Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:23 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times

Advertisements

These were the district names proposed for the new high school on 535 & Ficquette Rd. (or 535 and Summerport Village)

Windermere High School
Lake Butler High School
Windermere Groves High School
Windermere Lakes High School

So, the property is in Unincorporated Orange County, with a Windermere Postal Zone.

Every neighborhood that feeds into the school is in Unincorporated Orange County, including Independence (which is served by Winter Garden post office) and the neighborhoods of West Orange County that go by a mix of Windermere or 'Orlando', or the small portions of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

I don't think a single home in the actual town of Windermere would be zoned to go here, rather Olympia.

Is this part of town, somtimes called Horizons West, ever going to have a real name? at one point won't 34786 and 34787 be large enough that another post office will be built, and at that time wont everything return to being called "Orlando"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:13 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
I think it's important to choose the right name as well as often times schools are named for their communities or communities become synonymous with their schools.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Realistically, the best name would be West Orange High School, and to rename West Orange to Winter Garden High, but I don't see that happening.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Maybe they should just go with Horizon's West High.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:28 PM

215 posts, read 279,502 times
The school is not in Horizon West- that's on the other side of 535. Also, there will be two future high schools that WILL be built in Horizon West that may want to use the name.

My other issue with it is the fact that no one gets the name right- Horizons West, Horizon's West...Heck, it's been written incorrectly in this post.

I am not opposed to Lake Butler as that area is known by the name. I would be open to another idea if someone had any ideas that didn't have Windermere in the name. Some family used to own the land- I would even name it after them. Walt Disney HS has been suggested- I know there are a few schools named Walt Disney across the US, but OCPS will never do that without Disney bucking up- and the other schools didn't get any money for it. I am more annoyed by the ridiculous mascot names, the suggested list was not good, and some guy is pushing Dragons- really not a fan of mythical creatures.

They say eventually Horizon West will get its own zip code- and then I guess it would be called Horizon West, Florida. But again, the relief high school is on the other side of 535 and not "in" it.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:49 AM

I like Lake Butler.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:57 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Lake Butler might cause confusion with the other high school in Lake Butler up I-75. Windermere High is the best name. Rezoning can put Windermere kids there. Olympia will eventually get zoned east.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Lake Butler might cause confusion with the other high school in Lake Butler up I-75. Windermere High is the best name. Rezoning can put Windermere kids there. Olympia will eventually get zoned east.
I can't see a reason why they'd rezone into the school zone that is anticipated to get more crowded. If they wanted to annex part of Olympia's zone they would have done it from the get go.

Hence, I find Windermere High a silly name since it's not actually in Windermere and no residents of Windermere would attend it.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:42 AM

215 posts, read 279,502 times
Here's the second round of voting- apparently the grass roots DRAGON campaign stuck, ugh! Horizon is better than Horizon West but still.....not much thinking beyond the obvious ones. Ultimately, the Principal gets to make the final selection.

1. The name of the High School should be:
HORIZON HIGH SCHOOL
LAKE BUTLER HIGH SCHOOL
WINDERMERE HIGH SCHOOL
WINDERMERE GROVES HIGH SCHOOL
WINDERMERE LAKES HIGH SCHOOL
2. The mascot of the High School should be:
COYOTES
DRAGONS
GATORS
HAWKS
WOLVERINES
3. The colors of the High School should be:
BLUE, GREY, WHITE
GREEN, GREY, WHITE
GREEN, WHITE, BLACK
NAVY, BRIGHT GREEN, SILVER
RED, GOLD, BLACK

Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM

27 posts, read 22,406 times
In case anyone is interested - Windermere High School

New west Orange high school gets its name: Windermere High School - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando