Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM

66 posts, read 78,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83austin83 View Post
Really, is this what we've come to? No chance at civilized conversation without having to be called racist? What in my post was racist?

All I said was yes Puerto Ricans have changed the culture here. There are more Puerto Rican restaurants here, more of an overall Spanish influence in terms of food, music and culture, more traffic and more places that someone can't go to unless they speak Spanish. Many restaurants in Kissimmee have menus only in Spanish and have staff who only speak Spanish, so if you don't speak Spanish you will have a hard time dining at those establishments.

And yes I do believe a lot of the traffic problems, especially on 417, can be attributed to the increase of Puerto Ricans here in the area. Let me ask you this, what areas does the 417 pass on its way east towards Orlando International Airport? Let me remind you, Kissimmee, Hunter's Creek, Buenaventura Lakes and St. Cloud. ALL of these areas are heavily Hispanic, with most of them being Puerto Ricans. In fact from what I remember Buenaventura Lakes is the most heavily Puerto Rican dominated area in all of Florida. And to answer your question, yes I see A LOT of cars on the 417 that have Puerto Rican flags on them (whether on the window or an actual flag). I think it's very safe to say that the increase in Puerto Ricans is a big reason why traffic on 417 has in the last 5 years gone from non-existent to terrible. It stinks because it used to be that you could use 417 if I-4 traffic was really bad or I-4 was shut down due to an accident. Now there really is no way to get around the terrible traffic.

The previous poster had said whites can run but can't hide. My response was that most whites (outside of maybe the truly poor bottom 20%) can run and hide if they want to. I never said they would but to say they can't is factually false. And in fact as others have noted we are probably going to see a white migration from Central Florida just like we saw a white migration from South Florida back in the 80s and 90s.

I'm not saying Whites will leave Florida simply due to the increasing Hispanic population. I'm saying you are going to see whites (whether they are in hispanic areas or not) leaving Florida, including Orlando, due to the increase in traffic, taxes, fees and overall COL. They quality of life in a lot of Florida, including Orlando, has simply gone downhill. This is already happening, a lot of northeast snowbirds are leaving Florida for North Carolina so that they can still get better weather and souther hospitality but also be closer to their family and friends in the northeast. I think you are going to see a lot of whites leave Florida for other southern states, particularly North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia.

Many hispanics will not go to those areas as most hispanics like to stay in areas where there are a lot of their own kind. Most hispanics also do not like colder weather and Florida offers them a climate similar to the Caribbean. It's simply human nature that a lot of people (not all of course, but a lot) like to be around their own kind. The average white person is probably going to have more in common with another white person than they are a hispanic person, simply due to the culture. The average black person is going to have more in common with another black person than they are an asian person, again due to culture and upbringing. What I find ironic is that you have no problems with hispanics, blacks and asians staying in communities where their ethnic group dominates (Puerto Ricans in Kissimmee, Cubans in Miami, Japanese in San Francisco, Blacks in Chicago, etc.) but when whites do that you are the type who would consider that racist? Isn't that a hypocritical viewpoint?
06/17/19
Can't wait for that to happen so, I can move up to those places where the pay and weather is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM

116 posts, read 137,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
People generally don't white flight for Hispanics. I don't think it's a big issue since the late 70s in most places anymore. Where I grew up white flight was replaced by Hispanics buying homes and that saved the area.
Not in Florida it isn't uncommon in the Northeast. Essentially Hispanics have white status in Florida even if they're not physically White.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Not in Florida it isn't uncommon in the Northeast. Essentially Hispanics have white status in Florida even if they're not physically White.
No, they do not

Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 PM

116 posts, read 137,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, they do not
mugshots.ocala.com

mugshots.ocala.com

mugshots.ocala.com

mugshots.ocala.com

mugshots.ocala.com

mugshots.ocala.com

All these latinos have a W have marked for White in race column.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:06 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
You are right. Someone identified them as white. And it wasn't them.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:04 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
Well, that's pretty ridiculous. Some of those guys look more black than they do white.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Lake Nona (32,28,27) is now about 48% Hispanic from the 2018 Census Tract Estimates.. up from about 37% in 2010. LNHS went from 47% to 54% Hispanic during that time too... even with cutting off most of the Semoran area from the district which had tracts of 90%+ Hispanic.

Point is, a better well off blue collar suburb of Orlando is turning Hispanic very fast. I like to see this chain. Now, if we can stop these god awful chains from coming to the area. You Floridians are obsessed with chains... hopefully an influx of Puerto Ricans can change that as they expand their cultural footprint and open shop.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:06 PM
aax

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Lake Nona (32,28,27)
Point is, a better well off blue collar suburb of Orlando is turning Hispanic very fast. I like to see this chain. Now, if we can stop these god awful chains from coming to the area. You Floridians are obsessed with chains...
Not everyone wears gold chains.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Not everyone wears gold chains.
Chains= Food Chains (Chilis, Applebees, Starbucks, Dunky Dunks, Papa Johns, Culvers, Dominos, Jersey Mikes)

Old 06-26-2019, 08:00 AM
aax

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chains= Food Chains (Chilis, Applebees, Starbucks, Dunky Dunks, Papa Johns, Culvers, Dominos, Jersey Mikes)
Those places aren't going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando