Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 AM

27 posts, read 31,008 times

Advertisements

We have visited the area a couple of times and especially a couple of subdivisions, one called Crescent Lake Club, with very nice properties and really well kept from what we can see. Is there anyone familiar with this area specifically that could give us better information as regards how close we would be to medical help in case of emergency (Hospitals and such), veterinarians, shopping (food), some restaurants, etc.? Is this area secure (it does not have a guard gate or any such thing) but both times we have visited we were unable to see neighbors around. All properties are very well cared for, and seem very attractive to us. Our decision must be made within a month's time, as well as an offer and perhaps a suggestion as to where we could rent for a month or so in the Clermont area while certain repairs are made in the home we expect to purchase. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS, REPLIES, AND IDEAS shall be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much.
Viv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 AM

509 posts, read 516,790 times
Hey Viv, if you move there, you will live right around the corner from me. Im on Lakeshore Drive.
Hospital is about a 10 min drive from you, downtown will be about 12-15min drive, big chain restaurants are about 10min, closest vet that i can thunk of is about 15 min. Basically everything will be abouy 10-15min ish from you. (Except one gas station, which is maybe 5)
I don't believe the community is gated, but i can drive by later today to find out for you. But regardless, the area is very safe. Very little crime in this part of town :-)

---------

Just drove into the neighborhood. There is no gate/gaurd.

Just noticed a question you asked, As for renting a house, there are numerous houses that do short term rentals in the Clermont area. I'm sure you could find one with a google search. If not, there are 2 short term rental hotel/condo type places in Clermont that might work, and are reasonably priced. (although I'm not sure they allow pets, you may need to board them temporarily, You can talk to South Lake Animal League, I am confident they will be able to put you in contact with someone in the area that will babysit them for you).
One is on 50
https://www.woodspring.com/extended-...o-fl-clermont/

The other place is called Vacation Village, it is on 27
http://www.floridavacationvillage.com/index.html

Last edited by RedneckRebel; 03-21-2016 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
Hi Viv! We're in a neighborhood that is extremely close to Crescent Lake Club. This is a really great area of Clermont! These are established neighborhoods close to all of the amenities yet tucked away enough to have a real neighborhood feel rather than a transient feel. From what I have seen and heard about Crescent Lake Club, it is a very nice neighborhood. You don't need a gated community in this area of Clermont. RedneckRebel (howdy neighbor!) gave you great advice. Everything you asked for is within a short driving distance.

South Lake Hospital is 10 minutes or so away for emergencies. There are a number of vets in the area. At least one that I know of offers emergency service if your pets are patients of theirs. There is also a vet in nearby Groveland who offers 24-hour emergency care.

My first thought when you asked about a temporary place to stay was also Vacation Village. It has older cottage/beach style little houses, some alone and some small duplex style. They are located in a good location off Hwy 27. Some may still have the dark paneling and older everything, but I think many have been updated. I would ask specifically for one of the updated units if you look there. If you're looking for modern, hotel-like accommodations, this isn't the place to go. The place is popular with snowbirds, and one I knew who came down every winter said it can be difficult to get a rental in the Jan-March timeframe.

Good luck with your purchase. Hopefully we'll soon be saying, "welcome to Clermont!"

Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 PM

This blog is wonderful, or maybe it's the people from Clermont thanks, you and redneck rebel have confirmed my impression, I've driven 4 times from Miami and just miss it, it's the closest to country living with all amenities! I already put down my deposit to purchase a beautiful home in that community, should be closing by end of month so I won't be needing a short stay place. Now I need to learn about septic tanks! Can you guys tell me about the local water, do you really need filters? Name of electricity company, satellite or cable, which has more programming? In Miami we have DirectV, Hope is same unless they have the new type of cable. Also how to get water, phone service. .if someone could bother with names of these companies, and closest vet, I'll be all set!! Howdy, neighbors such nice people. ..just love it!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Congratulations on the upcoming home purchase. Since our developments are so close, there's a good chance we'll have the same utility companies. Your real estate agent should be able to verify which companies service your new home just to make certain before you apply for service.

Here are ours. SECO, a very good and reasonable co-op for electricity. Utilities, Inc. for water. We're considered county rather than city, so we have Utilities Inc. instead of city water. Personally, I like using filters for drinking water although I know many do not think they're necessary. Even a little PUR filter at the faucet will make a great difference in taste and quality. We have a land line and DSL internet through CenturyLink and have had good luck with them. You can still have DirecTV if you like it. We had it once upon a time but ended up switching to DishTV. BrightHouse is the local cable company if you're interested. BrightHouse also has high-speed internet.

We have a very good vet, but she doesn't offer emergency care outside of regular working hours and is a little on the expensive side. Since there are a good number of vets in the area, it might be best for you to google them and see which one suits you best.

Good luck, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

One thing I forgot to mention. Regarding the septic tank, make sure to find out when it was last pumped. We have ours pumped every 4 - 5 years just to be safe. Having an overflowing tank can be very costly and just nasty. It only costs approximately $200 or so to have it pumped. Also be sure to find out where specifically the tank is located.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Great información, thank you! Last time we visited, we did go to a vet's to check services and prices, also emergency services because in my whole life and all my pets, I never had one that got sick or injured during regular office hours my husband contacted that company for the fast speed Internet, which is very important to us. Also have appts. For the electric co-op (transfer of service) and Directv. So many things! We got an invoice from current owner/seller re. Septic tank, there was some expensive line replacement or extension that ran them a couple thousand. So it ought to be in good order, I've been meaning to call that company to find out when was last pumped because bill says it wasn't at that time, assuming it wasn't necessary and that was 2015. The only doubt I have still is with the water. My nephew who lived in Groveland, mentioned there was a serious water quality problem and people had to spend thousands in water filtering/softening equipment, he also mentioned about some project that costed millions and was expected to increase taxes quite a lot, but I can't remember if that was in Groveland or Clermont. I'll keep in touch once we finally get out of Miami, hopefully by month's end. We hope to be in Clermont by first week of May. God bless, and our appreciation for all your assistance Vivian

Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobaldo View Post
Great información, thank you! Last time we visited, we did go to a vet's to check services and prices, also emergency services because in my whole life and all my pets, I never had one that got sick or injured during regular office hours my husband contacted that company for the fast speed Internet, which is very important to us. Also have appts. For the electric co-op (transfer of service) and Directv. So many things! We got an invoice from current owner/seller re. Septic tank, there was some expensive line replacement or extension that ran them a couple thousand. So it ought to be in good order, I've been meaning to call that company to find out when was last pumped because bill says it wasn't at that time, assuming it wasn't necessary and that was 2015. The only doubt I have still is with the water. My nephew who lived in Groveland, mentioned there was a serious water quality problem and people had to spend thousands in water filtering/softening equipment, he also mentioned about some project that costed millions and was expected to increase taxes quite a lot, but I can't remember if that was in Groveland or Clermont. I'll keep in touch once we finally get out of Miami, hopefully by month's end. We hope to be in Clermont by first week of May. God bless, and our appreciation for all your assistance Vivian
Not in Clermont here, but I saw your comments about the septic system and just wanted to pass along some tips-we're septic tank veterans here.

We also moved from Miami after having lived there for a little over 36 yrs. When we sold our house in Miami the house inspections ( I would never buy any house without those, even new houses) included a pump out and inspection of the septic tank by a septic tank company. We had a minor issue which we agreed to take care of so the septic tank would pass inspection, and were eternally grateful it was minor, since the house was over the 50 yrs old and that was the origional tank.

In any case , maybe you are beyond writing up the contract for buying your new house but IMO a septic tank inspection should be a part of inspections done on any house under contract ( when the house has one, of course, but that should also be disclosed to a buyer). Even if the house and septic system is only a couple years old. This is for assurance that all is a "go" with the system (pardon the pun ), but it also gives the buyer information about the system that he may well need later on. The location of the tank, of course, but the buyer should know the type of system he has there, as the maintenance varies depending on the type of system.

You may have an aerobic system, which essentially is like a mini-sewage treatment plant, which has more moving parts, pumps, etc, and requires more inspections and maintenance than the traditional septic tank. And you must have those inspections to be in compliance with state and local laws, and do that maintenance for continued successful operation of such a system. Aerobic systems are used on small lots where there is not enough room for a leach field, used in a traditional septic system.

Our house in Miami had an old type standard septic tank. Basically it consisted of a single tank, a solids deflector-a filter type
device that (as I understand it), kept solids out of the drain field, and the drain field. Basically the maintenance consisted of pumping out the tank every 3-5 yrs and that was it. The guys would inspection the tank and drain field when they pumped it, but we had no real problems with that system in the 27 yrs we lived in that house.

So fast forward to the system in our current house in Punta Gorda. The house was built in 2008 so the septic tank is about 8 yrs old. It is also an "anaerobic tank" like the one we had in Miami, but it seems that "new and improved" also means more complicated. The tank consists of two chambers, one for handling the solids and the second to handle the liquid portion before it goes out to the drain field. There is a solids filter between the two chambers that needs to be pulled out and cleaned approximately once a yr- in our experience the toilet nearest the tank starts not flushing well, and backs up when that filter is logged. And it seems that pumping out the tank every three yrs without fail is also needed to keep things flowing. Our septic guys showed us how to clean the filter, it's messy but you wear gloves and hose it off, put it back and its done. They also told us that the design of this type septic tank protects the drain field from solids, a good thing because those solids in a drain field will wreck it, and repairing or replacing drainfield is very expensive.

If I were betting, I'd say if your new house was built within the last 10-15 yrs, the septic tank may be similar to the one at our current house, unless for some reason it is an aerobic system.

But it'd be a good thing as the owner of a house with a septic system, to find out as much as possible about your system, just so you know and nothing sneaks up on you later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero...eatment_system

Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 PM

Vivian, I don't know about current problems with Groveland water but remember a big problem back in the late 1990's. Back in 1998, Green Valley Country Club residents were getting outrageous bills. Here's a link to that problem: Groveland Subdivisions Are Weary Of Water Torture - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

I'm not sure if this is to what your nephew is referring. I don't know if or how the problem was resolved but have not heard any more about it since then. Also, over the last few years, a California company bulldozed in and set up a water bottling plant. Kinda silly since we don't have unlimited water resources in Florida. There was a huge public outcry, but of course, the company won. I don't have Groveland water, but I'm still growling about that one.

The good news is that out here we have Utilities Inc. The only problem we have had with their water is they have one chemical that is a little over the limit. They send updates with the bills and say we don't need to filter or boil water. I filter anyway for taste and safety.

Travelassie, we have the older type of septic system, and I must say I'm glad not to have to clean the filter you write about! :-D You're right, it can cost tons if you need to repair your drain field. We have a family member who had that problem when a large tree's roots damaged the drain field. With regular pumping, we have had 18 years free of any problems with the septic.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM

You guys have been great! We moved in our new home almost two weeks ago. We love the house but the work has been incredible and most done by my husband as I'm disabled and can't do lifting plus my right arm doesn't work as they had to remove the rotator cuff, so I literally have no muscle for the job. We are having the so called "new carpet" removed and replaced by tile. Frankly I expected it to come out cheaper, for about the main rooms and kitchen floor which was tile I thought it would be around $6,000, came out at $9,000 and it was ceramic tile, not even those fancy ones. Oh well, it does look beautiful. We still have boxes in the garage and the house is a mess, moving the furniture around by the tile-setters, so we must be calm and take our time. All plans so far have worked out beautifully and we're proud to be the "new neighbors" in this community whose name I keep forgetting but I know I mentioned before. Everything seems to be about 10 to 15 mts. Away, even had my first visit with a local doctor so wish me luck with the rest. I want to thank those of you who shared so much local information or experiencs, you've been an incalculable help! Let's keep in touch? You may (those of you who replied to my posts) email me at vrobaldo@hotmail.com. Maybe I'll see some of you at Publix some day Meanwhile, I'll ask you all some questions once in a while. It's difficult after 40 yrs. In Miami, to get used to a new city. Frankly not even I thought I would have the courage to do it, but here we are! Thanks again and all my best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando