Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm curious to know what cities or areas do you consider family friendly because I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, traveled around a good chunk of the world and found Orlando to probably be the most family friendly city I've seen. You don't really see any homeless people, sidewalks are everywhere, you can buy an actual house with a yard, plenty of gated communities or safe communities, tons of parks not over run by less desirables, not to mention all the theme parks, water parks and misc tourist attractions designed for the family, there are multiple beaches easy driving distance, lots of water activities such as kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, I mean the list goes on and on and on.
The varying Sunbelt cities that profess to be family-friendly in the end really aren't. The dependence upon a car to get around versus walking to stores or downtown along with the isolationist effect of gated communities and homes with attached garages doesn't help either. While there are sidewalks in most neighborhoods you'd be hard pressed to find kids outside playing on them. I don't see that much usage of parks either, probably due to the eight months of 90 degree weather we see. Theme parks are nice but the time and distance required to use them (not to mention cost) isn't something that fits into the normal life of most residents. Also a spur of the moment 60-90 minute drive to the beach isn't common and more of a plan in advance situation, especially with kids. Perspective is an important consideration since personal situations and perceptions vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:04 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The varying Sunbelt cities that profess to be family-friendly in the end really aren't. The dependence upon a car to get around versus walking to stores or downtown along with the isolationist effect of gated communities and homes with attached garages doesn't help either. While there are sidewalks in most neighborhoods you'd be hard pressed to find kids outside playing on them. I don't see that much usage of parks either, probably due to the eight months of 90 degree weather we see. Theme parks are nice but the time and distance required to use them (not to mention cost) isn't something that fits into the normal life of most residents. Also a spur of the moment 60-90 minute drive to the beach isn't common and more of a plan in advance situation, especially with kids. Perspective is an important consideration since personal situations and perceptions vary.
I personally think Orlando is the ideal type of city for families, it's one of the reasons why I moved here because when I do start a family, Orlando was at the top of my list from all my travels and experiences. I want my future children to be exposed to people from around the world, I want to be able to afford a nice home in a nice area with a yard, I want them to be able to ride bikes on the sidewalks (most cities you'll get ticketed instantly), I don't want my kids to be exposed to homeless people to/from school, I want them to have an active lifestyle such as going to the one of many springs, kayaking, tubing, beach, snorkeling, boating etc, the list goes on and on. A 60-90 minute drive is no big deal, I used to go weekend fishing trips in Alaska where it would take 3 hours each way. Urban cities are great without kids, but they are a pain in the ass with kids. With that being said, I'm enjoying my time without kids, so while that was one of the biggest considerations for Orlando, I don't plan on starting a family for at least 5 years at the very minimum.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 02-13-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Audubon Park, Ivanhoe Village, College Park, anything around Lake Eola and Colonialtowne come to mind.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
I'm curious to know what cities or areas do you consider family friendly because I've lived in 8 cities, 2 countries, traveled around a good chunk of the world and found Orlando to probably be the most family friendly city I've seen. You don't really see any homeless people, sidewalks are everywhere, you can buy an actual house with a yard, plenty of gated communities or safe communities, tons of parks not over run by less desirables, not to mention all the theme parks, water parks and misc tourist attractions designed for the family, there are multiple beaches easy driving distance, lots of water activities such as kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, I mean the list goes on and on and on.
Orlando is a pretty family friendly city, that said- the walkable parts of Orlando are far more geared towards older adults (Winter Park)and 20-something-alcoholics (Mills/Downtown). Another poster mentioned College Park which actually is a pretty decent fit. Though I'd currently advise against Lee Middle and Edgewater high. Can't have it all.

The OP is describing a walkable neighborhood within a city. Orlando is more a massive suburb. I'd never recommend anyone to consider living here without a car.

I see homeless people, every single day. Have you never driven OBT, Walked Orange Avenue, Been to any of the parks downtown? I was even hit up for change last time I was on Park Ave.
They're not glaring-California-level homeless. The situation is quite real though.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Orlando is a pretty family friendly city, that said- the walkable parts of Orlando are far more geared towards older adults (Winter Park)and 20-something-alcoholics (Mills/Downtown). Another poster mentioned College Park which actually is a pretty decent fit. Though I'd currently advise against Lee Middle and Edgewater high. Can't have it all.

The OP is describing a walkable neighborhood within a city. Orlando is more a massive suburb. I'd never recommend anyone to consider living here without a car.

I see homeless people, every single day. Have you never driven OBT, Walked Orange Avenue, Been to any of the parks downtown? I was even hit up for change last time I was on Park Ave.
They're not glaring-California-level homeless. The situation is quite real though.
Winter Park is probably one of the model cities in the country for families, it's in line with La Jolla, San Mateo, various other small high end communities with a nice little downtown. It's safe, has great schools, walk-able, bike-able, has a beautiful park, a family friendly main street (basically expensive retail, candy stores, and restaurants)... I mean you can't imagine a more perfect family community than Winter Park. Windermere is another family friendly area. These areas are expensive for Orlando standards though, but for other parts of the country that give anti-Orlandoites orgasms thinking about how green the other side must be, even these cities are cheap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP wants to sell their car and move with his/her family only getting around on foot. From what I understood, she/he simply wants to live in an area where you can walk around, but doesn't plan on seeing the doctor, getting groceries, going out to dinner, taking the kids to school etc all without ever setting foot in a car.

And comparing OBT to make a point about homeless? Honestly, even OBT from I-4 to Sand Lake has less homeless than a couple blocks in San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. People in Orlando are quite spoiled when it comes to this lol. I go to Lake Eola every weekend pretty much and it's absolutely nothing compared to virtually any urban city in the entire country. If that seems like a lot to you, then good luck ever surviving anywhere in California, Portland, Seattle, etc lol.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Winter Park is probably one of the model cities in the country for families, it's in line with La Jolla, San Mateo, various other small high end communities with a nice little downtown. It's safe, has great schools, walk-able, bike-able, has a beautiful park, a family friendly main street (basically expensive retail, candy stores, and restaurants)... I mean you can't imagine a more perfect family community than Winter Park. Windermere is another family friendly area. These areas are expensive for Orlando standards though, but for other parts of the country that give anti-Orlandoites orgasms thinking about how green the other side must be, even these cities are cheap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP wants to sell their car and move with his/her family only getting around on foot. From what I understood, she/he simply wants to live in an area where you can walk around, but doesn't plan on seeing the doctor, getting groceries, going out to dinner, taking the kids to school etc all without ever setting foot in a car.

And comparing OBT to make a point about homeless? Honestly, even OBT from I-4 to Sand Lake has less homeless than a couple blocks in San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. People in Orlando are quite spoiled when it comes to this lol. I go to Lake Eola every weekend pretty much and it's absolutely nothing compared to virtually any urban city in the entire country. If that seems like a lot to you, then good luck ever surviving anywhere in California, Portland, Seattle, etc lol.
Here's the OPs requests.

We love having easy walkable access to playgrounds, playdate groups, parks, trails, libraries, coffee shops, restaurants, and independent businesses, and an affordable grocery store.

Possibly covered by Winter Park. College Park missing libraries and access to trails.

We would prefer a racially and socioeconomically diverse neighborhood.

Not Winter Park by a long shot.

We need it to be affordable-- and because we have the Midwest as a reference point, that might be a hard ask!

While relative- the walkable neighborhoods of Orlando are far above the mean income in the county. Most Orlando residents are not making La Jolla and San Mateo money.

I am not a big fan of apartment complex buildings aesthetically for myself, and would really prefer to live in a house/part of a house/etc, although I guess would be open to a more modern loft if it meant the dream neighborhood.

Few modern lofts in Orlando. We're filled with apartment complex buildings. Dream homes are available too. It's all about what one is willing to pay.

Lake Eola has a slew of homeless. You may be missing them. Have you ever been from 4-6PM on a weekday? Weekends beyond 7pm? Have you ever stepped foot into or in front of the Orlando Public Library any day of the week? Even stopped at traffic lights on my way downtown at Orange or on Amelia- I'm perpetually being asked for money.

Yes, it's a mass less than the West Coast. It's still not insignificant in numbers and is a symptom of an area with cost of living well above the deflated salaries of the area.
I've lived in SF and it's disgusting that nothing is being done about what is a serious problem there. What qualifies as standard behavior there would get you arrested in Boston and New York.

The OP's dream would be better suited for Plant City, Gainesville, Savannah (GA). Unless they've got a good amount of money to start with.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Here's the OPs requests.

We love having easy walkable access to playgrounds, playdate groups, parks, trails, libraries, coffee shops, restaurants, and independent businesses, and an affordable grocery store.

Possibly covered by Winter Park. College Park missing libraries and access to trails.

We would prefer a racially and socioeconomically diverse neighborhood.

Not Winter Park by a long shot.

We need it to be affordable-- and because we have the Midwest as a reference point, that might be a hard ask!

While relative- the walkable neighborhoods of Orlando are far above the mean income in the county. Most Orlando residents are not making La Jolla and San Mateo money.

I am not a big fan of apartment complex buildings aesthetically for myself, and would really prefer to live in a house/part of a house/etc, although I guess would be open to a more modern loft if it meant the dream neighborhood.

Few modern lofts in Orlando. We're filled with apartment complex buildings. Dream homes are available too. It's all about what one is willing to pay.

Lake Eola has a slew of homeless. You may be missing them. Have you ever been from 4-6PM on a weekday? Weekends beyond 7pm? Have you ever stepped foot into or in front of the Orlando Public Library any day of the week? Even stopped at traffic lights on my way downtown at Orange or on Amelia- I'm perpetually being asked for money.

Yes, it's a mass less than the West Coast. It's still not insignificant in numbers and is a symptom of an area with cost of living well above the deflated salaries of the area.
I've lived in SF and it's disgusting that nothing is being done about what is a serious problem there. What qualifies as standard behavior there would get you arrested in Boston and New York.

The OP's dream would be better suited for Plant City, Gainesville, Savannah (GA). Unless they've got a good amount of money to start with.
I go out in downtown quite often and to me even downtown has very little homeless compared to most urban cities and when you compare it to the beloved liberal cities, it has virtually zero in comparison.

The homeless situation in SF is caused by the enabling of homelessness by the local government. The city spends over $100 million on homeless needs in San Francisco in one year. It's a waste of money, it's like giving a drug addict a brand new home while still allowing them access to drugs.

When people want a walk-able area, they generally are fine with living in a small apartment. That is the trade off and what makes an urban environment. You need a big population in a concentrated area and that doesn't happen when everyone lives in nice big houses.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 AM

73 posts, read 64,995 times
Orlando is an area I would avoid for a multitude of reasons;principally high crime and bad schools.
That said, The best areas are:
Dr. Phillips
Windermere
Lake Nona
Baldwin Park
Winter Springs
Longwood

Old 02-14-2017, 06:12 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I go out in downtown quite often and to me even downtown has very little homeless compared to most urban cities and when you compare it to the beloved liberal cities, it has virtually zero in comparison.

The homeless situation in SF is caused by the enabling of homelessness by the local government. The city spends over $100 million on homeless needs in San Francisco in one year. It's a waste of money, it's like giving a drug addict a brand new home while still allowing them access to drugs.
Clearly as stated prior you must be working with the infamous Orlando rose-colored glasses with the blinder attachment. Downtown Orlando, particularly around Lake Eola and in the heart of downtown is thick with the homeless. I read not too long ago that Orlando has the highest number of homeless among all mid-sized American cities.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:01 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
I've never been to San Fran or other Cali cities similar in size, but I think Orlando has its fair share of a lot of homeless people. Being downtown everyday for work, there's large numbers of them walking around, begging for change, sitting on trash cans as business people walk right by, going into restaurants begging for food. It may not be as many as San Fran, but I think it's still a bad issue that Orlando has to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando