Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,207 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your time, and any guidance you may be able to provide! I know some variations of this question have been asked many, many times before, but I wanted to provide some more details to clarify what we are looking for, and to learn if it exists in some capacity in the Orlando area. We are really, really unfamiliar with Florida.

Our reference points are the two cities that we have lived in: Louisville, Kentucky and Indianapolis, Indiana. We have been lucky enough to find neighborhoods in both cities that we have really enjoyed. Perhaps there is someone who is familiar with the neighborhoods of Louisville and/or Indy, as well as the neighborhoods of Orlando, and would be able to provide suggestions of comparable Orlando neighborhoods?

We lived in Germantown in Louisville, but also liked the Original Highlands, East Market area, Frankfort Ave area, and Schnitzelburg. We live in historic Irvington in Indianapolis now, but also like Broad Ripple and South Broad Ripple, the Old Northside, and much of the newer development happening downtown and near Mass Ave.

We are a family of two adults, and two children under 3; one parent works out of the home, and one of us stays home with the kiddos. We love having easy walkable access to playgrounds, playdate groups, parks, trails, libraries, coffee shops, restaurants, and independent businesses, and an affordable grocery store. We would prefer a racially and socioeconomically diverse neighborhood. We need it to be affordable-- and because we have the Midwest as a reference point, that might be a hard ask! We would be looking for a 1+ bathroom, 2+ bedroom, but can tolerate small square footage in exchange for walkability and neighborhood amenities. I am not a big fan of apartment complex buildings aesthetically for myself, and would really prefer to live in a house/part of a house/etc, although I guess would be open to a more modern loft if it meant the dream neighborhood.

Any thoughts? Any guidance to help us in our search?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Winter Park would be perfect except it is spendy for Orlando standards, check to see of the prices work out for you. The schools are also great too.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,875,876 times
Depending on your budget, there's Baldwin Park (fairly pricy to extremely pricy) or the adjoining Audubon Park, which is an older neighborhood with modest houses. Good independent stores, good walking, parks, good schools. No library within walking distance, but it's not a far drive.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,369 times
It might be too pricy, but I would check out Lake Eola Heights and Thornton Park. Unfortunately being in a sunbelt city you'll still be car dependent, but both of these areas will be within walking distance to Lake Eola Park which has a playground, a weekly farmer's market and hosts various festivals throughout the year. The main Orlando library is close by too (as well as the rest of the central business district). Thornton Park has a tiny town center with some local businesses and restaurants. There's an art and wine walk the 2nd Thursday of each month there, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,084,307 times
What you are describing really isn't Orlando at all.

The neighborhoods mentioned are appropriate, but not incredibly family (children) friendly.

Why are you interested in Orlando? You don't mention in the post.
I certainly hope it isn't for our walkability or independent stores or low-cost grocers.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:29 AM

6 posts, read 9,207 times
Thank you all for your helpful replies! It can be pretty disorienting to look around rental sites/home sites just to get a feel for what would be available in a city you've yet to be to!

We are considering Orlando because we have received a job offer that is substantially more than we would be able to obtain in our current city (sort of a fluke-- it is not in our areas of experience or expertise, and the longer story probably isn't relevant). From the most basic cost of living calculator, I know that cost of living is higher. We are frugal people, though, and housing is our main expense.

Though we like to be NEAR a bar, some restaurants, coffee shops, and shops, we ourselves only utilize these on special occasions (save for a grocery store)-- and just like the feeling they give the neighborhood.

When we started to entertain moving to Orlando, it's largely because we're roughly under the impression that there is a neighborhood or many that we would like in any city-- because there always have been in the cities we have lived in, as well as any other city we've spent time in (for reference, DC, Brooklyn, Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Lansing) and any city we've done some investigative research about before-- but again, and here's the part that leaves me a fish out of water, is that though we've looked at and thought about tons of cities, it has only ever been East Coast or Midwest or upper South. Many of which have somewhat similar historical settlement patterns, meaning there is usually a well maintained or freshly reinvesting original-inner-ring-suburb-now-just-city-neighborhood with some small detached housing, sidewalks, and some close by walks of storefronts---- but it seems like that isn't really maybe Orlando doesn't have the same settlement history? I know that's a long ramble, but that's kind of what's worked for us so far / what we're thinking of and looking for / trying to know if exists / how to expand or shift our criteria on the non essentials while still getting a quality of life in the things that are really fun and important for us...

I hope that answers your question a little bit. I am so thankful for all the thoughts provided, and any more that anyone cares to share.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:51 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisErin View Post
When we started to entertain moving to Orlando, it's largely because we're roughly under the impression that there is a neighborhood or many that we would like in any city-- because there always have been in the cities we have lived in, as well as any other city we've spent time in (for reference, DC, Brooklyn, Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Lansing) and any city we've done some investigative research about before-- but again, and here's the part that leaves me a fish out of water, is that though we've looked at and thought about tons of cities, it has only ever been East Coast or Midwest or upper South. Many of which have somewhat similar historical settlement patterns, meaning there is usually a well maintained or freshly reinvesting original-inner-ring-suburb-now-just-city-neighborhood with some small detached housing, sidewalks, and some close by walks of storefronts---- but it seems like that isn't really maybe Orlando doesn't have the same settlement history?
That would be correct. Orlando evolved from a sleepy town of 99K in 1970 and from there the metro area exploded into an unplanned hodgepodge of suburban sprawl which largely continues today. The only option that comes to mind for you would be the College Park neighborhood which has a nice walkable "downtown" with a grocery store, restaurants and shops. It has a distinct identity and neighborhood pride that could make it a contender for you.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-81.3894297

Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
What you are describing really isn't Orlando at all.

The neighborhoods mentioned are appropriate, but not incredibly family (children) friendly.

Why are you interested in Orlando? You don't mention in the post.
I certainly hope it isn't for our walkability or independent stores or low-cost grocers.
I'm curious to know what cities or areas do you consider family friendly because I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, traveled around a good chunk of the world and found Orlando to probably be the most family friendly city I've seen. You don't really see any homeless people, sidewalks are everywhere, you can buy an actual house with a yard, plenty of gated communities or safe communities, tons of parks not over run by less desirables, not to mention all the theme parks, water parks and misc tourist attractions designed for the family, there are multiple beaches easy driving distance, lots of water activities such as kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, I mean the list goes on and on and on.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,460,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, traveled around a good chunk of the world and found Orlando to probably be the most family friendly city I've seen. You don't really see any homeless people, sidewalks are everywhere

Have you spent time in the Midwest?
Where the OP is from?
Where the starting point of comparison is?

Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Have you spent time in the Midwest?
Where the OP is from?
Where the starting point of comparison is?
I've spent some time in Akron and Kent and visited Minneapolis, Detroit, Dunkirk, Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, Fredonia, St. Joseph.

I've lived in a couple cities in Alaska, Seattle, San Francisco, Australia, Boca Raton, Daytona Beach, and of course Orlando. I've spent a lot of time, but haven't lived in Colorado, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, Austin plus other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando