Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM

20 posts, read 97,486 times

Advertisements

I agree with you so much about getting involved. Kudos!

I posted my response because it seems that the majority of the information posted on this site regarding 32828 area or Avalon park is negative. I find it tragic that people go online to vent but never say anything positive. As a whole, we cannot rightfully get on the computer and complain without taking acting. If we do we are part of the problem not part of the solution.

I started working with one of the Sheriffs running for office to set up an open meeting with residents in Avalon. So, we can discuss crimes, prevention and be better education. As always, we are going to ask for more patroling. Even though, we get turned down or get excuses. However, we will go out & canvas our village to get more block captains. The more educated residents the more likely we are to be able to combat crimes effectively. It will make our Village safer as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 790 times
The issue of these upper/middle class areas (As a resident of Eastwood for three years.) is that the youth in the area are overprivileged. A high rate of these young men/women, and even teenagers in the area cannot support themselves. However, they will do anything to support their drug habits. Avalon Park, Waterford and Eastwood are full of these young folks who cannot support themselves, however are enslaved to expensive drug habits. After Mommy and Daddy's money runs out, they can't get their expensive drugs; which lead to many crimes in the area.

As a member of L.E. myself as a Criminology Student I believe that a small increase of patrolling would suffice, minimally. The responsibility of these senseless crimes, I believe at the root of things rent upon the shoulders of the East Orlando parent...

That would be an entire other essay lol - God bless and please return your food for thought

Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanaChat View Post
Most residents do not call in suspiecious activities/ people because they do not want to be considered paranoid.
First off, I think that it's pretty presumptuous to say that people shouldn't live in nice areas or have nice things unless they want to be victims--that's ridiculous.

By the same token, anyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to suspecious activity in their neighborhood is a fool that will soon be parted with their money.

I think one of the things that has kept my neighborhood safe and fairly crime free has been the active neighborhood watch program and the fact that we aren't afraid to call the police to report suspicious activity. The police seem quite happy to respnd and check things out as well.

(And I do agree with you, leaving cars and homes unlocked and property not secured is asking for it to be stolen, even in the very best of neighborhoods.)

Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
[quote=throwedlikenerf;13485992]The issue of these upper/middle class areas (As a resident of Eastwood for three years.) is that the youth in the area are overprivileged. I live close to you and I dont necessarily agree. I dont think a lot of these kids are overpriviledged, I think a lot of them have parents that arent the greatest citizens either. A high rate of these young men/women, and even teenagers in the area cannot support themselves. However, they will do anything to support their drug habits. That may be, but again, I think many of the folks in here come from bad areas of other states/countries. Avalon Park, Waterford and Eastwood are full of these young folks who cannot support themselves, however are enslaved to expensive drug habits. After Mommy and Daddy's money runs out, they can't get their expensive drugs; which lead to many crimes in the area.

As a member of L.E. myself as a Criminology Student I believe that a small increase of patrolling would suffice, minimally. The responsibility of these senseless crimes, I believe at the root of things rent upon the shoulders of the East Orlando parent... I think a lot of it are cultural differences and I think a lot of the young people in here come from far worse areas, and they dont seem to shed that attitude.

That would be an entire other essay lol - God bless and please return your food for thought.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
First off, I think that it's pretty presumptuous to say that people shouldn't live in nice areas or have nice things unless they want to be victims--that's ridiculous.

By the same token, anyone who chooses to turn a blind eye to suspecious activity in their neighborhood is a fool that will soon be parted with their money.

I think one of the things that has kept my neighborhood safe and fairly crime free has been the active neighborhood watch program and the fact that we aren't afraid to call the police to report suspicious activity. The police seem quite happy to respnd and check things out as well.

(And I do agree with you, leaving cars and homes unlocked and property not secured is asking for it to be stolen, even in the very best of neighborhoods.)
^^^ my dad in western NC doesnt lock his front door a lot of times when running errands, etc. Not a high dollar neighborhood, just middle class. Never has had a problem of any kind. I think it depends on where you are. Anyone can get their stuff stolen, I agree. But in FL, it seems like wherever you are, the need to lock your car and doors at home seem to be a must.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ my dad in western NC doesnt lock his front door a lot of times when running errands, etc. Not a high dollar neighborhood, just middle class. Never has had a problem of any kind. I think it depends on where you are. Anyone can get their stuff stolen, I agree. But in FL, it seems like wherever you are, the need to lock your car and doors at home seem to be a must.
I've lived in a lot of places from very rural (former farmhand cottage on a dairy farm) in upstate (I mean the "real" Upstate) NY to inner city. I've always locked my doors. It's just common sense.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
This thread is dated March 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando