Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 AM

149 posts, read 145,555 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here been to Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island, NY and found a similar mall in/near central /east Florida? I have been to Altamont Springs and Oviedo malls....there is no comparison there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:44 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,080,993 times
I'm familiar, and have been a few times. The closest in Orlando is Mall at Millennia but's not really that close in terms of quantity and selection, especially of the smaller specialty stores. The next closest would probably be St John's Town Center in Jacksonville or Aventura Mall in Miami (largest in Florida).

Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 AM

27 posts, read 22,502 times
I agree, Millenia Mall, which has the added features of Crate and Barrel, West Elm and IKEA. I was at the Florida Mall recently and it was much better than I had remembered

Old 01-14-2017, 06:42 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,088,822 times
Altamonte and Oviedo are garbage.

Millenia Mall and Florida Mall are your better contenders, and will be the only 2 real malls in Orlando to make it to 2020. Combine them and you roughly have Roosevelt Field, with a few more upscale selections, and far cleaner looking.
They are actually only a few miles from each other. (Similar distance from the Source in Westbury and Roosevelt Field)

Aventura Mall in Aventura (North North Miami) that was mentioned makes Roosevelt Field look like a tiny strip mall.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,519,593 times
Haven't been to Roosevelt Field Mall, but from looking at pictures the Mall at Millenia looks extremely similar.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Haven't been to Roosevelt Field Mall, but from looking at pictures the Mall at Millenia looks extremely similar.
Aren't most malls pretty similar?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,170,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
Has anyone here been to Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island, NY and found a similar mall in/near central /east Florida? I have been to Altamont Springs and Oviedo malls....there is no comparison there.
Yes , many times to RF and have not found similar in Florida.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Aren't most malls pretty similar?
Not really. Yes in terms of the basic physical appearance for the most part, but it varies drastically from some that look like they're morphing into a flea market versus some that could give Rodeo Drive a run for it's money. The divide (much like the American economy) is becoming more and more pronounced if you take notice.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesessister View Post
I was at the Florida Mall recently and it was much better than I had remembered
I agree. It went through a period where a number of specialty retailers were bailing out toward the end of the recession (about the time Saks left) but it seems to be recovering some of that thanks to tourist dollars given the constant presence of South American shoppers who have seemingly discovered it.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not really. Yes in terms of the basic physical appearance for the most part, but it varies drastically from some that look like they're morphing into a flea market versus some that could give Rodeo Drive a run for it's money. The divide (much like the American economy) is becoming more and more pronounced if you take notice.
The future will likely only keep about the existence of A list malls. Those of a lower tier are all on their death spiral.

This is true in Orlando, as as it is on Long Island where the poster is inquiring about.

The only difference here is the large amount of tourist spending that allows for an 'Affluent' mall in a non-affluent area, and another similar mall to coexist so close with only slightly different demographics.

Roosevelt Field is larger than Millenia or Florida Mall, but not larger than the two combined.
There's few exclusive things to get at Roosevelt Field that you can't get at either of the other two, but the same statement is true in reverse.

Aventura is likely the closest thing to Roosevelt Field- but both Aventura and Millenia blow away Roosevelt Field in sales per sq. footage which is that important thing to SIMON which manages all four mall mentioned here.

In the grand scheme of american shopping, all 4 are A list American Malls managed by the Simon Group. There's really not that much difference between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando