Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
How do you know who is and who isn't?
Do you assume all African Americans are descendants of slaves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..aren't almost all black Caribbeans descendants of slaves?
Maybe calling it multi-generation black American is better, than bringing up slavery, which is a definite trigger for some people. I'm sure the worldview of a black person from Birmingham, AL is totally different than someone whose parents or themselves moved here from Haiti.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 19,760 times
why does it matter who is a descendant of a slave? no one today was ever a slave or had parents or even grandparents who were slaves. assuming we all live in america, we all have the same legal rights and rules to play by. race does not hold anyone back from success and pursuing their dreams. if anything its more beneficial to be a minority given affirmative action and all the racial quotas companies and schools try to meet. you will always find individual people who are racist but to act like this is the reason you are jobless or unsuccessful is an invalid argument

Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtread View Post
why does it matter who is a descendant of a slave? no one today was ever a slave or had parents or even grandparents who were slaves. assuming we all live in america, we all have the same legal rights and rules to play by. race does not hold anyone back from success and pursuing their dreams. if anything its more beneficial to be a minority given affirmative action and all the racial quotas companies and schools try to meet. you will always find individual people who are racist but to act like this is the reason you are jobless or unsuccessful is an invalid argument
Some people would rather complain and look for excuses rather than to be proactive in making positive life choices.

I'm black. I have been in Orlando for some 15 years or so. I have never had ANY issue whatsoever here.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:56 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Some people would rather complain and look for excuses rather than to be proactive in making positive life choices.

I'm black. I have been in Orlando for some 15 years or so. I have never had ANY issue whatsoever here.
I am not a race-baiter, but after seeing the Reconstruction documentary on PBS, I realized that the deck was stacked against black people more than many realized. For a moment, it looked like all was going well after the Civil War. Then the South started sending former Confederate officers and politicians to Congress and then a new president didn't care as much about continuing reconstruction. It took almost 100 more years to correct that mess, at least on paper.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 PM

14 posts, read 8,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post

I'm from a big east coast city and when I travel around back up north a lot of people ask me what it's like to live in Florida. Especially black folks. I'm going to be straight up, if*your Black American I suggest you shouldn't consider moving to Orlando or Central Florida for that matter. Especially if your under 30. Here's why:

1- Job market is dismal and shrinking.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau...mpression=true

Florida has some the lowest wages in America

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...ew-study-finds

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-on-_170984118

Everything else I say from this point is going to be based on my experience of living in Orlando for over half a decade as well as living in other parts of Central Florida for roughly another half-decade.

2- Orlando is relatively devoid of culture. Is mainly a tourist town it's a lot of attractions here that are mostly for the out-of-towners that come to see the mouse and go to the other not so amusing amusement parks. People talk about Eatonville but in reality it isn't much Black Culture here.

3- Job discrimination is opening in your face. It's not challenged or frowned upon. In FAQ one of the reasons why I specify black American it's because you rarely see any black Americans working in a lot of places here. You may come across some Caribbean black people but few American descendants of slaves.

4- The racism here is on the Jim Crow level in a lot of places. Especially North and South of Orange County.* Farther north you go to deeper in the South you are.

5- Lunatics abound in Florida. Just Google it . Florida tends to attract a lot of the dregs of society for whatever reason. Pedophiles and weirdos seem to have made a homestead here. Beastality and other ungodly practices seem to be common.

6- There is a good amount of tension between the non-white ethnic groups have. By some accounts is not as bad as they say Miami but it is very noticeable. There are many Puerto Ricans here. Some from the lsland of Puerto Rico some from the NY area. The ones that live in Orlando area or unlike some of the ones you will meet up north. They seem to really not like black people. So if your get on the* job with them don't* be surprised if they are scamming to get you fired. And if you go to the register at the gas station to pump gas they may throw your change back in your face. Some of them can pass for Black as well so they're prejudiced might confuse you.

There are also some South Americans here to they're not much different then Puerto Ricans from the islands. You also be surprised who considers themselves white here. It might be somebody that looks just like you but is classified as white. You'll find these Dynamics very peculiar yet interesting

Some of the West Indies live in in Orlando have a superiority complex or or just generally ignorant about Black American descendants of slaves culture and history. Among the West Indians hear the Haitians are the most look down upon and seem to be treated even worse then black Americans. However there still some division between there too.

7- While I don't have children I will say that the educational system he doesn't seem to be* good at all. And I'm just looking at the people who produces in this state. As I write this* post the state is considering putting in the teachers hands guns at schools here. How somebody thought that was a good idea I don't know.

I'm pretty sure this will generate a lot of discussion. I don't know how many people that visit this forum are actually black American descendants of slaves but if you considering moving to Orlando or Central Florida from another location these are a few things to consider.
I found this post informative - and would like to know more. I too am from NYC and have been contemplating moving to ORL/Tampa and actually plan to in the coming months. Have been wanting to since I was in my mid-twenties, and now mid-thirties I am tired of the NNJ/NYC hustle and bustle, I just can't decide which (Orlando/Tampa) would be best, though I am more familiar with Orlando which is what brought me here to the forums, and I am actively reading the Tampa forum as well.

Ironically, I happen to be both West Indian (Black - Guyanese) and Latino (Cuban), culturally Caribbean, but outwardly look more Latino due to my fair skin and curly hair. I can say growing up in a mostly Caribbean household, they are weary of Black American culture and can be biased, as often times growing up as a first-generation Caribbean-American being warned about my "Americanized activity" or what is perceived to be non-conforming.

I figured Orlando (possibly even Tampa) would be a good fit for a younger Healthcare Administrator due to the fact that I could easily blend into both worlds - but have worried about the other factors you mentioned such as the possible racism/profiling from non-colored folks as far as career growth and reception to living/shopping in mixed areas or even high-scale areas where people of color aren't as prominent. Growing up in NYC, and being in Healthcare Administration (where POC and men are a minority), I have learned to be tolerable and embrace different walks of life, but want the same if I decide to make this move, knowing the wages are definitely less than the metro NYC area.

Where did you go when you left Orlando?

Last edited by LexNYC; 05-10-2019 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,857 times
He's right though, the PR and the blacks do not get along here.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,202,620 times
Quote:
Latinos in general, regardless of race or looks, don't like black Americans. Many will befriend you if you are black from another Latino country, but they themselves will tell you they don't like black Americans. Even black Latinos tend to not like black Americans. Blame it on the media and some bad experience many go through with black Americans. Puerto Ricans are no different from other Latino groups, except many that are from New York are more open to black Americans. They been in the US when Jim Crow laws was in the books, so many Nuyoricans have sympathies with black Americans. Most Latinos came after Jim Crow, so they don't know how bad it was for non-whites.
It's not only black latinos. I've heard carribbean blacks say some of the most hateful things about American blacks and vice versa. They do not get along for the most part.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:49 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
It's not only black latinos. I've heard carribbean blacks say some of the most hateful things about American blacks and vice versa. They do not get along for the most part.
Different cultures live different lifestyles. It’s the same in Toronto, NYC, London, and Orlando. It’s like that anywhere where you have a melting pot from all walks of life. To make it seem like this is an Orlando issue, or an issue at all, is as ignorant as it gets.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:54 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,857 times
^ He was talking about hate speech, not different lifestyles. ^

Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
This thread and the original post is a joke.

Orlando is devoid of culture yeah ok lol.

CFL is racist?? Yeah freaking right.

Go back to your segregated and old Brooklyn, you probably belong there.
Orlando only welcomes the open minded and you've shown yourself to be the opposite.

Also don't know what black culture is. Must be a New York thing as we all get along and share a unified culture down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando