Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 AM

107 posts, read 137,734 times

Advertisements

Residents, what's your opinion on this? I was talking about this with a friend from Tampa. She says pool homes become more of a "necessity" with inland homes. She says she wouldn't live in central FL without one.

What're your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
They are definitely more of a nice thing down here vs up north where you can't use it nearly as much during the year

Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 AM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
Residents, what's your opinion on this? I was talking about this with a friend from Tampa. She says pool homes become more of a "necessity" with inland homes. She says she wouldn't live in central FL without one.

What're your thoughts?
Whether you own the pool or not, I think the bigger issue is being WALKING distance from a swimmable body of water. If you can find a home in an association (that you can accept) that gives you walking access to a shared pool, that might be better than the upkeep of a pool right outside of a sliding door.

In addition, you need to define "inland". When it comes to "swimmable water access" in the heat of Florida, I think inland means not easy walking access to the Gulf or the Atlantic....

Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
It depends on your situation. Use it a lot? Willing to pay $ for upkeep and maintenance? Water bill for refilling?

When my daughter lived with me it was worth the effort and $ for upkeep because she and her friends used it a lot. But on my own I barely get enough usage out of it to offset the cost.

Even with her here it would have made more sense to live in an association with a community pool.

So I disagree with your friend. But I agree that inland Fl is hot and buggy. I think the gulf coast has better breezes. Atlantic too

Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Most communities have a pool, but if it doesn't a pool is nice, but honestly I think most people don't use theirs. I mean, we all have a/c so someone saying a pool is a must in Florida is like someone saying a jacuzzi is a must in New York.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Most communities have a pool, but if it doesn't a pool is nice, but honestly I think most people don't use theirs. I mean, we all have a/c so someone saying a pool is a must in Florida is like someone saying a jacuzzi is a must in New York.
Kids use it a ton, especially with a summer like this. less likely when you're older w/o kids

Old 07-13-2016, 11:51 AM

182 posts, read 239,636 times
How much work is it to own a pool-- what is avg cost for pool company service? If a pool doesn't have a screen --is that a big no no--eaten alive by bugs at night? Or is it better to not have the screening?

Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
How much work is it to own a pool-- what is avg cost for pool company service? If a pool doesn't have a screen --is that a big no no--eaten alive by bugs at night? Or is it better to not have the screening?
screen helps keep it cleaner imo. I've seen anywhere from $65-150/month depending on where in FL

Old 07-13-2016, 04:47 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Screens help a lot, but I've seen people without them too. Pool cleaning service is generally $90 month for weekly visits. Biggest expenses are electric and water.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times
People seem to either require a pool or run like hell from one. The runners aren't pool people and don't want to work or pay for something they don't enjoy, which makes total sense.

Personally, I wouldn't live without one if I could help it. I have a screen, so there is nothing to clean, really, except once a year when the flying ants descend. I do my own testing and adding of chemicals, but I have an automatic chlorinator, so it's pretty easy. Mine stays cold in the summer. It's more expensive, but who wants a hot pool???

Occasionally, I need to call for service, but it's rare.

I'm sure my electric bill would be lower if I didn't have the pool.

The only time you have to add water is during the winter if it doesn't rain. I don't add much, honestly. I only added once this past winter. During the spring/summer/fall, it's dumping water that has to be done.

I love having it for exercise and for relaxing outside on hot days. It's just so ungodly hot out there. If I didn't have a pool, I'd have to hibernate all summer. With the pool, I'm outside and cool 365 days a year. The extra work and expense are so worth it to me.

I love my pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando