Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:19 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Okay, so it's no secret to regular posters that I love Orlando, and that I have made a comfortable bed for me and my family here. My kids are actively involved in sports, we have come to love OCSC, and everything the area has to offer.
However, I have been hit recently with several job offers in Fort Worth, TX and CA (not sure exactly where in CA, but I know for fact it's not SF area.) The pay is roughly double what I make here in TX, and then near triple in CA.
I'd like to know for those of you with experience in those areas, would a move be worth it? Considering I'd have to move my family, my wife's business, and start new lives out there? Is the pay increase worth losing the quality of life we have here?
I'm not really leaning towards making a move, however, it IS something to keep into consideration, especially if advice given is convincing enough.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I don't have experience in either place. However, a friend of mine couldn't get out of Ft. Worth fast enough.

He's a really good programmer (credited with helping formulate a couple of languages, has a couple of patents,also good in other areas like networks,etc) and was burnt out on South Florida and decided to look elsewhere.

He took a job in Ft Worth that paid almost double and offered some sort of stake in the company. I don't remember the name of the company. It was very small or a startup.

The job was okay; he and his wife just hated Texas. Top complaint was the people.

Fortunately they hadn't sold their home here. And the Texas company ended up flopping anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:25 AM

33 posts, read 51,037 times
Congratulations! What a tough one... so my thoughts are: money isn't everything but it sure is GREAT... so double income??? that can really set up your kids well for college and you for retirement. I am not sure that triple would be that great in CA (so my opinions are based on Ft. Worth area since I don't know anything about CA). Risk losing the quality of life? Well... what do you have here that you could not reproduce there? If it is a lot of beach trips, then you might struggle, but if it is BBQ's and sports events and pool play.... then you can recreate all that. Galveston (4+ hours away) will NOT cut it compared to Florida beaches so I wouldn't look towards that. As far as remaking friends, schools, etc., I think that should be looked at as an opportunity to grow instead of a fallback of loss. Have you ever been to Ft WOrth - I haven't been in many years, but it was very nice, clean, safe, affordable --- really nothing to complain about EXCEPT-weather is pretty fierce (heat, tornados), and it is solidly good.. but that's it. SUre the running of the bulls is neat, but that still doesn't make it a destination city like Orlando is ---- if you are taking advantage of that.. if not, then you are really just talking about "normal" life here or there with different street names. SO it comes back down to money.... Most people don't save the extra, instead they grow in their expenses, so I am not sure that it should come down solely to that.... Also... why are you looking? You said you are not inclined to move... are you looking because you want a change? not a move, but a job change only? To me it sounds like you would never had thought of leaving... and just bc a company thinks it for you doesn't mean that you should be tempted by it... Good luck deciding and have fun deciding too!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Okay, so it's no secret to regular posters that I love Orlando, and that I have made a comfortable bed for me and my family here. My kids are actively involved in sports, we have come to love OCSC, and everything the area has to offer.
However, I have been hit recently with several job offers in Fort Worth, TX and CA (not sure exactly where in CA, but I know for fact it's not SF area.) The pay is roughly double what I make here in TX, and then near triple in CA.
I'd like to know for those of you with experience in those areas, would a move be worth it? Considering I'd have to move my family, my wife's business, and start new lives out there? Is the pay increase worth losing the quality of life we have here?
I'm not really leaning towards making a move, however, it IS something to keep into consideration, especially if advice given is convincing enough.

Thanks.
I would opt for either quite frankly as the lifestyle isn't going to be much different from here most likely in terms of your day-to-day and from a small business perspective both are economically further along in terms of resident disposable income than Central Florida which is still in recovery mode from the recession. Not knowing where in CA makes it difficult to recommend but would say if not the SF Bay area or immediate LA metro it should strongly be considered in my opinion.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:46 AM

515 posts, read 624,573 times
California. Can't beat it.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:53 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
I would think California as well.

Like you've said Arcenal - Mt Dora never really changes. It'll still be there if you want to come back.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:12 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Iv known someone who lived in ft worth and didn't like it there at all, course everyone is different but I know traffic was a big issue with them. Though California will be a big pay raise, your expenses would probably rise by a good amount also. I personally in your situation from what you said would stay put. Only because you are happy with where your at and everyone else seems to be happy and are rooted to the area. If your making decent money and are happy, why leave? Now, if the move can greatly improve your career and that's what your more focused on(advancing, increasing pay ect) then that's something else to factor in and maybe if that's your drive then go for it. So basically.. What is your top priority? Is it advancing in the career and earning more money... Or are you pretty content with it now and more focused on family and community..?

You ask, "is the pay increase worth loosing the quality of life we have here now?" And I say, no. That's just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I hve family in Dallas Fr Worth area and I've lived in Californi. Where in California is it because there are some really crappy areas.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:01 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I would think California as well.

Like you've said Arcenal - Mt Dora never really changes. It'll still be there if you want to come back.
Exactly.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Okay, I am a Calif native, and I also lived in Texas for almost 9 years. Even triple the income wouldn't make it worth going back to Calif for me. California was a nice place to grow up, but it has gone downhill big-time in the past decade! Calif state income taxes are outrageous, they are way over-regulated, it is super crowded, and commutes are generally a nightmare. The one good thing I can say about Calif is that you will find cheap produce since approx 80% of all fruits and vegetables are grown out there. Texas is comparable in cost of living to Florida in regard to no state income tax and food. Gas is slightly lower there, but property taxes are definitely higher. And of course, you wouldn't have any beaches to go to. If you cared to drive down to Galveston, you will find brownish sand, dirty-looking water, and the beaches covered in seaweed. But for double the salary, I would say you will probably live slightly better if you own a home, and much better if you become a renter. As for me, having lived in all three that you mentioned, I will take Florida any day. This is by far my favorite state that I've lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando