or triple the price.

Many people would say it's not unreasonable to expect the cheaper product might have a shorter time-frame before maintenance issues arise. But the fact is, there's a product for almost all price ranges, & you have to buy what you can afford.

KB, Maronda, as well as DR Horton, have all had numerous consumer complaints over failed exterior stucco, during the last decade.

But in their defense, it has been asserted that the owners of these lower priced homes fail to adequately maintain the stucco (i.e. promptly address hairline cracks that allow moisture intrusion).

During RE downturns, distressed homeowners defer maintenance. Then, when their stucco starts to bubble & delaminate (especially on 2 story homes), they cry foul.

But is that the fault of the original stucco application, or the homeowner who is too financially stressed to seal hairline cracks as soon as they appear, or to re-paint their house every 6-7 years?

My personal home was built by a higher end builder.

But I also own a number of rental properties, including one that was built by Maronda in 2002. We're very happy with that investment home.
We live in an older Maronda home. No problems with our CB home. Stucco has no cracks and the home is 22 years old. It is solid built. Just bought it 6 years ago and inspector even said he would buy it it was so solid. Of course every area a builder has different construction companies doing the actual building of their homes. Even though the previous owner had not maintained the home very well it basically just needed paint and updating to a 2000+ home interior. The basics were there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando